NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pierre Garcon 2017 Outlook

Just now, vikingapocalypse said:

Lol come on now, you edited it. You clearly said YOUR, as you can see from my post quoting it.

I made a simple comment and you jumped all over it, maybe i assumed wrong, but nobody jumped to insults faster then you. We were just having a debate and when your calling me out im going to defend myself. Were all off topic, including yourself. 

Whatever you want to tell yourself Viking.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Because these stats are everything in the world. They tell you everything and mean everything. The end all be all... *slaps forehead* 

They actually say a lot. Britt did that on a trash team with a rookie QB while Garcon put those numbers up with a top QB.

Slap yourself a little harder. Maybe you'll come to your senses.

Still trying to figure out why you want Garcon so bad. You've yet to offer anything of substance to your reasoning other than locker room stuff.

12 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

They actually say a lot. Britt did that on a trash team with a rookie QB while Garcon put those numbers up with a top QB.

Slap yourself a little harder. Maybe you'll come to your senses.

Still trying to figure out why you want Garcon so bad. You've yet to offer anything of substance to your reasoning other than locker room stuff.

They're a strawman statistic Blondie. How bad was his drop rate last year? What about his contested catch rate? Locker Room presence? Veteran Leadership? ... ALL IMPORTANT FACTORS for this rams team. Just because  you don't deem them important factors when looking at a player, doesn't mean they aren't important. We'd rather have a guy that's way more efficient with his targets, better down the middle, and a good character to learn and get inspired from... rather then a knucklehead that never takes his game seriously nor his coaches.

Garcon was graded much higher in receiving efficiency last year (through week 12 via PFF), ahead of Julio Jones and Antonio Brown. We need efficiency to create a rhythm for Goff while working on our younger receivers. 

Edited by ponza88
3 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

They're a strawman statistic Blondie. How bad was his drop rate last year? What about his contested catch rate? Locker Room presence? Veteran Leadership? ... ALL IMPORTANT FACTORS for this rams team. Just because  you don't deem them important factors when looking at a player, doesn't mean they aren't important. We'd rather have a guy that's way more efficient with his targets and a good character to learn and get inspired from... then a knucklehead that never takes his game seriously nor his coaches.

Garcon was graded much higher in receiving efficiency last year (through week 12 via PFF), ahead of Julio Jones and Antonio Brown. We need efficiency to create a rhythm for Goff while working on our younger receivers. 

Fair enough. Will be interesting to see if he can keep that efficiency up in SF if Cousins doesn't land there. Not sure Hoyer is the answer.

1 minute ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Fair enough. Will be interesting to see if he can keep that efficiency up in SF if Cousins doesn't land there. Not sure Hoyer is the answer.

That will be interesting.

But he will see an increased volume in targets. The Niners defense is still attricious so they will probably need to come from behind most games with a QB who doesn't run 7-10 times a game. It looks like the starting 3 WR's are Garçon, Kerley and Goodwin. 

Im not sure how Bruce Ellington, Eric Rogers play into this situation but if the 3 WR's are Kerley, Garçon and Goodwin, Garçon could be a solid WR2 and drafted at a WR3/4 price. Still to be determined who the Niners draft, but I like the Hoyer move. Maybe Vance McDonald sees an uptick in targets as well. 

41 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Read the Hoyer thread I just started.

4 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Garcon sucks, Britt sucks, and Tavon needs to stand on a stool to reach the top shelf in his locker. 

3 hours ago, malta69 said:

Niners are that guy in the auction draft with 90 bucks to spend on three bench players

LOL

In no world is 16 million for Garcon a good move. If you have that much money to spend, why not pursue a Pryor or an Alshon instead of a never was like Garcon. There's a reason some teams stay bad.

54 minutes ago, petekrum said:

In no world is 16 million for Garcon a good move. If you have that much money to spend, why not pursue a Pryor or an Alshon instead of a never was like Garcon. There's a reason some teams stay bad.

I think the most is to give an old vet a short term deal while they rebuild. Big signings for the Niners should be short term and not 4 years if they want to be better off in the future rather than now. Tank one to two more seasons and then make a run at your division after the Seahawks have to resign their entire defense. 

