NBC Sports Edge Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

9 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Biggest threat to Martavis is The Dank.

I honestly think he's one of those few who have seen the light and knows that green isn't worth missing out on so much of the other green.  

I'm excited to see what such a physically gifted guy can do when dedicated.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Big Ben is ready to run Martavis hard starting week 1. I say, do it!

Ben Roethlisberger has issued another challenge to Martavis Bryant.

Speaking on 93.7 The Fan, Big Ben shared his new challenge for Bryant, who will play in his first regular season game in 19 months when the Steelers take on the Browns in their season opener. 

"I talked to with yesterday, I said, 'Listen, no more rust. You’ve been here long enough,"' Roethlisberger said. "We can’t have anymore, "My bad, oh yeah I forgot that," things like that. We've gotta be ready to go full speed, and I need you at your best right fro the get-go. He was all excited about that and said he’s ready to go. I feel very comfortable with the page that he and I are on."

Bryant looks different than he did the last time he put on a Steelers uniform. He's added about 20 pounds to his 6'5 frame, thanks in large measure to his work with Van Hooks Sports Performance Training. But despite his physical transformation, Bryant admitted that things were a little rough the first time he put on the pads after being cleared to practice by the NFL last month. 

“Yeah, I was a little tired the first day," Bryant said. "Each day I’m getting a little better and a little more back into it.”

While his physical appearance has changed, Bryant isn't looking to unveil a new style of play. Instead, he wants to be able to execute the things he was able to do while applying the things he's learned over the past year. 

“I just wanna do what I do. Running my routes, being a deep threat, having fun doing it.”

Bryant was one of the NFL's best deep threats before his suspension, averaging 17.3 yards per catch while catching touchdown passes of 88 and 94 yards. He has 18 touchdowns in 24 career games, a testament to his freakish athletic ability and his knack for getting open. Bryant hopes those attributes helps the Steelers offense finally achieve their goal of averaging 30 points per game for an entire season. 

“Hopefully greatness," Bryant said when asked what he thinks himself and Pittsburgh's offensive can accomplish this season. "Anything can happen, so we just wanna work hard and see how it goes.”

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Ben-Roethlisberger-to-Martavis-Bryant-No-more-rust--107021591

1 hour ago, CrastersCreep said:

I own more shares of this guy then probably any player in my 40 leagues - my hot take/bold prediction is he has a top 5 season as WR and actually outproduces AB.

How on earth do you manage 40 teams??? I have 4, and that's already my limit. 

5 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

His skill set is as close to Randy Moss as I have seen.

yeah, it was ... just hope that after the recent bulk up of 20+ lbs. we don't get David Boston 2.0 :blink:

DISCLAIMER: TO THOSE SLOW ON THE UPTAKE: that was meant to be a "funny", I'm not saying he is - TIA. 

I remember looking at Boston like holy fk that dude is ripped. And then he was a colossal bust. I was really shocked. 

2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

yeah, it was ... just hope that after the recent bulk up of 20+ lbs. we don't get David Boston 2.0 :blink:

DISCLAIMER: TO THOSE SLOW ON THE UPTAKE: that was meant to be a "funny", I'm not saying he is - TIA. 

Boston was a steroid user

First-time owner here. Excited for his high ceiling. What should we expect in terms of volume? More 4-6 catch games or do we think he can get higher to that. Obviously Brown gets bulk of the targets, but I'm hoping this will be a GB/Denver type of situation where there are two consistent stud WRs.

1 minute ago, jimithing11 said:

First-time owner here. Excited for his high ceiling. What should we expect in terms of volume? More 4-6 catch games or do we think he can get higher to that. Obviously Brown gets bulk of the targets, but I'm hoping this will be a GB/Denver type of situation where there are two consistent stud WRs.

The days of Antonio getting peppered with 15-20 targets a game because Eli Rogers is starting opposite of him are a thing on the past. AB will still get his but Bryant will see an uptick in usage.

2 hours ago, Lt. Frank Drebin said:

Took him on a long shot for most receiving TD's this season. Think he actually has a good shot at that as long as Big Ben plays a relatively healthy 16.

where did you bet this and what were the odds?

3 minutes ago, jimithing11 said:

I'm expecting Pittsburgh to be one of the best offenses in the league.  Bell, Brown, Bryant and Ben should eat pretty much every week.

3 hours ago, wayzupusc said:

I honestly think he's one of those few who have seen the light and knows that green isn't worth missing out on so much of the other green.  

I'm excited to see what such a physically gifted guy can do when dedicated.

Agreed and I may note, as a former all day pothead who still smokes occasionally, it's definitely the first four months of quitting that are the toughest. Martavis was conditionally reinstated in April and made it through the whole summer with the tough parts- you can't say the same thing for Josh Gordon.

Also worth noting that one of the best ways to quit using dank is to exercise furiously 7 days a week. Inside every pothead is a body builder waiting to escape. Martavis is doing just that and seeing as he didn't even work out before, I take that as a great sign.

The smart ones this year see Martavis as a risk worth taking even when Ezekiel is too risky for their blood. 

Edited by pushaZ
1 minute ago, pushaZ said:

Agreed and may not, as a former all day pothead who still smokes occasionally, it's definitely the first four months of quitting that are the toughest. Martavis was conditionally reinstated in April and made it through the whole summer with the tough parts- you can't say the same thing for Josh Gordon.

Also worth noting that one of the best ways to quit using dank is to exercise furiously 7 days a week. Inside every pothead is a body builder waiting to escape. 

The smart ones this year see Martavis as a risk worth taking even when Ezekiel is too risky for their blood. 

Please don't knock my Josh Gordon. He, too, will return to glory. 

18 minutes ago, smuz1 said:

Just an outside question from the current topic.  With Bryant bulking up 10-15 pounds, is he more likely to get injured now, since his frame is not used to the extra weight?  Is he more likely to possibly have knee problems?  

What?????? Is this a serious question? I have no idea why you would think getting stronger and adding muscle is a concern for injury. I mean why would anyone hit the weight room if that was the case.

40 minutes ago, smuz1 said:

Just an outside question from the current topic.  With Bryant bulking up 10-15 pounds, is he more likely to get injured now, since his frame is not used to the extra weight?  Is he more likely to possibly have knee problems?  

Theoretically it should be the opposite.  More muscle = more protection for his bones, organs, ligaments, etc.

He's a world-class athlete, his frame should be able to support 15 or even 20 or more lbs of additional weight.

The only thing you'd even consider questioning is his speed, but if he's really at 5% BF like he says, I am not losing a wink of sleep over it.

Edited by JJ1223