NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jordan Howard 2017 Season Outlook

Just now, bigbluecrew56 said:

Mitchell Trubisky era should be coming soon. I think this will help Howard. 

I don't think it will have much of a factor but i cant see him being any worse than Glennon even as a rookie. By putting in Trubisky the WR's aren't suddenly going to become amazing they're still garbage. But I think Howard will be fine regardless.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing i noticed for sure last night was chicago is committed to gettin this dude to the pro bowl. feeding him down 28 while his shoulders gimpy just to get the touchdown proved that. trubisky turns this dude into a set and forget rb1. right now hes an rb2 w/ upside. would love to see his shoulder get some rest tho

How is he not already an RB1? 3 out of 4 weeks with double digit points with a massive 30 bomb just shows you he can get it done.

Everyone has their stinkers but as long as he can play, they are going to give him the rock and GL touches.  Low-end RB1 easy and should be started weekly.

9 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

How is he not already an RB1? 3 out of 4 weeks with double digit points with a massive 30 bomb just shows you he can get it done.

Everyone has their stinkers but as long as he can play, they are going to give him the rock and GL touches.  Low-end RB1 easy and should be started weekly.

that 0.7 pts stinker / CohenMania / the overall mood about Da Bears/ Sprained Shoulder

Plus he is not a sexy runner... and doesn't have a "name brand"

7 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

i think low end rb1 and high end rb2 is just an example of semantics. he had one week with 140 yards on the ground and then the other three weeks combined for 115 yards. he's still dropping everything in the short passing game. goal line work helps but he's not gonna get that consistently until trubiski gets in there. 

3 minutes ago, Szer0 said:

that 0.7 pts stinker / CohenMania / the overall mood about Da Bears/ Sprained Shoulder

Plus he is not a sexy runner... and doesn't have a "name brand"

Yeah I hear you.

Look at Lesean McCoy - has the "name brand" but two straight stinkers and still no TDs yet everyone thinks he's a sure-fire RB1.  FF can be super fickle. 

3 hours ago, ludawg23 said:

Consider yourself lucky if you started Howard - go out and buy a lotto ticket.

Any normal coach would have benched him but John Fox gonna John Fox.  I'll certainly take it but a ton of headscratchers from Fox.

10 mins left in the 4th and down by 28

Fox: Let's establish the run with Howard!

Dude catches a pass and is in visible pain.

Super late in the 4th.

Run 2 plays with Benny and then 3rd and 1...let's bring in Howard!!

Late plunge for a TD to salvage a fantasy day but boy, that is just not supposed to happen.  Either Fox has him on his fantasy team or he's rewarding a guy that is gutting it out.  Commendable but borderline insanity. 

Very true. But also - thank you John fox!

Injury, from what I hear, is painful but unlikely to be worsened by playing.

Don't know why they didn't start the way they finished, by pounding Howard and switching it up with Cohen every few plays. Like boxing, you pound the body and the opponent drops his hands, then you get the ko up top. The passing game is the jab, but lazy jabs get a fighter knocked out - and Chicago can't throw anything but weak, lazy jabs.

Going to say the same thing I said in Cohen thread (I have both, standard scoring): 2 home games Chicago looked legit, 2 road games they immediately turned the ball over multiple times and got blown out. 25% of the way through Chicago's season, it looks like a trend (at least with Glennon at QB). Plan accordingly.

Chicago is fascinating this year. Very old school, by necessity. Teams are really not set up to defend an offense like Chicago's, as long as the Bears commit to it. They should be running the ball 40 times a game.

Side note: Maybe trade for a burner. A 5th rounder could probably get them someone like Goodwin - or get a speed guy, regardless of hands, off waivers (Reggie Davis?) and throw a 5th at LAC for Tyrell (when Mike Williams starts playing) so they have a speedster, who even if he can't catch has to be covered, and a deep cross guy. Should loosen things up a little, and play action would be deadly. End side note.

