NBC Sports Edge Forums

Odell Beckham Jr 2017 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

over 30 for NFL skill players is practically senior citizen status

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

over 30 for NFL skill players is practically senior citizen status

Maybe. We are talking healing from injury. 30 isn't old. 

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

I really don't think the Giants will trot him out there if he is gimpy and not able to make an impact. He is way too important to our future and the Giants aren't the type of organization to put an injured superstar out on the field just to be a decoy and risk further injury. These are just my personal thoughts as a Giants fan, not based on any report. 

If he's playing, I'm playing him. If not, I'll slot in Shepard. This drama filled build up is ripe for an Odell explosion tonight. 

Wishful thinking. 

He could have a huge game tonight, but at best, that's one of many possible outcomes, and certainly isn't the most likely. 

Potential outcomes tonight (no listed in any particular order):

Option 1, he's inactive. 

Option 2, he's active, but is used only in certain situations. 

Option 3, he's active, but re-aggravates the injury.  

Option 4, he's active, but suffers a new injury. 

Option 5, he's active, on a strict snap count. 

Option 6, he's active, plays the whole game, but clearly isn't 100% and has a below average stat line.

Option 7, he's active as a ruse, and is used strictly as a decoy.  

Option 8, he's active, doesn't seem hurt, but just doesn't have a good game. 

Option 9, he's healthy, and has a typical OBJ game. 

Typically, you have 3 options, has a good game, doesn't have a good game, or gets hurt. All those bold possibilities are potential outcomes that aren't normally in play. 

To say he's ripe for an explosion tonight is ignoring probability and straight up lying to yourself. 

5 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

over 30 for NFL RBs is often senior citizen status

FTFY

WR can usually play into their early 30s without it being an issue. RBs usually fall off around 30. Having said that, Roddy didn't age well. 

Just now, ajs723 said:

Wishful thinking. 

He could have a huge game tonight, but at best, that's one of many possible outcomes, and certainly isn't the most likely. 

Potential outcomes tonight (no listed in any particular order):

Option 1, he's inactive. 

Option 2, he's active, but is used only in certain situations. 

Option 3, he's active, but re-aggravates the injury.  

Option 4, he's active, but suffers a new injury. 

Option 5, he's active, on a strict snap count. 

Option 6, he's active, plays the whole game, but clearly isn't 100% and has a below average stat line.

Option 7, he's active as a ruse, and is used strictly as a decoy.  

Option 8, he's active, doesn't seem hurt, but just doesn't have a good game. 

Option 9, he's healthy, and has a typical OBJ game. 

Typically, you have 3 options, has a good game, doesn't have a good game, or gets hurt. All those bold possibilities are potential outcomes that aren't normally in play. 

To say he's ripe for an explosion tonight is ignoring probability and straight up lying to yourself. 

You conveniently didn't bold that I said  This drama filled build up is ripe for an explosion. Obviously the ankle injury itself doesn't make him ripe for a good game, and like I said, if he is not healthy enough to make an impact I don't think he will play at all. I am saying the drama surrounding this game, whether he will play, whether Zeke will play, is a great narrative for Odell to come out swinging. Dude loves the spotlight and the attention. It's sunday night vs his biggest division rivals, the man is a competitor. 

3 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

You conveniently didn't bold that I said  This drama filled build up is ripe for an explosion. Obviously the ankle injury itself doesn't make him ripe for a good game, and like I said, if he is not healthy enough to make an impact I don't think he will play at all. I am saying the drama surrounding this game, whether he will play, whether Zeke will play, is a great narrative for Odell to come out swinging. Dude loves the spotlight and the attention. It's sunday night vs his biggest division rivals, the man is a competitor. 

That's fair. If he weren't injured, this would be a good spot for him. Opening week. In Dallas. Nationally televised game. I get all that. But, he's hurt. That overrides everything else. In fact, it works against him that he's probably so desperate to be out there. It's more likely that he'll force his way onto the field, and one of those negative scenarios plays out. 

If you own him and he's active, you probably have to play him. But there's a good chance he makes a lot of people angry tonight. 

(RotoWire) While teasing a fuller update later on the Fox pregame show, Jay Glazer reported that Beckham (ankle) is closer to doubtful than questionable. Analysis: This is consistent with all of the other reporting on Beckham's status over the weekend. At the very worst, you'd better have a late swap option available to you if you are planning to use him this week.

My late game options are pretty poor , Dam !

Glazer also said on fox pregame that Odell is more doubtful than questionable. If you have other option, I think you have to sit him. I'm flexing fat rob. Ideally you have someone you can use from an afternoon or Monday night game once we get more clarity. At this point, seems like it would be more surprising for him to suit up than sit 

edit: yeah, what the guy above me said ^^

Edited by wtb88
30 minutes ago, raltherr said:

I hate that he plays Monday night next week.  Gonna have to get creative with the flex spot and find someone in the free agent pool to play just in case.

I would think there's a 98% chance he plays in this one. 

I'm new to the OBJ thread and don't feel like scrolling through 22 pages of stuff. Now, I know about the injury and whatnot, and I did read the last page or two. What's the general tone with this guy? I'm contemplating a trade for him because I (CSB I know) may have enticed a guy weak at RB with Kareem Hunt. The only WR I want from his team is OBJ, so I figured I'd check out the thread.

What's the general atmosphere surrounding this guy's outlook for next week and RoS?

17 minutes ago, omnom1337 said:

What's the general atmosphere surrounding this guy's outlook for next week and RoS?

He will play... game time decision sunday night so a long week off says to me, the Giants star will play.

17 minutes ago, omnom1337 said:

RoS?

He will produce solid lines almost every week with a few week winning games sprinkled in.  If you make the playoffs, Odell gives you as good a chance as any other player in the league to win you the championship. He simply balls out during fantasy playoffs. 

Edited by Trifecta

I'm not so confident he's ready to go and think the Giants announced his availability at game time so the Dallas DC would have to scheme for both options with and without OBJ.  Same thing could happen this week too.  Even mild high-ankle sprains can take up to 6 weeks to get right and we're just a little over 3 weeks removed from injury.  

For me, unless he participates fully in at least 1 media-facing practice this week, I'm going to plan that he's a scratch (or will be decoy/ineffective) for MNF.  Just park OBJ in the flex and be sure to have another NYG/DET player to sub in.

Fingers crossed he gets a few full practices in and we're off to the races.  

Edited by ragrag