NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Gillislee 2017 Outlook

I think it depends on Lewis going forward. I still cant see them using Lewis when they really need to grind out a game in bad weather. Gillislee had a few decent runs but the inconsistencies of Bellichick doesnt help a rhythm RB like Gillislee. Its the same situation AP was in with Sean Payton. 2 or 3 runs here and there and then not seeing any work for a few drives.

I cant for the life of understand why hes not being treated even half of what Blount was last year. This guy shouldnt be just a TD dependent back because he actually has decent break away speed for a power back. Obviously the passing and 3rd down work should be split between Lewis and White but no reason why Gilly does see most if not all of the designated running plays. Unfortunately for him, everyone and their grandmothers know when hes in that its a running play. If there was an creativity they would actually have him on passing downs so defenses dont realize that its a running play everytime Gilly is in the game.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gillislee and Burkhead played the same number of snaps against Atlanta: 13. It was a season-low for Gillislee, and those snaps were as a substitute ball carrier. Seems like there has been a change of guard at the position, and rightly so.

The patriots offense is all about tempo, and their RBs are primarily judged on their ability to convert short yardage. Gillislee has been stuffed on 3rd/4th and short far too many times.

At this point, it's hard to see him to regaining a starting role on his own merit - it won't happen without Dion Lewis or James White getting injured.

Pats would rather have Lewis instead of Gillislee for the playoffs, which means Gillislee will keep getting his touches during the season.

he's not going anywhere.

Edit:  unless he keeps fumbling.

Edited by Pooskay
3 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Pats would rather have Lewis instead of Gillislee for the playoffs, which means Gillislee will keep getting his touches during the season.

he's not going anywhere.

Edit:  unless he keeps fumbling.

But then there's T-Rex taking up carries that should go to Gillislee.  Rex is probably the most expendable, so if you go by your theory, Rex will see the most in season carry increase compared to the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Just proposed a trade in a standard scoring league to a team whose starting RBs are T Coleman and W Smallwood:

MG for K S Gostkowski.

What do you all think?

I think you should stop trying to take advantage of owners.

Gostkowski will likely have 2x as many points as Gilly by the end of the year.

1 hour ago, HarambeLives said:

Droppable?

I can't bring myself to drop him in standard... it's not like his stats have been that bad... there is still a lot of football left. A Dion Lewis injury... a shift in game script... there is still some upside, no?

In PPR though... yeah he's been a safe drop for a couple weeks now. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
4 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I can't bring myself to drop him in standard... it's not like his stats have been that bad... there is still a lot of football left. A Dion Lewis injury... a shift in game script... there is still some upside, no?

If you had the choice to take Dion instead, would you?

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I feel you, I just traded Coleman for him (we trade draft picks too and I got a way better pick) and I’m not sure if I want to drop him just yet. 

I had to drop for this week, needed someone with a higher floor and a defense, but i will be hoping to pick him up next week.. guy could have serious value second half, especially with the Pats defense turning the corner maybe.. he has big upside still, just going to take a few weeks to sort out. If i werent in must win situation i would have held and just rolled him out there this week

1 hour ago, Gryfter said:

If you deemed it important to inform us of that, you could've told us which kicker.

Just illustrating how low his value is RN, I dropped him for Tavech, have Greg the leg on a bye. I doubt I’ll be trying to pick him back up after this week, will target Corey Davis instead. 

7 hours ago, dakimbell said:

guy could have serious value second half, especially with the Pats defense turning the corner maybe.. he has big upside still, just going to take a few weeks to sort out.

7 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Jag

that about sums it up. 

he looked so damn good last year... nice speed here.. a game-clinching run here

has anyone consistently watched the Pats this year? What have you seen from him?

Just now, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

that about sums it up. 

he looked so damn good last year... nice speed here.. a game-clinching run here

has anyone consistently watched the Pats this year? What have you seen from him?

Just last game, and he looked like he was honestly pressing to score every play, until the end when it was ball control time, he started just hitting the holes and running people over. Thats what gave me a little confidence, they will need that style come December maybe to close out games

21 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

From the Pats games I've seen he does not look like anything special. D Lewis looked better to me last week. It also looks to me like the Oars O Line isn't particularly good at run blocking. 

This times 100. I am a Pats fan so watched all games and the run blocking is awful, hence Lewis shines more since he is more elusive. Gilly is actually running pretty well, but the poor run blocking along with a backfield full of depth he will struggle to give fantasy owners any consistency.