If they commit to the run it'll be tough to stop. Modern NFL teams have nickel/dime heavy Ds (NFL network, prior to game, had an analyst breaking down GB's nitro package - 6 DBs - and the problems they had against the run with it) and generally lack the "core strength" to hold up all game against determined run scripts behind an excellent run-blocking line. Both road games have been the same story: early TOs leading to quick points knocking the Bears off balance from the get go. We're it not for the turnovers, which have been incredibly demoralizing (looking at you Mike Glennon) the Bears have a stout enough D to hang around. Think: if they go 3-and-out on the first three possessions (let's say 6 runs, 3 passes or 5/4 - that's 1.5-2 minutes TOP each w/o a first down even) and the opponent scores all three possessions, so long as they hold it to 2 FGs and 1 TD (and they did force punts from GB when it wasn't a short field) it's only 13-0; worst case 17-0. 13 is a deficit that can be overcome over the course of 2 or 3 quarters. This is worst case scenario. Ideally Chicago grinds down field, controls the clock, wears down the opposing D, and lomits opponent scoring opportunities. That's a game plan that can succeed; JUST DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER. How to limit turnovers? Run the Fn ball 40-50 times and stop trying to run a West Coast offense with freaking Mike Glennon and CFL practice squad WRs!

Sorry for the rant/essay yall.

I'm quite satisfied with Howard's 12 pts in a game that looked like it was going to be a repeat of the Tampa fiasco (it was in real life - but fantasy is what matters to us). Good news for JH going forward. Long live garbage time!

1 minute ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Don't know why they didn't start the way they finished, by pounding Howard and switching it up with Cohen every few plays. Like boxing, you pound the body and the opponent drops his hands, then you get the ko up top. The passing game is the jab, but lazy jabs get a fighter knocked out - and Chicago can't throw anything but weak, lazy jabs.

Going to say the same thing I said in Cohen thread (I have both, standard scoring): 2 home games Chicago looked legit, 2 road games they immediately turned the ball over multiple times and got blown out. 25% of the way through Chicago's season, it looks like a trend (at least with Glennon at QB). Plan accordingly.

Chicago is fascinating this year. Very old school, by necessity. Teams are really not set up to defend an offense like Chicago's, as long as the Bears commit to it. They should be running the ball 40 times a game.

Side note: Maybe trade for a burner. A 5th rounder could probably get them someone like Goodwin - or get a speed guy, regardless of hands, off waivers (Reggie Davis?) and throw a 5th at LAC for Tyrell (when Mike Williams starts playing) so they have a speedster, who even if he can't catch has to be covered, and a deep cross guy. Should loosen things up a little, and play action would be deadly. End side note.

If they commit to the run it'll be tough to stop. Modern NFL teams have nickel/dime heavy Ds (NFL network, prior to game, had an analyst breaking down GB's nitro package - 6 DBs - and the problems they had against the run with it) and generally lack the "core strength" to hold up all game against determined run scripts behind an excellent run-blocking line. Both road games have been the same story: early TOs leading to quick points knocking the Bears off balance from the get go. We're it not for the turnovers, which have been incredibly demoralizing (looking at you Mike Glennon) the Bears have a stout enough D to hang around. Think: if they go 3-and-out on the first three possessions (let's say 6 runs, 3 passes or 5/4 - that's 1.5-2 minutes TOP each w/o a first down even) and the opponent scores all three possessions, so long as they hold it to 2 FGs and 1 TD (and they did force punts from GB when it wasn't a short field) it's only 13-0; worst case 17-0. 13 is a deficit that can be overcome over the course of 2 or 3 quarters. This is worst case scenario. Ideally Chicago grinds down field, controls the clock, wears down the opposing D, and lomits opponent scoring opportunities. That's a game plan that can succeed; JUST DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER. How to limit turnovers? Run the Fn ball 40-50 times and stop trying to run a West Coast offense with freaking Mike Glennon and CFL practice squad WRs!

