NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pierre Garcon 2017 Outlook

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I know it's been only 2 games however i am certainly losing confidence in starting Garcon. I drafted him to be my sneaky WR3 who would outperform and get me Landry type production on a mediocre to bad offense always playing from behind. When Jermaine Kearse on the waiver looks like a better own, that's not  saying much about garcon.

Come on bro 

Seriously though, you drafted Garcon as a WR3 which is what he's going to give you if not more.  Keep rolling with him.

13 minutes ago, jpmvg3 said:

He did exactly what you expected in week 1 and got shut down by one of the best defenses in the league. I don't know what you expected 

Thats the problem he did as is expected for a wr3 but he didnt outperform based on my expectations. 

22 minutes ago, jpmvg3 said:

He did exactly what you expected in week 1 and got shut down by one of the best defenses in the league. I don't know what you expected 

This ^^^.  Almost no one on this offense ever played together before, AND they are tasked with executing an entirely new offense.  

Even with that reality, close evaluation of the first two games (no, not the box score) demonstrates (to my eye, at least) that this offense will be far better soon enough.  Lots of plays are being left on the field because this squad is still in "learning" mode.  The run game success on Sunday versus an elite Seahawks run D was an obvious sign that the tipping point from struggling to flourishing is fast approaching. 

No one should be blamed for jumping ship if they aren't comfortable seeing this "work-in-progress" through.  Do what will ease your mind.  The risk that the early positive signs (if any) are a mirage, and that Shanahan is not capable of turning the offense around in a single off-season, are real.  The two games I have seen already, however, convince me to hold course.  Maybe I will be proven wrong.  We'll see soon enough.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
9 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

This ^^^.  Almost no one on this offense ever played together before, AND they are tasked with executing an entirely new offense.  

Even with that reality, close evaluation of the first two games (no, not the box score) demonstrates (to my eye, at least) that this offense will be far better soon enough.  Lots of plays are being left on the field because this squad is still in "learning" mode.  The run game success on Sunday versus an elite Seahawks run D was an obvious sign that the tipping point from struggling to flourishing is fast approaching. 

No one should be blamed for jumping ship if they aren't comfortable seeing this "work-in-progress" through.  Do what will ease your mind.  The risk that the early positive signs (if any) are a mirage, and that Shanahan is not capable of turning the offense around in a single off-season, are real.  The two games I have seen already, however, convince me to hold course.  Maybe I will be proven wrong.  We'll see soon enough.

Preseason I didnt see much that revealed the offense aside from  maybe 4 plays in 3rd game. First 2 games was validation that drafting Hyde  to exceed his  preseason price was the right call, so far Garcon is only meeting his price but not exceeding it. What i'm seeing is Hoyer is actually depressing Garcons play because he can't move the ball.

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Preseason I didnt see much that revealed the offense aside from  maybe 4 plays in 3rd game. First 2 games was validation that drafting Hyde  to exceed his  preseason price was the right call, so far Garcon is only meeting his price but not exceeding it. What i'm seeing is Hoyer is actually depressing Garcons play because he can't move the ball.

You're correct about Hoyer.  In his and Shanahan's own words, he's under-performed.  However, Shanahan has been the first to say that Hoyer needs better execution from his supporting cast before he (Hoyer) can be evaluated properly.  Goodwin alone has had a few bad drops that would have made the Carolina game a 17-10 final, and would have meant a win this past Sunday.

I make most calls with my eyes (see the early pages of the Cohen thread), and what I've seen in the first two games cements my PS beliefs -- Shanahan will give us a serviceable offense this season.  Elite performance will require a few off-seasons of roster upgrades on the offensive side of the ball, but Shanahan went out and got what he needed to make this thing work reasonably well.  And "reasonably well" will be more than enough to enable Hyde and Garcon (and possibly Breida and Kittle) to have good years fantasy-wise.

Good news is I don't think the offense can get any worse. The third preseason game probably bumped Garcon up a little too high in the predraft rankings, just enough for owners to be displeased with his two-week performance to open the season. He was probably more of a 8-10 round pick. He started creeping up into the 6-7 range by late August. 

40 minutes ago, jimithing11 said:

Good news is I don't think the offense can get any worse. The third preseason game probably bumped Garcon up a little too high in the predraft rankings, just enough for owners to be displeased with his two-week performance to open the season. He was probably more of a 8-10 round pick. He started creeping up into the 6-7 range by late August. 

Yeah I drafted him the 8th round end of August.  I haven't watched the games, just looking at the numbers which is why he's still on my bench.  

22 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Seriously though, you drafted Garcon as a WR3 which is what he's going to give you if not more.  Keep rolling with him.

Agreed,the biggest mistakes I've made in FF have been due to having too little patience,this is one player I'm rolling with in hopes of backing up my draft night comment to the other owners that he'll be fine once the team gets a grasp on Shanny's offense.

