NBC Sports Edge Forums

Odell Beckham Jr 2017 Season Outlook

22 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Let's not forget about Sterling Shepard.  He'll be manning the slot and has a 41" vertical.

All three receivers can be 1000+ yards and 8TDs.

Then you should be drafting Eli as a top-8 QB

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

After the first 12 QBs are gone, I'll take Eli.  Worked with Stafford last year.  He was top 5 until he hurt his finger.

I like Wentz at QB19 with his new targets.

Rivers is QB16? Okay? 

QBs 5-19 are all "throw into a bag, shake, and pick two".

It's a lot easier when there are only a few left.

8 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Eli was QB10 in standard in 2014 and 2015.  He was still unusable in fantasy most weeks because he's so inconsistent.  In 2015, I had Eli stacked with OBJ and it was a rollercoaster ride.

He showed serious signs of decline last year (and finished as QB21), but I don't think a return to the top-10 is out of the question if OBJ keeps his head on straight and B-Marsh still has something left in the tank.  But that doesn't mean we should be drafting Eli that way.  At his best he's a QB2 with upside and can't be trusted week to week even when he puts up solid season-long numbers.  I trust Eli's weapons, but that doesn't mean I have to trust Eli.

18 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Eli was QB10 in standard in 2014 and 2015.  He was still unusable in fantasy most weeks because he's so inconsistent.  In 2015, I had Eli stacked with OBJ and it was a rollercoaster ride.

He showed serious signs of decline last year (and finished as QB21), but I don't think a return to the top-10 is out of the question if OBJ keeps his head on straight and B-Marsh still has something left in the tank.  But that doesn't mean we should be drafting Eli that way.  At his best he's a QB2 with upside and can't be trusted week to week even when he puts up solid season-long numbers.  I trust Eli's weapons, but that doesn't mean I have to trust Eli.

If you're projecting 3 1000 yard 8 TD wide receivers on the same team, only a top-8 FFL QB can achieve that. 

2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

If you're projecting 3 1000 yard 8 TD wide receivers on the same team, only a top-8 FFL QB can achieve that. 

Well, these are the three best receivers he's ever had on one team.

Coach's system doesn't like running the ball from the shotgun a whole lot.

He also does not have a TE.  TE will be needed for pass protection due to poor O-Line.  I hope they draft Forrest Lamp.  He can play every position on the line and should be this years Zack Martin/Cody Whitehair.  

Not much upside other than these 3 WRs and the 3rd down back.

Eli was solid 2 seasons ago with his first full year comfortable with McAdoo's offense.  Didn't have any receivers last year and the o-line was bad.

He does have a tough division.  I'll have to see who they draft and take a closer look at schedules before the end of August.

• 1 month later...

It's not an official holdout until it's mandatory but odell wants a new contract. He's set to make 3.3 million in 2017 and that's good until 2018.

Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter

New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.'s absence at organized activities, though no one in his camp has admitted it, is directly related to his desire for a new contract, according to sources.

This year, OBJ will make $1.8 mill from the Giants -- almost 2/3 less than Nike will pay him.

https://www.google.com/amp/elitesportsny.com/2017/06/07/new-york-giants-odell-beckham-jr-has-1-8-million-reasons-to-skip-practice/amp/

The Giants brass has to put their $ where their mouth is and focus on appropriately paying their best player instead of smearing FAs like Kaepernick in the media. 

44 WRs will make more that OBJ this year. No way should he report until that is rectified, since everyone knows he's a top-5 WR. 

Hakeem Nicks was in a similar situation after leading the Giants to the SB in 2011, and showed up the next year to "voluntary" OTAs only to break his foot and was never the same again (was rushed back too soon to play in order to help the team) -- he never got his big contract and is now out of the league.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82951f02/article/hakeem-nicks-breaks-right-foot-at-giants-ota

The longer this drags out, the worse it will be for both sides.