I'm quite satisfied with Howard's 12 pts in a game that looked like it was going to be a repeat of the Tampa fiasco (it was in real life - but fantasy is what matters to us). Good news for JH going forward. Long live garbage time!

Good post.

John Fox is awful though.  They scored a TD right before the half and received the ball first in the 2nd half.  Instead of staying with your bread and butter, Glennon goes no huddle and Howard doesn't touch the ball.  Crazy.

3 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Sounds like you, and I are on the same page, and recognize the rebirth of old school leather head football (to a small degree) :thumbs-up:

I'm a Howard owner, and I'm even doubting his RB1 status... and trust me when I say I believe and want him to be an RB1 extremely bad (DJ got hurt).

I'm not a fan of the extremely predictable play calling from the Bears, bad QB/WR combo, John Fox.... 

and that shoulder scares me.

Dude has mad heart tho

3 minutes ago, Blats said:

Thread is pretty quiet now. Do you think Trubisky benefits Howard?

I really don't think how he could make it worse.  At least Trubisky offers a possible threat at the QB position.  Trubisky showed in the preseason that he has better paocket presence than Glennon and is much more mobile.  He throws well when booting out too.  Just that alone adds something opposing defenses have to game plan for compared to what they had to with Glennon starting.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I really don't think how he could make it worse.  At least Trubisky offers a possible threat at the QB position.  Trubisky showed in the preseason that he has better paocket presence than Glennon and is much more mobile.  He throws well when booting out too.  Just that alone adds something opposing defenses have to game plan for compared to what they had to with Glennon starting.

He's definitely more athletic than Glennon is. Glennon just did not fit the offense one bit. Nor benefit it. 

1 hour ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Figures he gets a long TD taken back from a phantom holding call. Firm RB2 ROS.

I know that was an easy 10 point swing which would've put him over 100 yds, added a TD and likely made him a top 10 RB (points wise). I agree he is an RB2. Still can't get over taking him over Fournette I thought he was the safer option given his performance last year. There are some good signs though, Cohen no longer appears a threat and Trubinsky although he wasn't Watson was easily an improvement over Glennon and his running ability opens up interesting opportunities for Howard. Penalties and blatant drops also made Trubinsky look worse than he actually was (although he did make some mistakes like the interception which was under thrown and the fumble where he needs to have better pocket awareness). Better days ahead as Trubinsky develops and as long as Bears can stay in games Howard should be solid. I'm still going to try to package him in order to get a true RB 1 or WR 1.  

I don’t own any shares of Howard, but what are the coaches thinking? Let the guy run the ball instead of taking him out every other play.

i view him as a low end RB1 right now. Maybe 10th or so ROS. Coaches just need to let him run. 

46 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

That phantom holding call cost me my week.  

He SHOULD get more run now that Cohen has shown that he's Tavon Austin 2.0, but the fact that they never use him in the passing game hurts his value.  Admittedly, that is somewhat his fault after those drops earlier in the season.

Same here, I lost this week due to that call.  Unreal.  

I'm hoping, like many others, that having Trubisky bach there will help to open up the offense and not allow the D to stack the box.

2 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

He SHOULD get more run now that Cohen has shown that he's Tavon Austin 2.0, but the fact that they never use him in the passing game hurts his value.  Admittedly, that is somewhat his fault after those drops earlier in the season.

same. though he did look good pushing for extra yards. 

2 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Same here, lost by 0.6. The lack of passes hurts, and you're right, all on him. Think he led the league in drops for RBs last year. Still looked good for the most part, running hard while cohen looks like he's running around to the yakety sax tune.

3 hours ago, Psideresider said:

Same here, lost by 0.6. The lack of passes hurts, and you're right, all on him. Think he led the league in drops for RBs last year. Still looked good for the most part, running hard while cohen looks like he's running around to the yakety sax tune.

Yep, cost me game too.

How many games were lost on that refs call?  Too Fn many