NBC Sports Edge Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steelers News: The best is yet to come for Martavis Bryant

The Pittsburgh Steelers are still looking for big contributions by their big wide receiver, and the best might be coming soon.

Martavis Bryant insists his drug-related, off-field problems are “all behind me.”

As for the conditioning associated with playing football? “I'm back into it.”

Bryant also swears he's a much better receiver than he was when he was a raw rookie back in 2014.

So why hasn't the production been there so far this season?

“As far as the explosion plays, we haven't hit them like we used to,” Bryant said before Wednesday's practice. “But it's still a long season, and you've still got to keep working. In due time, it will come.”

Through four games this season, Bryant has 10 catches for 183 yards and one touchdown.

Not bad — but rather pedestrian compared to what was expected out of the dynamic 25-year-old.

To put Bryant's 2017 statistics through four games into perspective, in December 2015, Bryant had a single game in which he had 10 catches, and a month earlier he had a game where he racked up almost as many yards as he has so far this season (178 in a win against Cleveland).

He also has had five games (including playoffs) in his career in which he scored two touchdowns.

But so far this season, Bryant hasn’t eclipsed three receptions per game. He has scored in only one and he’s had more than 48 receiving yards just once.

For his part, Bryant is unconcerned this trend will continue.

“Sometimes you have your misses, and sometimes you make them,” he said. “So you’ve just got to continue to work at it. What it comes down to is we’re going to hit them sooner or later.”

The narrative surrounding Bryant's slow start could easily be flipped, if only for a few inches here and there. During each of the past three games, there was a play that, if added to Bryant's stat line, could have dramatically altered his season’s production:

• Three weeks ago at Heinz Field against Minnesota, Bryant drew a 49-yard pass interference penalty

• On the first snap from scrimmage from the Steelers’ 25-yard line on Sept. 24 in Chicago, Bryant was targeted 40 yards downfield by Ben Roethlisberger and had nearly a 5-yard cushion beyond Bears cornerback Marcus Cooper Sr.

• On Sunday in Baltimore, Roethlisberger overthrew an open Bryant for what would have been an easy 41-yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter

If those three plays are completed, Bryant's season stats look more—well—Bryant-like: 13 catches for 348 yards and three touchdowns in four games.

This would compare more favorably to the 4-game starts Bryant had in his other two NFL seasons.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/10/5/16428042/steelers-news-the-best-is-yet-to-come-for-martavis-bryant-antonio-brown-ben-roethlisberger-nfl

3 hours ago, burninglegs said:

Steelers News: The best is yet to come for Martavis Bryant

The Pittsburgh Steelers are still looking for big contributions by their big wide receiver, and the best might be coming soon.

Martavis Bryant insists his drug-related, off-field problems are “all behind me.”

As for the conditioning associated with playing football? “I'm back into it.”

Bryant also swears he's a much better receiver than he was when he was a raw rookie back in 2014.

So why hasn't the production been there so far this season?

“As far as the explosion plays, we haven't hit them like we used to,” Bryant said before Wednesday's practice. “But it's still a long season, and you've still got to keep working. In due time, it will come.”

Through four games this season, Bryant has 10 catches for 183 yards and one touchdown.

Not bad — but rather pedestrian compared to what was expected out of the dynamic 25-year-old.

To put Bryant's 2017 statistics through four games into perspective, in December 2015, Bryant had a single game in which he had 10 catches, and a month earlier he had a game where he racked up almost as many yards as he has so far this season (178 in a win against Cleveland).

He also has had five games (including playoffs) in his career in which he scored two touchdowns.

But so far this season, Bryant hasn’t eclipsed three receptions per game. He has scored in only one and he’s had more than 48 receiving yards just once.

For his part, Bryant is unconcerned this trend will continue.

“Sometimes you have your misses, and sometimes you make them,” he said. “So you’ve just got to continue to work at it. What it comes down to is we’re going to hit them sooner or later.”

The narrative surrounding Bryant's slow start could easily be flipped, if only for a few inches here and there. During each of the past three games, there was a play that, if added to Bryant's stat line, could have dramatically altered his season’s production:

• Three weeks ago at Heinz Field against Minnesota, Bryant drew a 49-yard pass interference penalty

• On the first snap from scrimmage from the Steelers’ 25-yard line on Sept. 24 in Chicago, Bryant was targeted 40 yards downfield by Ben Roethlisberger and had nearly a 5-yard cushion beyond Bears cornerback Marcus Cooper Sr.

