NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Odell Beckham Jr 2017 Season Outlook

BlakeP42

30 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Of course. Ankle injury to a WR? Bumps him down to late 2nd/early 3rd for me which means I won't own him. DND imo. 

late 2nd/early 3rd over a little ankle injury?! i would love to be in that draft

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, brosephd said:

makes decision easier for julio at 4

I've got to pick between OBJ and Julio in a keeper league, but I still don't think this makes the decision easier to go with Julio.  Julio is questionable most weeks with recurring foot issues.  Even if OBJ misses 2 games, I still feel a little better about keeping him and long as it's not a high ankle sprain.  Just makes me value Marshall a bit more as an insurance policy of sorts.

2 hours ago, nk3323 said:

Those of you that are picking #4 or 5, are you shying away now since he has this injury?

Is anyone worried that this can bother him all year?

If anything, this might be a tiebreaker if you're tossing between Julio or another receiver in the top 3 or 4 (yes I'm a huge believer in Evans this year)

However, this doesn't warrant taking like Michael Thomas or Dez over him. 

5 hours ago, nk3323 said:

Those of you that are picking #4 or 5, are you shying away now since he has this injury?

Is anyone worried that this can bother him all year?

Wondering on this too. In 2 of my leagues I have pick 4 and 5. I was targeting him in mocks but now I have to rethink this.

I'm hoping that this makes him drop to me at pick 6 on Sunday. He IS the offense. Anyone that has watched a Giants game can see that. Marshall, Engram, Vereen, whoever...I don't see anyone stopping Odell (outside of Eli himself) being a monster. I think if anything, having some extra threats helps a bit. The Giants had to target him on so many short routes last year, and he wasn't given as much of a chance to showcase his electricity. That may still be an issue due to the o-line, but Manning couldn't seem to ever find Odell on a deep ball last year. Have to think (gut reaction) that improves. I'm a Giants fan so I'm probably biased, but Odell is going to absolutely explode at some point and I'll take my chances on him. He tends to play (and play well) through injury too. You can take 80+ ypg and over 0.5 td's per game to the bank, with the upside for closer to 100 ypg and 0.8 td per game. 

4 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I'm hoping that this makes him drop to me at pick 6 on Sunday. He IS the offense. Anyone that has watched a Giants game can see that. Marshall, Engram, Vereen, whoever...I don't see anyone stopping Odell (outside of Eli himself) being a monster. I think if anything, having some extra threats helps a bit. The Giants had to target him on so many short routes last year, and he wasn't given as much of a chance to showcase his electricity. That may still be an issue due to the o-line, but Manning couldn't seem to ever find Odell on a deep ball last year. Have to think (gut reaction) that improves. I'm a Giants fan so I'm probably biased, but Odell is going to absolutely explode at some point and I'll take my chances on him. He tends to play (and play well) through injury too. You can take 80+ ypg and over 0.5 td's per game to the bank, with the upside for closer to 100 ypg and 0.8 td per game. 

i agree with you but foot injuries with a WR is never a good thing.

Edited by nk3323

33 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

I love how the net hits him back.

He did deserve it - and I think he demonstrated he knew that when he tried to make friends with the net later in the season.

It was one of the more heartfelt dramas in the league last year quite frankly - and that will be hard to top.

Saw something on Matthew Berry's twitter (I know, cardinal sin of FF) but found it interesting and decided to run more numbers.

In 2015, Odell Beckham had 24 catches, 307 yards, and 2 TD's through the first four games of the season. Extrapolated over 16 games, that's a 96/1228/8 pace.

In 2015, Odell Beckham had 72 catches, 1143 yards, and 11 TD's over the final 12 games of the season. Extrapolated over 16 games, that's a 96/1524/14.66 pace.

In 2016, Odell Beckham had 22 catches, 303 yards, and 0 TD's through the first four games of the season. 88 catch and 1212 yards pace.

In 2016, Odell Beckham had 79 catches, 1064 yards, and 10 TD's through the final 12 games of the season. 105.33 catch, 1418.66 yards, and 13.33 TD pace.

Obviously the ankle sprain changes things (and we still need more info on that injury) and the Giants bye week isn't until Week 8. 

He will be fine… It's a Valgus force to the ankle, and the deltoid ligament is superstrong… now if it was an inversion sprain, or even worse, a high ankle sprain, it'd be worrisome.  Not to say that he won't miss any games, but he should come back 100%.  And I don't think he will miss any games, this is just an act

I have to be honest, leading up to my draft this coming weekend, I was so sure that I was going to go for Beckham for my first pick. After seeing this ankle injury I have some serious doubts now. Is it worth the uncertainty that he may miss a game or two, to take him over someone you value similarly? I am not so sure, as ankle injuries can linger into the season. How are the rest of you feeling?

1 hour ago, Unbreakable said:

I have to be honest, leading up to my draft this coming weekend, I was so sure that I was going to go for Beckham for my first pick. After seeing this ankle injury I have some serious doubts now. Is it worth the uncertainty that he may miss a game or two, to take him over someone you value similarly? I am not so sure, as ankle injuries can linger into the season. How are the rest of you feeling?

2014 stats after missing the first four games...........

2014 New York Giants 12 91 1,305 14.3 108.8 80T 12

I think you take him.

10 hours ago, sess said:

He will be fine… It's a Valgus force to the ankle, and the deltoid ligament is superstrong… now if it was an inversion sprain, or even worse, a high ankle sprain, it'd be worrisome.  Not to say that he won't miss any games, but he should come back 100%.  And I don't think he will miss any games, this is just an act

giphy.gifThanks for killing all OBJ worry