NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lucas Erceg- 3B MIL

One of my fav dynasty prospects. Aggressively placed him at #35 on my personal list. Love him not only because the bat is special but also because he could move fast and the position is wide open in Milwaukee. Selected in the second round of last year’s draft, the 21-year-old hit .327/.376/.518 with nine homers, 51 RBI, and nine steals over 68 games during his first taste of pro ball. Might open year at AA?

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

One of my fav dynasty prospects. Aggressively placed him at #35 on my personal list. Love him not only because the bat is special but also because he could move fast and the position is wide open in Milwaukee. Selected in the second round of last year’s draft, the 21-year-old hit .327/.376/.518 with nine homers, 51 RBI, and nine steals over 68 games during his first taste of pro ball. Might open year at AA?

Big Erceg fan myself.. 

I'll be honest, I left him out of my personal T100, because I didn't know a whole lot about him.. after months of reading this off-season, that was probably a mistake. Really looking forward to seeing him this year. Looks like someone that can flat out hit..From what I did read, the reason he dropped was questions about his "makeup".. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was due to him "failing" out of Cal, or ended up leaving for whatever reason.. Some questions about him being successful do to playing at a small school..

Appears to started off his pro-career really well, excited to see what he brings to the table this year. 

• Like 2

Yea he ended up at Menlo Community College because he was not able to keep up academically at Cal, at least that is what I read. I also believe there were whispers of other 'off-field' stuff but his 'make-up' is supposedly very good...it's all rather clouded and difficult to decipher. But it's not hard to see that he can really hit, also he was a college closer with mid 90's heat so his arm is great for 3B...really quick footed too. Just a nice total package player. It says a lot that the Brewers brought him to camp.

• Like 1

I'll have to tell it like it is, he wasn't on my 1st year player draft list.

Happen to be drafting in another league where he was taken in the

2nd round, that opened my eyes and I drafted him in the 6th round

in a 7 round 12 teams dynasty league draft. Heard he has a big

Monday.

Brewers prospect third baseman Lucas Erceg made quite the impression Monday against the Indians, slugging two homers and driving in five runs as part of a 14-4 victory.

After entering the game as a pinch-runner in the fifth inning, Erceg launched a grand slam in the sixth inning before doing deep again with a solo shot in the eighth. Selected in the second round of last year’s draft, the 21-year-old hit .327/.376/.518 with nine homers, 51 RBI, and nine steals over 68 games during his first taste of pro ball. His prospect stock is rising by the minute.
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Topgun said:

I'll have to tell it like it is, he wasn't on my 1st year player draft list.

Happen to be drafting in another league where he was taken in the

2nd round, that opened my eyes and I drafted him in the 6th round

in a 7 round 12 teams dynasty league draft. Heard he has a big

Monday.

Brewers prospect third baseman Lucas Erceg made quite the impression Monday against the Indians, slugging two homers and driving in five runs as part of a 14-4 victory.

After entering the game as a pinch-runner in the fifth inning, Erceg launched a grand slam in the sixth inning before doing deep again with a solo shot in the eighth. Selected in the second round of last year’s draft, the 21-year-old hit .327/.376/.518 with nine homers, 51 RBI, and nine steals over 68 games during his first taste of pro ball. His prospect stock is rising by the minute.

Damn, just saw what he did yesterday... 

Wow. 

11 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yea he ended up at Menlo Community College because he was not able to keep up academically at Cal, at least that is what I read. I also believe there were whispers of other 'off-field' stuff but his 'make-up' is supposedly very good...it's all rather clouded and difficult to decipher. But it's not hard to see that he can really hit, also he was a college closer with mid 90's heat so his arm is great for 3B...really quick footed too. Just a nice total package player. It says a lot that the Brewers brought him to camp.

This was his quote from the Baseball America article on him:

Ultimately, Erceg couldn’t handle the load—school, sports, maybe some partying. He was not an alcoholic, but the lure of fun was too strong.

“I really never had a problem (with alcohol),” he said. “It was not focusing on the things I needed to do. I didn’t want to go out and drink, but I didn’t want to study, either, so I did the more fun of the two things.”

His mom was an alcoholic when he was young so I guess choosing booze over study to the point of failing out caused concern.  Sounds like he's got it together now though.
  • Like 4

He's quickly becoming a favorite of mine as well. From what I've gathered, the Cal ordeal seems to have been a humbling experience. I hope this drives him to have an incredible work ethic a become a long-term option at the hot corner given the current 3B landscape. I'm not expecting a stud but something in the mold of Matt Carpenter sure would be nice.

Also, the slick transfer at 00:25 of this Prospect Pipeline video is pretty cool if you ask me.

8 hours ago, kpmorgan said:

Would you guys put him in your top 100 now? And if so, where would you rank him? 

Yes, I would. 

The bat has a chance to be special. Potential plus hit/power tools alone puts him in my top 100.. Small sample size to gauge his value, but the potential is certainly there to be really good. 

I love a 3B that can hit for average and power.. I'd probably stick him somewhere in the 70-80s right now. For comparison purposes that puts him with guys like (Derek Fisher, Richard Urena, Dylan Cozens, Bobby Bradley).. The MiLB is weak on 3B right now.. with Senzel and Devers really being the only top notch guys (I don't think Vlad sticks at 3B long-term). That makes him more valuable in my eyes. 