• On Sunday in Baltimore, Roethlisberger overthrew an open Bryant for what would have been an easy 41-yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter

If those three plays are completed, Bryant's season stats look more—well—Bryant-like: 13 catches for 348 yards and three touchdowns in four games.

This would compare more favorably to the 4-game starts Bryant had in his other two NFL seasons.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/10/5/16428042/steelers-news-the-best-is-yet-to-come-for-martavis-bryant-antonio-brown-ben-roethlisberger-nfl

Great posts (this and your previous).

I've been thinking along the same lines as pointed out in those two articles (having the deep out highlighted was nice, and gives further confidence), but I really like what I read from MB. Patience, not panic or frustration, comes across. He talks about doing work, working hard, persistence, letting the plays come. All good stuff.

It just occurred to me: perhaps there's something we're all missing about AB's tantrum last week. Maybe he's feeling a bit threatened. You wouldn't think he'd feel any heat from a guy averaging 2.5 catches a game, but we don't see behind the scenes. There's a bromance element to all great QB+WR connections, and Ben has been going steady with AB for years. Don't get me wrong, not saying AB isn't still Ben's #1. But the offense is a bit stale so far, predictable. He's still getting the targets, but perhaps life with Ben+AB has become a little... boring?  Now MB is back, this physical spectacle with blazing speed, and Ben's eye might wander. Perhaps he's shown a little more excitement, attention toward MB in practice.  Imagine how your wife/gf would react to you working with some stunning, charming young lady all of a sudden.  She can see the talent, hears you mention her often. How would she react? Would she lash out a bit? Make a scene if you forget to order her favorite drink?

Just a thought, but an interesting paradigm through which to view AB's antics last weekend...

2 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Great posts (this and your previous).

I've been thinking along the same lines as pointed out in those two articles (having the deep out highlighted was nice, and gives further confidence), but I really like what I read from MB. Patience, not panic or frustration, comes across. He talks about doing work, working hard, persistence, letting the plays come. All good stuff.

It just occurred to me: perhaps there's something we're all missing about AB's tantrum last week. Maybe he's feeling a bit threatened. You wouldn't think he'd feel any heat from a guy averaging 2.5 catches a game, but we don't see behind the scenes. There's a bromance element to all great QB+WR connections, and Ben has been going steady with AB for years. Don't get me wrong, not saying AB isn't still Ben's #1. But the offense is a bit stale so far, predictable. He's still getting the targets, but perhaps life with Ben+AB has become a little... boring?  Now MB is back, this physical spectacle with blazing speed, and Ben's eye might wander. Perhaps he's shown a little more excitement, attention toward MB in practice.  Imagine how your wife/gf would react to you working with some stunning, charming young lady all of a sudden.  She can see the talent, hears you mention her often. How would she react? Would she lash out a bit? Make a scene if you forget to order her favorite drink?

Just a thought, but an interesting paradigm through which to view AB's antics last weekend...

Maybe. Maybe not. But you could be on to something. Before AB became the man in Pittsburgh he was second fiddle to Mike Wallace. So if anybody knows about a shift or changing of the guards it's him.

I hope AB doesn't see Bryant as a threat though cause 1) he's still the man. 2) that would be incredibly selfish on his part and 3) AB is still the best in the game and Bryant is young and hasn't come close to his prime yet. 

They're completely different players.

One is a deep threat and a deep threat only. The other is the ultimate all round WR in the game with the safest hands around. 

They can and will be able to coexist. Roethlisberger just hasn't been on it the first few games.

26 minutes ago, fjthegrey said:

They're completely different players.

One is a deep threat and a deep threat only. The other is the ultimate all round WR in the game with the safest hands around. 

They can and will be able to coexist. Roethlisberger just hasn't been on it the first few games.

What? The article by Daniel Valente on the previous page with the game tape just showed the opposite; Martavis is becoming a more well rounded WR and being trusted with different routes by Big Ben. He isn't a "deep threat and a deep threat only."

1 hour ago, yanksman said:

After the Evans debacle I might feel more inclined to play my boom or bust WR3 Bryant this week over lessor flex options like the Funchess' or Jaron brown's of the world.

I would definitely be starting MB over Jaron or Funchess

ARI has to go cross country, east cost for a 1pm game.  The narrative is there and is not favorable.

Funchess is still a big question mark to me simply because that offense is reinventing itself with an abnormal, banged up Cam, who is having touch problems, and CM taking on this Reggie Bush/Sproles/Thomas joker role.  

