NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jameis Winston 2017 Outlook

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Elcapitan said:

Planning to pick him up to replace Tyrod this week. He's screwed me a couple of times this season already in other leagues so not really confident in playing him.

I was thinking the same thing about screwing me too.  Probably cost me about 2-3 wins just by himself.  Two or three games where his shoulder was bothering him and he barely played in the game, two or three points in the playoffs is death from your QB.

39 minutes ago, Elcapitan said:

Planning to pick him up to replace Tyrod this week. He's screwed me a couple of times this season already in other leagues so not really confident in playing him.

The only bad full game Jameis had was when TB hosted Carolina.  If he let you down, it must have been injury related.

3 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

This is just what I was saying.  Let's just hope all that is behind him.

His shoulder looks fine but he had an ankle issue that hampered him in the 2nd half and it was an issue behind a really shaky OL that just lost two starters. 

2 hours ago, tah10 said:

We trusting Jameis this week? Matchup is nice and the Bucs' defense and run game still stink.

Trust is a strong word. The matchup is nice but there are red flags.

The OL is in bad shape and, as noted, Winston hurt his ankle last game. The run game stunk with Doug Martin but Peyton Barber had a great game last week. Could be a one-time thing or legit. Either way if Martin is out, the Bucs would be smart to commit to the run game with Barber. I thought this would be a shoot-out but apparently Stafford's hand is in pretty rough shape so if he is out or justhobbled, that'll hurt the Detroit offense and limit their ability to rack up points, even against the crappy Bucs D. So this would limit the need for Winston to have to throw an excessive amount.

5 hours ago, ESquared said:

Trust is a strong word. The matchup is nice but there are red flags.

The OL is in bad shape and, as noted, Winston hurt his ankle last game. The run game stunk with Doug Martin but Peyton Barber had a great game last week. Could be a one-time thing or legit. Either way if Martin is out, the Bucs would be smart to commit to the run game with Barber. I thought this would be a shoot-out but apparently Stafford's hand is in pretty rough shape so if he is out or justhobbled, that'll hurt the Detroit offense and limit their ability to rack up points, even against the crappy Bucs D. So this would limit the need for Winston to have to throw an excessive amount.

Good points, thank you sir

Like some of you have mentioned, it's possible to have gotten this far to the playoffs with a guy like Cousins or Newton as your QB, both of who have really tough matchups this week. I'm in that boat and strongly considering streaming this guy and hoping for 20+

21 hours ago, ESquared said:

the Bucs would be smart to commit to the run game with Barber.

I'm trying harder to avoid "woulds" and "shoulds" in fantasy.  

Fact is that Detroit has been awful against QBs lately, and Winston has been strong all year when healthy.

Also, even if Stafford is limited, I don't expect TB's defense to put up much of a struggle.  And TB isn't good enough to be in a position to try and play keep away from the Lions, even if Stafford is hobbled a bit.

41 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I'm trying harder to avoid "woulds" and "shoulds" in fantasy.  

I do too but it still plays in my thought process. Go to the Barber thread and it's nothing but that lately with news Martin practiced in full yesterday. They "should" commit to Barber for reasons a, b, c etc.  While logical, good luck trying to figure out the thought process of Koetter. 

Anyhow, I was just trying to play devil's advocate regarding trusting Winston as I'm deciding between Winston and McCown and nitpicking to break the tie. 

So what are we thinking here for this weekend? He has the game at home, which is good. I do feel that if Stafford suits up, it makes the matchup better, due to the need to potentially match scores. He has performed fairly well for fantasy aside from the games he got hurt and the JAX game. The Lions are ripe for the picking and I am personally having a tough choice between him and Dalton this week, as Dalton is the "safer" option.

Are we going with the matchup and thinking that Winston will perform? He can certainly string some nice games to end the season, with the Lions, Falcons and Panthers to close out the fantasy playoffs.

1 hour ago, Unbreakable said:

So what are we thinking here for this weekend? He has the game at home, which is good. I do feel that if Stafford suits up, it makes the matchup better, due to the need to potentially match scores. He has performed fairly well for fantasy aside from the games he got hurt and the JAX game. The Lions are ripe for the picking and I am personally having a tough choice between him and Dalton this week, as Dalton is the "safer" option.

Are we going with the matchup and thinking that Winston will perform? He can certainly string some nice games to end the season, with the Lions, Falcons and Panthers to close out the fantasy playoffs.

I see I am in the same boat here as a few other posters ITT in struggling to decide between Winston and McCown (and also Dak). 

To your questions, Winston definitely has the best matchup, plus he's at home.  However, echoing other concerns, if Stafford doesn't suit up then I think Winston's ceiling goes a lot lower in what could become a true ****fest game.  Separate from that is the underlying disdain for him generally after he burned me twice earlier this season.  

I'm giving serious consideration to starting Winston, but it's an uncomfortable call.  For me, Stafford playing will be a threshold requirement to rolling Winston out...

39 minutes ago, LSUtiger said:

Separate from that is the underlying disdain for him generally after he burned me twice earlier this season. 

Burned me three times. That first game he got hurt and left early. The next week where I got scared to play him and he went bonkers for 384 and 3 TDs. Then the 2nd game he got hurt and left early. Granted the 2nd one was my fault but just shows my lack of faith in the guy.

I think if Stafford plays, I'm rolling Winston over McCown. It's hard because the latter is playing so dang well and Denver is not the stout defense we have come to know. However, Winston has such a juicy matchup in what could be a shootout - mostly because his own defense sucks. Denver will be back at home with Talib back and have to imagine their defense will be playng angry after getting shilacked by Miami for 35.

I'm between Winston and McCown too. I'm still leaning McCown bc that's what my gut says, but every metric points to Winston. As a Packer fan, our secondary is probably the worst in the league and JW genuinely looked pretty bad against GB besides an impressive 1st drive and putting up some 4th Q stats playing from behind. I'd expect the same from him this week, but I could also see him throwing a dud. He's just so careless with the ball and probably should've had 2-3 additional TOs that GB didn't capitalize on. Just my 2 cents... 

Love him in DFS this week (cheeeeeeap) and you can do far worse in regular leagues. Great matchup and at home. He looked solid last week despite Evans not really being involved. I think the Winston/Evans stack this week just might be the best one in the NFL for DFS considering cost, matchup, weather (60 degrees and 0% chance of rain in Tampa on Sunday) and rapport.