NBC Sports Edge Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

March 13 - Meets with the NFL and a NFLPA appointed medical advisor.

March 28 - Goodell must make his decision on Bryant's reinstatement by this date.

The Steelers are most likely going to miss out on the big name WRs in this FA class, so Martavis returning is somewhat critical for the team.

He reportedly added about 20lbs. of muscle in the past year which bodes well for a new found work ethic... the football fan in me hopes he makes it back.

All signs looks good from the news I can find.

Anyone got anything?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Winky said:

March 13 - Meets with the NFL and a NFLPA appointed medical advisor.

March 28 - Goodell must make his decision on Bryant's reinstatement by this date.

The Steelers are most likely going to miss out on the big name WRs in this FA class, so Martavis returning is somewhat critical for the team.

He reportedly added about 20lbs. of muscle in the past year which bodes well for a new found work ethic... the football fan in me hopes he makes it back.

All signs looks good from the news I can find.

Anyone got anything?

The Steelers GM doesn't think he will be reinstated - 3/1/17

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Pittsburgh-GM-hints-Martavis-Bryant-return-Steelers-26282

12 minutes ago, jmausen said:

The Steelers GM doesn't think he will be reinstated - 3/1/17

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Pittsburgh-GM-hints-Martavis-Bryant-return-Steelers-26282

"Kevin Colbert told me he doesn't know when Martavis Bryant will be reinstated"
Directly from the article, it's anybody's guess.

5 hours ago, Winky said:

He reportedly added about 20lbs. of muscle in the past year

As a gym-rat, i have to ask - how is this even possible?

20 lbs of weight makes sense. 20 lbs of muscle? That's hard to do even on steroids.

If he's reinstated and playing sixteen games you can draft him in the 4th and feel good about it. The physical talent is off the charts and the Steelers clearly missed him last year. Coates can't fill the role. 

Edited by Lord_Varys
41 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

20 lbs of weight makes sense. 20 lbs of muscle? That's hard to do even on steroids.

If he was a less than 22 or so kid that had never trained before (newbie gains) I might believe it.  But he'd been in the Clemson and Pitt training program previously so like you I doubt it's truly 20 lbs of lean mass.  12 in a calendar year very possible though. 

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

I can't qualify the article, but here's the link:

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Martavis-Bryant-set-to-meet-with-NFL-by-March-13-51666179

6 hours ago, petekrum said:

Zero chance he doesn't get reinstated.

Exactly. The guy has done everything asked of him under suspension. Unless there is something no one knows about, there is no way Goodell can not lift the suspension. 

• 2 weeks later...

The league has 60 days to make a decision after a player applies for reinstatement.

Bryant applied on January 28.

We should know on Tuesday.

On 3/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, predator_05 said:

Yeah...it sounds like a lot of guys that gain weight from...

...being a lazy, stoned, maybe drunk now that he can't get stoned...POS.

"Hey I know. I still look muscular(in a TE sort of way)...I know just how to spin this..."

40 time goes in the toilet.

Career goes in the toilet.

Sorry to be negative.

Dude looked like Randy Moss in last year's preseason. Proetus is right, there's no way to know how his conditioning is right now.   I'll judge his conditioning in the pre-season (assuming he's reinstated).   He has top-12 WR upside if he's in shape.

2 hours ago, Proteus said:

Yeah...it sounds like a lot of guys that gain weight from...

...being a lazy, stoned, maybe drunk now that he can't get stoned...POS.

"Hey I know. I still look muscular(in a TE sort of way)...I know just how to spin this..."

40 time goes in the toilet.

Career goes in the toilet.

Sorry to be negative.

I don't think he can drink either (i.e. Josh Gordon)

On 3/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, predator_05 said:

Do NFL players get tested while they're suspended?  If not it gave him plenty of time to hit some HGH, Steroids, whatever.

I like Martavis a lot if he gets reinstated, and if he has managed to stay in shape.  Pitt desperately needs a #2 with Antonio, and Martavis would slide right in.  With Brown, Bryant, and Bell the Steelers offense would light up the scoreboard, and there would be a real good chance every game of a TD from Martavis.  I think he certainly can finish in the Top 24 if he plays a full 16 games.  His current ADP is Round 5-6.  I would absolutely take him ahead of guys like Kelvin Benjamin, Larry Fitzgerald, Jarvis Landry, and Michael Crabtree, who all have higher ADPs currently.  Depending on how the draft goes, I would probably take Bryant ahead of RBs like Gore, Crowell, Henry too.

Lack of news is frustrating, but I did read somewhere that he needs to meet Roger first before a decision can be made and that meeting has not yet happened.

5 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/356403/Report--Martavis-Bryant-return-is-'imminent'

Return is imminent.

Can't wait to watch him in preseason.  Has all the makings of a great, great value pick.

Whether he returns or not, is it wrong of me to enjoy that the report comes from the Beaver County Times? :D

I have Martavis in a keeper 11th rounder, I'm hoping he's reinstated soon. His instagram shows a lot of videos of him training so thats pretty encouraging. There was an article posted on Roto about how history has shown suspended players that come back aren't as effective or don't make it back to their previous production. What do you think?

Edited by boshtrich17

Le'Veon Bell is pretty good.

Top of my head skill players:
Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Randy Moss

Mushin Muhammad

Edited by Winky
1 hour ago, cltubbs said:

As a Martavis owner in dynasty, this is very encouraging. 

Same, I own him and JG in dynasty.

Could you imagine?

We're talking about either 2 top 10 WRs or 2 guys out of the league. This fantasy season may reward the gambling man. I have a good feeling Martavis will be back and I'll feel better about Josh if he is reinstated and plays preseason games.