Edited by jrussell4402

MB where art thou?  Thy time is coming that I may have to call upon thee in these harsh times called bye-weeks.

Can'st thou be trusted to come into battle and produce as a shining knight?

Time is running out. 

Thy KING must see solid production soon or I will have no choice but to cast thee out into the bottomless pit called the waiver wire!     

17 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

MB where art thou?  Thy time is coming that I may have to call upon thee in these harsh times called bye-weeks.

Can'st thou be trusted to come into battle and produce as a shining knight?

Time is running out. 

Thy KING must see solid production soon or I will have no choice but to cast thee out into the bottomless pit called the waiver wire!     

Dilley Dilley

This is last week for MB and me. Doesn't help thst Big Ben has obviously checked out mentally , just waiting for his post game speech one of this weeks saying "Im done".... Im starting Jaron though this week( gotta ride that train till its stops) but if MB has another dud this week ,,, see ya 

26 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

This is last week for MB and me. Doesn't help thst Big Ben has obviously checked out mentally , just waiting for his post game speech one of this weeks saying "Im done".... Im starting Jaron though this week( gotta ride that train till its stops) but if MB has another dud this week ,,, see ya 

Funny, but I also feel better starting Jaron instead of Martavious.  Of course we all know MB could give us that 60'yd td strike at any moment so we take our chance he is on the bench while that happens.  Are we prepared for that moment?  I know I would be very upset at myself for starting him 4 weeks and then bench him and then KABOOM!   I guess I still have some thinking to do here.....

It's ridiculous to think that it has such a major effect on professional athletes, but once again, as has been repeated ad infinitum, the Steelers just aren't the same team on the road, and if you were buying into Martavis you should have been fully aware of that beforehand. I don't understand all of this hand-wringing and downtrodden attitude towards a blatantly obvious fact of this team. They've had one home game this year. That game? 91 yards and a touchdown. 

Brown will always get his because he's incredible and they'll constantly move him around to get him the ball. Bell will always be a central facet of the team. Bryant is in the game plan on a regular basis now and is being integrated into more and more routes every week. These people riding Juju's jock are just ludicrous... He's overtaken Eli Rogers and that's as far as he'll climb. His lackluster numbers are buoyed by 2 touchdown grabs in 3 games, which isn't sustainable. He's the Jesse James of the slot. 

There's been a pretty terrible schedule for a team like the Steelers to start the season... First 6 games are 4 away games, with the 2 at home being against the Vikings and the Jaguars, stout defenses. If you drafted Martavis to be your #2 or even #3 WR throughout the season, I can understand the frustration but you should have understood the inherent risk before drafting him. If, however, you were able to grab him as a spot starter to supplement a solid starter corp, then you just use him when the matchup is right. I don't love this matchup whatsoever this week, but I may have to roll him out just because it's a home game and I need the sheer upside he offers. 

Feel free to drop him if that's what your gut is telling you, but you're most likely not going to be finding anyone else with the upside he offers, and you're certainly not going to be able to just grab him again when those juicy matchups roll around. 

Tread lightly, there are better days ahead. 

18 minutes ago, DekuTree said:

It's ridiculous to think that it has such a major effect on professional athletes, but once again, as has been repeated ad infinitum, the Steelers just aren't the same team on the road, and if you were buying into Martavis you should have been fully aware of that beforehand. I don't understand all of this hand-wringing and downtrodden attitude towards a blatantly obvious fact of this team. They've had one home game this year. That game? 91 yards and a touchdown. 

Brown will always get his because he's incredible and they'll constantly move him around to get him the ball. Bell will always be a central facet of the team. Bryant is in the game plan on a regular basis now and is being integrated into more and more routes every week. These people riding Juju's jock are just ludicrous... He's overtaken Eli Rogers and that's as far as he'll climb. His lackluster numbers are buoyed by 2 touchdown grabs in 3 games, which isn't sustainable. He's the Jesse James of the slot. 

There's been a pretty terrible schedule for a team like the Steelers to start the season... First 6 games are 4 away games, with the 2 at home being against the Vikings and the Jaguars, stout defenses. If you drafted Martavis to be your #2 or even #3 WR throughout the season, I can understand the frustration but you should have understood the inherent risk before drafting him. If, however, you were able to grab him as a spot starter to supplement a solid starter corp, then you just use him when the matchup is right. I don't love this matchup whatsoever this week, but I may have to roll him out just because it's a home game and I need the sheer upside he offers. 