16 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Yes, I would. 

The bat has a chance to be special. Potential plus hit/power tools alone puts him in my top 100.. Small sample size to gauge his value, but the potential is certainly there to be really good. 

I love a 3B that can hit for average and power.. I'd probably stick him somewhere in the 70-80s right now. For comparison purposes that puts him with guys like (Derek Fisher, Richard Urena, Dylan Cozens, Bobby Bradley).. The MiLB is weak on 3B right now.. with Senzel and Devers really being the only top notch guys (I don't think Vlad sticks at 3B long-term). That makes him more valuable in my eyes. 

Thanks, Jenks. I'm definitely buying into the hype but was struggling with where to rank him as compared to the other top prospects. 

He's top 40 on my personal list, but as I stated I am incredibly aggressive with that placement. He's #70 on Klaw's list. In our deep dynasty auction the only players that went higher than him were Senzel, Maitan and Yuli.

He's just a nice, nice dynasty/keeper league target as his price tag is still fairly manageable, he has a chance to be a very fast mover (to the bigs but also up the big lists), there is nothing standing in his way in the bigs, Miller Park is a great park to hit in and 3B is not as deep as it once was. His is also a 5 cat type of profile, rare at the position.

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's top 40 on my personal list, but as I stated I am incredibly aggressive with that placement. He's #70 on Klaw's list. In our deep dynasty auction the only players that went higher than him were Senzel, Maitan and Yuli.

He's just a nice, nice dynasty/keeper league target as his price tag is still fairly manageable, he has a chance to be a very fast mover (to the bigs but also up the big lists), there is nothing standing in his way in the bigs, Miller Park is a great park to hit in and 3B is not as deep as it once was. His is also a 5 cat type of profile, rare at the position.

IMO, I don't really see him as a SB threat.. ROK level is pretty easy to steal bases and I don't think he has that kind of speed to really ever contribute in SB's at the big league level.. I could definitely see him being a plus contributor at 4 out of 5 cats though.. 

Warned heavily of Lucas Erceg's makeup prior to draft, not showing on field. Leader, greater energy, good teammate, gives a s--- in workouts

Max Kraust Retweeted 2080 Baseball

Asked a Brewers scout during instructs about Corey Ray. His response was, "... but have you seen Erceg?"

Edited by wily mo
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, accudart said:

I always like a player that they said would have gone in the 1st round but off field issues. Ended up drafting him early morning today in Scoresheet.

I also love TJ Friedl but he went undrafted and I wonder if it's for the same reasons. Because friedl was easily first round material last year. I would take Erceg over him in a heartbeat but friedl is a special kind of hitter...

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/brewers/pleskoff-scouting-report-brewers-lucas-erceg/

My early followers may remember how much I liked Arenado, Didi, Alcedes Escobar etc. when I saw them. My next "guy" may well be Lucas Erceg

Hoping #Brewers Erceg will be in Arizona Fall League so I can see more. From what I see he has the tools to be a very special MLB player.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, bigbossman said:

deflate the balloon...after 20 games in High A he is sporting an abysmal .561 OPS

I have faith in him, 20 games won't change how I feel about him.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

deflate the balloon...after 20 games in High A he is sporting an abysmal .561 OPS

Give him time. I agree it's very discouraging but Erceg is the real deal. He'll come around. If he hits this way for the rest of the season in only high-A then I'd start getting worried. I watched this kid at Cal,, especially his sophomore year before he disappeared to I think a division 2 or 3 school. Everytime I see Lucas Erceg hit I think of him as another potential Nolan Arenado. I know that's a pretty lofty comp and probably unreasonable at the moment. But Erceg can really hit and can hit for power too and he still hasn't even tapped into his power yet. He'll come around. And when he starts hitting, he'll hit his way all the way to Milwaukee. 

Before this season started I thought he would hit instantly and move very very fast with a potential September Callup. But they started him.in high-a when I thought they should start him in dub-a. And then he's started the year not hitting in bunches like he known for. Even though ive admittedly been wrong up to now, I know he'll start hitting and it will comes it will come with fire...

• Like 1

Hope you are right Jake...I'll hold him in my dynasty for another month to see if he turns it around....if by end of May he is still struggling then I'll probably move on for now...

I know...cool story bro

• Like 1

this is disappointing, but a lot of guys have random slow aprils - prospects, big leaguers, everybody. some of the other big bats from last june like senzel and zack collins aren't really lighting it up in high-A yet either. they've been a little better than erceg, but not a lot better

i already gave up on my will craig flyer in my main league but i'm going to hold erceg for a long a** time. those reports from this spring were too good

• Like 2

I'm holding on Erceg.  

1. Because I made this mistake last year when I gave up on Calhoun this early and he was hitting worse than Erceg.  Same with Austin Riley but I don't think he's on the same level and it took him much longer to heat up.

2. The only prospect I've felt i had to make room for at this point in Tyler Mahle.  I want to cut Cozens so bad, I just don't know who to replace him with.  I waited to late on Jackson, but that's really it.