NBC Sports Edge Forums

Charlie Morton 2017 Outlook

Charlie gets absolutely no love, but over his past 10 starts he's 7-2 with a 3.67 ERA and 73 k's in 61 ip. Great, great game last night (against the Phillies though). He's been an SP3 when on the mound this year. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rotoworld Advice: "He still doesn't figure to have the ERA and WHIP to be a real asset in mixed leagues..."   These guys are idiots.

Stick to your guns jdbob, these youngsters with their SIERAs are good for nothin anyways.  Next thing you know they'll be trying to convince ya to watch Moneyball and then all of a sudden you're a com

Posted Images

Musgrove and his 5.82 ERA won't be an issue, but it is a tough call. Peacock seems to be the one most capable of moving to the bullpen, but how can you do that given how well he has pitched? Fiers and Morton have similar numbers, both better than what McHugh did last year. Morton belongs in the rotation, but Rotoworld isn't wrong. He really could lose his spot. 

Maybe they go six--man rotation for a while? At least until they see a few starts from McHugh?

Edited by Piotr

Im going to assume with their big lead, they will shift Peacock to the pen to get ready for his role in the playoffs with Devenski as the two main bridges to Giles and most likely Britton 

2 minutes ago, cad300 said:

Im going to assume with their big lead, they will shift Peacock to the pen to get ready for his role in the playoffs with Devenski as the two main bridges to Giles and most likely Britton 

Will Harris should be rejoining the pen soon.  He has done a fine job setting up when healthy.

This discussion just goes to show you that when Houston is healthy, they are incredibly loaded in all facets of their roster. I'm not an Astros fan per se but this is a pretty special team and I hope they get the chance to show that in the playoffs.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Rho said:

i know he's pitched well lately, but is his rotation spot safe? houston has a ton of options, including moving to a 6 man rotation

Hinch has said he doesn't want to go to a 6 man rotation b/c it taxes the bullpen.

I think messing with Morton is the last thing Houston wants to do right now w/ McCullers maybe needing a maintenance DL trip, meantime Keuchel ramps up from his DL.  Also, the rotation pressure is reduced a little w/ Peacock being put in the pen.  

I think Morton is fine for now.

Edited by ragrag

Improves to (4-1) with a 3.23 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 9.39 k/9 in 5 starts since coming off the DL. Expand that to April 28th and he's 8-2 with a 3.61 era, 1.11 WHIP, 78 k's vs only 49 hits over his past 11 starts (67.1 ip). Hard hit and line drive % (coming into tonight) were way down since coming off the DL. I've seen his velo a tick down (still great though) and a bit more movement, so maybe that's led to something? Whatever the case, ground Chuck has been a solid sp3 whenever he's taken the mound since the end of April. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, ragrag said:

Hinch has said he doesn't want to go to a 6 man rotation b/c it taxes the bullpen.

I think messing with Morton is the last thing Houston wants to do right now w/ McCullers maybe needing a maintenance DL trip, meantime Keuchel ramps up from his DL.  Also, the rotation pressure is reduced a little w/ Peacock being put in the pen.  

I think Morton is fine for now.

okay, someone please explain the logic behind this statement, on the surface it seems ridiculous..  

• 1 month later...

Well, he’s officially going to finish inside of the top 100 on the final player rankings on Yahoo. Congratulations to everyone who drafted/bought/picked him up on waivers at some point this year. We got an 8th/9th round value for the cost of absolutely nothing. I drafted this guy in the final round in snakes and/or bought him with my last dollar in auctions on every single team and had this year. I still can’t believe people were saying that Morton was a waste of a pick in the 23rd round in 12 team leagues. Shame on you!

10 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Well, he’s officially going to finish inside of the top 100 on the final player rankings on Yahoo. Congratulations to everyone who drafted/bought/picked him up on waivers at some point this year. We got an 8th/9th round value for the cost of absolutely nothing. I drafted this guy in the final round in snakes and/or bought him with my last dollar in auctions on every single team and had this year. I still can’t believe people were saying that Morton was a waste of a pick in the 23rd round in 12 team leagues. Shame on you!

Definitely feels good. I have him in both leagues, and he did not disappoint. I do have to offer my thanks to all those who touted him early in this thread and gave logical reasons for their argument. It was persuasive, and they were correct. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where did this guy find that velocity?  Holy smokes.  He hit 99 a couple of times on the gun last night. 

I can't recall a guy with his progression in velocity EVER.  His average fastball as a rookie was 90.7 mph and he hovered around that area for most of his career and then all of the sudden it has increased each of the last three seasons from 92.0, 94.3, to a crazy 95.0 this season.  He turns 34 in 10 days. 

I've studies so many pitchers over the years and can't recall a guy going up like this in their mid-30s as a starter.  I remember Cliff Lee jumping up from 88 to 92ish as he got older, but I can't recall a guy jumping like Morton has the last two years.  Can anyone else recall a pitcher all of the sudden becoming an elite power pitcher in their mid-30s?  It's crazy.

Edited by The Czar

I wouldn't be surprised if weighted balls is what helped him. Ya, he says he tries to throw harder.. maybe thats true too. I know Benedict (pitching guy in PIT) is against weighted balls and when Charlie left, maybe he tried them out. It's also possible the pitch to contact approach the Pirates had was holding Charlie back, but... the velo increase is pretty drastic

He did say he changed his workout routine so I wouldn't be surprised if it was weighted balls that helped him

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...