26 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Don't think you can bench Fitz for him just yet.  I'm giving Fitz one more shot against the Dallas secondary to prove he's startable.

Plus, Thursday night game.

It's coming down to whether or not the Rams starting secondary plays or not, cause I heard of possible back ups.

I gotta roll with him tonight with Cobb looking iffy. It's either PG or Kupp for me but sticking to Garcon as SF's go to WR. He should be good for 6-7 receptions or so. Anything over 80 yards is a plus. TD hopefully.

Thursday night game.  Hoyer showing he can't command this offense.  I'm expecting a lot of Carlos Hyde tonight.

While week 1 looked promising, I am afraid that week 2 is probably more the norm for Garcon.

Rumors that this Niners offense was going to be reinvigorated with Kyle Shanahan's arrival seem to have been unfounded.

He's sitting for me until he proves it at least once.

Just now, CooL said:

Thursday night game.  Hoyer showing he can't command this offense.  I'm expecting a lot of Carlos Hyde tonight.

While week 1 looked promising, I am afraid that week 2 is probably more the norm for Garcon.

Rumors that this Niners offense was going to be reinvigorated with Kyle Shanahan's arrival seem to have been unfounded.

He's sitting for me until he proves it at least once.

Don't they have to throw the ball some though? Who else is gonna targets? I see what you're saying though with TNF, Run/D, low scoring game.

44 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Don't they have to throw the ball some though? Who else is gonna targets? I see what you're saying though with TNF, Run/D, low scoring game.

Hoyer just had a 99 yard passing game. The local high school QB could have gotten that.

people are way overreacting to a game on the road at Seattle that was close where Hoyer only had 27 attempts. that's kind of game that gets brushed off week 11 but now people are freaking out. it's basically worst case scenario for 49ers, Garcon still seems a safe buy-low guy who will finish between WR25 and WR35

If you were expecting a big game from Garcon @ Seattle then you haven't been paying attention over the years. With an O-Line up there with both New Yorks as far as ineptitude, you were always gonna have to pick your spots with 49ers pass catchers this season.

He's going to be fine moving forward. Proceed as usual with him as your WR3/4. 

6 minutes ago, Jason497 said:

If you were expecting a big game from Garcon @ Seattle then you haven't been paying attention over the years. With an O-Line up there with both New Yorks as far as ineptitude, you were always gonna have to pick your spots with 49ers pass catchers this season.

He's going to be fine moving forward. Proceed as usual with him as your WR3/4. 

San Fran has a terrible O-line? Then how is Hyde getting such good yardage against ostensibly good run defenses?

8 minutes ago, gimme the ball said:

San Fran has a terrible O-line? Then how is Hyde getting such good yardage against ostensibly good run defenses?

Because he's really good at Football. Also I should have clarified, they are hopeless passblockers, they actually graded ok running the ball last year. Losing Garnett, Beadles and Zuttah being massive disappointments and going back to Kilgore at C who was brutal last year, doesn't bode well. Joe Staley is awesome, and Trent Brown at RT is still a project. Kaep ran for his life all season last year, Hoyer was completely under siege against Carolina, it's still a problem.

It's sorta like how it's universally recognized that Minnesota's O-Line is hot garbage but Dalvin Cook is still productive, same thing kind of goes for Hyde. Shanahan is also good at scheming a running game.

Edited by Jason497

Unstartable. Can't start him @ Hawks and definitely can't start him vs Rams on the short week. This game will be low scoring with both offenses feeding their RB's the ball. Garcon definitely isn't droppable yet, because of his volume, but you need to pick your spots. This week isn't one of them.

I can see him getting 6-7 catches for close to 90 yards but a stat line more like last week is more realistic. And forget the touchdown. No TD's in the first two weeks, if they're able to get one tonight it will be from Hyde or someone random like Kittle. Avoid Garcon tonight unless you're completely out of options.

Edited by TheLegacy

I always think calling someone "not startable" is a little silly.  I mean...do you know what my other options are?  I know what you mean of course but every player is startable unless they are on IR or a guy who literally does not see the field unless an injury (i.e. backup quarterback).  Garcon is definitely startable.

I'd agree with others that expectations should be tempered but there is hope.  He is still going to be the target hog until further notice.  They will face much easier defenses than the legion of boom.  And he was pretty decent week 1.  Good yardage good targets.  Don't panic.  If a couple more games go and they haven't scored, then yes...time to evaluate options.

Edited by kp96
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 12:39 PM, Savatage79 said:

Glad I sent him packing, the hype was pretty funny imho. Not so much garcon in general but this team, I just find why reach for players there unless forced to 

i'm sure the guy who picked him up was glad you sent him packing! lol