Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, codyodea said:

Batting lead-off tonight.

WOOOOOOO!!!!!

Leadoff (114 games): .276/.389/.527

3rd (10 games): .222/.364/.250

Leadoff (80 games): .312/.389/.634

2nd (69 games): .225/.342/.357

Dude is meant to lead off. RBIs will go down, but runs should shoot up a bunch..although maybe not drastically. Gyorko was hitting the best on the team and was right behind him, however, he was never on base.

Edited by mtblock
16 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Thank you to the fantasy gods for Bronson Arroyo's continued presence on major league pitching mounds.

Arroyo, Bartolo, and Weaver are perfect for rebuilding teams. Sign the "crafty" veteran "clubhouse guy" onto your young squad. Looks like a sensible move on the surface, and lowers your teams winning percentage and consequently nets a better draft pick.

Just don't tell anyone that in this scenario, "crafty" is a euphemism for "sh**y" and "clubhouse guy" really means "has the best Bubba Kush" 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Bartolo and Dickey weren't added for clubhouse presence but to eat innings and help protect the young arms that Atlanta has. Why Weaver and Arroyo there can be no reason that is known to man except to help make Carpenter look better.

Another bomb.  I tend to discount things like batting order affecting a player's psychology, but he looks like a totally different hitter right now.  Glad I got in before the buy low window slammed shut.

17 hours ago, street sharks said:

Why the hell hasn't he been leading off this whole time?

XybBOUN.png

I believe you are on to something. 1800 at bats is a very strong trend. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Edited by Pablo989
Typo

Yeah he consciously changes his approach and launch angle to try and get more power at 3 or 4.  At 1 he can use his natural swing and take advantage of his plus on base skills.  I like the move.  He's just not a natural power rbi hitter. 

1 hour ago, TC84 said:

Yeah he consciously changes his approach and launch angle to try and get more power at 3 or 4.  At 1 he can use his natural swing and take advantage of his plus on base skills.  I like the move.  He's just not a natural power rbi hitter. 

If it took him a move to the 1-hole to realize he needed to fix his swing plane, I don't know why he was so stubborn to change and didn't do it earlier. But then again, I can't put anything past a guy who goes for 3rd with no one out and gets thrown out by a mile and won't own up to his mistake and then doubles down on it.

He's said in interviews this offseason that he feels like he HAS TO hit for power because there's nobody else to put in those lineup spots. I think it's a mental thing. 

Sure he can (or could) hit 20 bombs at .250 but that's not really the best use for him imo. 

23 minutes ago, TC84 said:

He's said in interviews this offseason that he feels like he HAS TO hit for power because there's nobody else to put in those lineup spots. I think it's a mental thing. 

Sure he can (or could) hit 20 bombs at .250 but that's not really the best use for him imo. 

I mean, in 2016 he hit 21 HRs (injured for a bit too), and hit .271. And in 2015 he hit 28 HRs while batting .272 with an OBP of .380 and .365 respectively. He can hit for power AND average AND high OBP.

4 minutes ago, bdawkins456 said:

A simple change in the lineup and he's back to hitting like crazy? This is nuts, but I am on board let's go Carp! You owe us down the stretch here for these 2.5 horrible months! Keep him leadoff Matheny!

Based off stats alone, he just hits better at the lead off spot,  mentally he just has a lead off approach.  Cards should really think about getting a power hitter in the future and just leave Carp in the leadoff. 

Feeling quite good about my buy-low right now. When he's clicking on all cylinders, his offense from the 2B spot is invaluable.

and props to Aizer and the CBS boys for being adamant that positive regression was coming, and we needn't worry.