1 hour ago, boltup15 said:

I think the most is to give an old vet a short term deal while they rebuild. Big signings for the Niners should be short term and not 4 years if they want to be better off in the future rather than now. Tank one to two more seasons and then make a run at your division after the Seahawks have to resign their entire defense. 

Although the money is high, I do like the 49ers picking up Garcon...

It appears to serve multiple purposes:

Garcon steps in to a WR1 role (for now)... not a role he is suited for, but has established that he can produce when called upon.

Garcon will be comfortable being pushed to WR2 when they sign someone better at some point.

Garcon knows the offense and will help to install it quickly.  Shanahan can leverage him to coach whoever else they sign (FA & draft picks).

Garcon is a capable, but complimentary player.

His place on the roster does make the team a little more attractive to other players considering the 49ers. 

I do not think Garcon is a WR1 and, as a player, and not necessarily worth all that money, but as @boltup15 said they are building for their future and the quicker they can install the offense, the better off they will be... They got to spend the cap space somewhere and this guy already has a relationship with the coach... might even go so far as to say Garcon helped Shanny land a HC gig with his play.

Let's see what the next move or two looks like before we judge this second move... the Kyle Jurzczyk was also an overpay, but he is another plug & play guy.

The 49ers are not completing a masterpiece, they are just starting to lay the foundation on offense.

Garcon is a better signing for the 49ers than DJax and Shanahan knows both players.

What if their next two moves landed them Cousins and Jeffrey?

Then it starts to get interesting...

The 49ers have a lot of work to do and I think they have already done some good things.

1 hour ago, boltup15 said:

Arizona's defense is departing via free agency cap casualties today.

Seattle's defense has been greatly overrated since Dan Quinn took the head coaching job in Atlanta.

The Rams have Wade Phillips and a ton of talent on defense.  That's the team to beat.

I expect Shanahan to offer Jeffery a 5 year $100 million contract to be the centerpiece of his offense.  He'll use 1/3rd of his $96 million cap for his "X".  His GM is just signing the checks.

The Garcon offer is plan B.

1 hour ago, jmausen said:

Arizona's defense is departing via free agency cap casualties today.

Seattle's defense has been greatly overrated since Dan Quinn took the head coaching job in Atlanta.

The Rams have Wade Phillips and a ton of talent on defense.  That's the team to beat.

I expect Shanahan to offer Jeffery a 5 year $100 million contract to be the centerpiece of his offense.  He'll use 1/3rd of his $96 million cap for his "X".  His GM is just signing the checks.

The Garcon offer is plan B.

The Rams are the team to beat..... I promise you they are not the team to beat. 

27 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

The Rams are the team to beat..... I promise you they are not the team to beat. 

9th ranked defense just added Wade Phillips.

The new head coach made Cousins a franchise QB.  He can make someone work.

Their big "?" is Gurley.  If he can stop sucking, this team could be dangerous. 

ARI doesn't have the receiver depth any more and lost key defenders to free agency.

They beat SEA at home and ARI on the road last year.

The Rams might be a big surprise team this year.

8 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Torrey smith 3 years 15M

Garcon 16m in his first year

smhn.gif

Don't believe everything you read before the contract is signed...remember Stills was supposedly getting $12 mil/yr. 

Edited by joshua18
3 hours ago, jmausen said:

9th ranked defense just added Wade Phillips.

The new head coach made Cousins a franchise QB.  He can make someone work.

Their big "?" is Gurley.  If he can stop sucking, this team could be dangerous. 

ARI doesn't have the receiver depth any more and lost key defenders to free agency.

They beat SEA at home and ARI on the road last year.

The Rams might be a big surprise team this year.

The big ? Is Goff. 

On 3/9/2017 at 10:16 AM, vikingapocalypse said:

Torrey smith 3 years 15M

Garcon 16m in his first year

smhn.gif

To be fair Garcon's stats were 3x as good as Torrey's last season.  Minus the TD's.

Edited by RMJ_12