2 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

It's not an official holdout until it's mandatory but odell wants a new contract. He's set to make 3.3 million in 2017 and that's good until 2018.

Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter

New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.'s absence at organized activities, though no one in his camp has admitted it, is directly related to his desire for a new contract, according to sources.

Right which is part of signing his rookie contract, which guaranteed him 10.4 million before he even got on the field.  The Giants have him under contract for this year and next, next year is his 5th year option where he'd make significantly more than he does now.  The other Big WRs (Julio, AJ Green) got new contracts when their 5th year came along.  Apparently Odell wants his a year early, and given his emotional instability the Giants have to play this situation carefully.

6 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Right which is part of signing his rookie contract, which guaranteed him 10.4 million before he even got on the field.  The Giants have him under contract for this year and next, next year is his 5th year option where he'd make significantly more than he does now.  The other Big WRs (Julio, AJ Green) got new contracts when their 5th year came along.  Apparently Odell wants his a year early, and given his emotional instability the Giants have to play this situation carefully.

No team relies on a WR more than the Giants do on OBJ. We'll see if Reese/Mara cave. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

No team relies on a WR more than the Giants do on OBJ. We'll see if Reese/Mara cave. 

Historically the Maras don't cave and they don't overpay a couple of reasons why the Giants have  done well over the decades

Edited by dashoe
18 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Historically the Maras don't cave and they don't overpay a couple of reasons why the Giants have  done well over the decades

Don't forget the Giants  had Dave Gettleman during those SBs and he is cheaper than broke. 

9 hours ago, dashoe said:

Historically they have bent over backwards to accomodate generational talents -- like LT, who Mara has said is the only other comparable first rd pick the Giants have made in the past 40 years. 

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Historically they have bent over backwards to accomodate generational talents -- like LT, who Mara has said is the only other comparable first rd pick the Giants have made in the past 40 years. 

I dont remeber all of the details but I do remeber that tiki barber was the face of the franchise and had the production to prove it yet somehow he worked his way out of favor with the Maras with his behavior

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Ignorant Giant fan here:

Other than LT, what "generational" talents have the Giants bent over backwards for?

Edited by Winky
38 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I dont remeber all of the details but I do remeber that tiki barber was the face of the franchise and had the production to prove it yet somehow he worked his way out of favor with the Maras with his behavior

Tiki wasn't a 1st round pick and wasn't a star until Coughlin taught him not to fumble in his 8th season. Not even close to the impact OBJ has had in their first 3 seasons.

I hope they give OBJ what he wants, if not, please hide the kicking net. The net has gone through enough last season.

First fight 

Image result for odell and kicking net animated gif

Proposing

Related image

She said, "YASSSSSSSS"

Related image

6 minutes ago, Winky said:

Ignorant Giant fan here:

Other than LT, what "generational" talents have the Giants bent over backwards for?

That's my point. Those 2 are the only generational talents the Giants drafted who were studs right away -- Simms, Banks, Strahan, Barber, Tuck were all late bloomers, and the Giants didn't draft Eli. The only other comparable high-profile player who was a stud immediately was Bavaro, who was anything but a diva.

OBJ (like LT) is the exception the Maras will have to placate. Makes me nervous about him finishing as a top-2 WR if he indeed does hold out, but he may still report to minicamp. 

7 minutes ago, Winky said:

I like Eli as much as anybody, but he's no Peyton, Tom, or Drew...

He's the ONLY QB to beat the GOAT(Tom Brady) not once but twice in the SB. 

17 hours ago, dashoe said:

he only hurts himself by signaling potential hold -out. Play your game have a great season and force teams to pay u as a free agent.

Most WRs since the new rookie contract scale haven't gotten their second contract until after their fourth year. 

Beckham wouldn't be a free agent after this year since the Giants took his fifth year option already. 

If Beckham does get a new contract this year, he'll likely make a bit less money longterm than he would playing out this contract and signing a bigger deal next year.