Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook


Winky
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Same, I own him and JG in dynasty.

Could you imagine?

We're talking about either 2 top 10 WRs or 2 guys out of the league. This fantasy season may reward the gambling man. I have a good feeling Martavis will be back and I'll feel better about Josh if he is reinstated and plays preseason games.

 

I think you get them both.

Performance-wise, I feel more confident about Bryant being consistent... partially because he's on Pittsburgh and partially he's a new dad.

Having Said that, If Gordon is reinstated, I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder about all this lost time.  

I hope Cleveland lets him go to another team... really would like to see what he could do with a legit QB.

Edited by Winky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Winky said:

 

I think you get them both.

Performance-wise, I feel more confident about Bryant being consistent... partially because he's on Pittsburgh and partially he's a new dad.

Having Said that, If Gordon is reinstated, I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder about all this lost time.  

I hope Cleveland lets him go to another team... really would like to see what he could do with a legit QB.

Fantasy-wise, Gordon would erupt elsewhere. That being said I think Mahomes/Kessler will be able to support JG. It doesn't take much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, boshtrich17 said:

What do you think Marty B's ceiling is in terms of yards catches and tds this season?

 

16-game-pace of 868 yards in 2014 (only 10 games played).  12.8 TD pace.

 

16-game-pace of 1,112 yards in 2015 (only 11 games played).  8.7 TD pace.

 

His ceiling is 1,200 and 12, which is a mid range WR1.  Other teams have supported multiple WR1s in the past.

 

Reasonable projection over 16 games is 1,000 and 10.  But he's never played a full 16 game season, and supposedly he's 20 lbs heavier now than he's ever been, AND we haven't seen him on the field in something like 18 months?  Could just as easily end up at 700 yards, 7 TDs, and 12 games played.

 

Raw talent and physical ability, he might be one of the top 10 WRs in the league.  And the situation in Pittsburgh is perfect for him.  Can he figure it out between the ears?  Is it too late?  Risk, risk, risk, all factored into his price tag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

 

16-game-pace of 868 yards in 2014 (only 10 games played).  12.8 TD pace.

 

16-game-pace of 1,112 yards in 2015 (only 11 games played).  8.7 TD pace.

 

His ceiling is 1,200 and 12, which is a mid range WR1.  Other teams have supported multiple WR1s in the past.

 

Reasonable projection over 16 games is 1,000 and 10.  But he's never played a full 16 game season, and supposedly he's 20 lbs heavier now than he's ever been, AND we haven't seen him on the field in something like 18 months?  Could just as easily end up at 700 yards, 7 TDs, and 12 games played.

 

Raw talent and physical ability, he might be one of the top 10 WRs in the league.  And the situation in Pittsburgh is perfect for him.  Can he figure it out between the ears?  Is it too late?  Risk, risk, risk, all factored into his price tag.

I will say this though, if he does figure it out..... the rest of the league is going to be in trouble. 
There were a handful of dropped would be TDs or miscommunications that would have gone for 6. Anyone who owned Martavis in 15' knows that the dude would pop off for 20 point games and still leave you wanting more. He left yards and TDs on the field the last time he played which is scary when you consider he was still performing like a top-15 WR based on what seemed like physical talent alone.

"I used to just show up on Saturday and ball out. Show up on Sunday and ball. I never trained in the off-season. Maybe like once a month. My first year, I went to L.A. in the off-season and I was good during that first week. Then there wasn’t any more training." - quote from his SI feature (https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/13/martavis-bryant-suspension-steelers-marijuana-reinstatement)

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Betting on any NFL player who has missed a year of football for non-injury reasons to be better than he ever was before is a strategy with a horrible track record. 

I'm not holding my breath for him to finally put it all together and ascend into the top-10. 
I do expect his physical talent to continue to carry him as it has in prior years though. Any improvement on top of that is viewed as a bonus.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Bryant's restatement imminent I felt it was a good time to get some feed back on the ultra talented WR. Depending on what the hype train may or may not do he could represent incredible value .  

Edited by pittkidd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many studs can that offense produce? Bell is locked in for 2000+ yards, assuming health, with 10+ TDs. AB should hit 1300 minimum, likely more, with 10+ TDs. How much can Bryant really eat? It'll be fun to see him back on the field tho if he's kept himself in game shape, or gets there before September.

Edited by Ffguy0087
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

How many studs can that offense produce? Bell is locked in for 2000+ yards, assuming health, with 10+ TDs. AB should hit 1300 minimum, likely more, with 10+ TDs. How much can Bryant really eat? It'll be fun to see him back on the field tho if he's kept himself in game shape, or gets there before September.

 

Not a safe assumption considering his last 3 seasons have ended early because of injuries requiring surgery, and his other year began with missing 3 games because of a foot injury. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The NFL Draft starts on Thursday.

Got to think we'll hear the decision early this week.

Even Goodell wouldn't leave the Steelers in the dark on Bryant's status heading into the draft... would he?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Winky said:

The NFL Draft starts on Thursday.

Got to think we'll hear the decision early this week.

Even Goodell wouldn't leave the Steelers in the dark on Bryant's status heading into the draft... would he?

 

 

I'm sure they already know. If they take a WR in the first 2 rounds, it tells us what we need to know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2017 at 0:53 PM, joshua18 said:

 

I'm sure they already know. If they take a WR in the first 2 rounds, it tells us what we need to know. 

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said the team still does not know if suspended WR Martavis Bryant will be reinstated.

"We have no information. We have no idea if we’ll get information (before the draft) or not," Colbert said Monday. "We have to operate under the assumption that, until he is here, he is not here." Bryant has widely been expected to gain reinstatement, but Colbert is clearly not taking that for granted. Whether that means the Steelers are just being prudent or have been given a heads up remains to be seen. Either way, it will not be surprising if Pittsburgh invests an early-round pick on a pass catcher this week.
 
 
Apr 24 - 11:47 PM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2017 at 1:53 PM, joshua18 said:

I'm sure they already know. If they take a WR in the first 2 rounds, it tells us what we need to know. 

 

I tend to agree even though everyone is saying they do not know.

It's one thing to keep the player in the dark, but I don't think Goodell would toy with an owner in quite the same way.

Goodell's delay is arbitrary and the draft process is too critical for team building.

 

I expect an announcement today or tomorrow... certainly something before the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

WTF is the league doing??

 

 

Josh Gordon was suspended in 2013, 2014, 2015 (alcohol), and 2016.  Yes, he was reinstated and suspended four different times.  The latest one is indefinite.

 

NFL told Martavis he needs a "relapse prevention plan" so he is not a habitual violator.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...