Feel free to drop him if that's what your gut is telling you, but you're most likely not going to be finding anyone else with the upside he offers, and you're certainly not going to be able to just grab him again when those juicy matchups roll around. 

I certainly agree with most of this. But the guy did have a lot of touchdowns before the suspensions. So I wouldn't blame anyone that drafted him thinking they were going to get consistent WR2 numbers out of him.

It is ludicrous to think anyone in a serious league would have dropped him already. No way! You are exactly right...Much much better days ahead!

The problem is not Martavis, the problem is Big Ben and Martavis connecting. Ignore the targets, snap counts,etc watch some film and you can see there is a disconnect between him and Big ben.

i'm not good enough to analyze as to whether it's more QB issues or WR issues but i do see the disconnect.

On October 6, 2017 at 12:42 AM, rasto21585 said:

Do you guys feel juju is more reliable than bryant so far?

I wouldn't say more reliable. I think they are both reliable and both a product of immediate circumstance. 

defenses are are going to gravitate towards Bryant and brown. this gives juju's role a very strong upside in this offense. 

13 minutes ago, KB_IV said:

I certainly agree with most of this. But the guy did have a lot of touchdowns before the suspensions. So I wouldn't blame anyone that drafted him thinking they were going to get consistent WR2 numbers out of him.

True, but he was also out of the game for well over a year and missed essentially all of his practice time since then. It's one thing to stay in shape, it's another to be expected to just flip a switch and expect the chemistry to immediately come back between your QB and you and to be able to pick up exactly where you left off. All things considered, I think he's working his way back into the game exceptionally well and quickly, the numbers just haven't borne that out yet. I suspect they will sooner than later. 

On 10/6/2017 at 7:24 AM, burninglegs said:

What? The article by Daniel Valente on the previous page with the game tape just showed the opposite; Martavis is becoming a more well rounded WR and being trusted with different routes by Big Ben. He isn't a "deep threat and a deep threat only."

Clearly this person doesn't watch the games. (fjthegrey)

I'm not concerned with Bryant as a Steeler fan and fantasy owner (my 5th WR). He had a long layoff so I fully expected there be some timing issues to resolve with Ben. All in all he looks great. He's in the best shape of his life and taking in all the small details seriously. He's had a great attitude and in a good place in his personal life. The sky is the limit, but patience must be practiced here, it's gonna come. 

If you took him in the 5th or 6th rd and beyond this is the type of player that can win your league.

Edited by throwinsamoan
1 hour ago, DekuTree said:

I've gotta say i was overly optimistic coming into this season about the steelers. I argued that Ben would buck the "home road splits" as much of those stretches where he struggled on the road he was either without bell or bryant. Well here we are in 2017 and it's the same narrative. Big Ben just hasn't quite looked right all season despite being decently productive, and Martavis has mind bogglingly been dangerously close to a huge game just about every week this season and only has one solid game to show for it and whiffing 3 times.

At the end of the day Martavis is still far from droppable. as said in earlier posts, his only productive week has been there only week at home despite it being against a tough Vikes D. Jags D is "really good against the pass" as in they have played horrible QB's so far this year. Ben and Martavis should be fine this week im starting both. But i can only start them at home thought despite my preseason optimism. I have Rivers/Tyrell on this particulr team so I'm left to sub in that duo when the steelers are on the road. Not the best recourse but the home road splits are still going to haunt this team unfortunately, particularly ben and martavis.

Edited by cbe_88

Just got an injury alert that MB is questionable. Haven't seen any blurbs on why yet. Even went so far as to google the beat writers twitters and found nothing.

Any news? A hint of an injury could be enough for me to bench him and put in Cobb.

Just now, omnom1337 said:

Just got an injury alert that MB is questionable. Haven't seen any blurbs on why yet. Even went so far as to google the beat writers twitters and found nothing.

Any news? A hint of an injury could be enough for me to bench him and put in Cobb.

Says with some illness

Just now, shakennbakee said:

Says with some illness

Was just about to edit my post, saw that too:

The Steelers are listing Bryant as questionable for Sunday's game against the Jaguars due to an illness, Burt Lauten of the team's official website reports.
Spin: 

Bryant presumably just began feeling under the weather, as he was a full participant at practice throughout the week. He is likely to be a game-time call Sunday depending on how he is feeling closer to kick off. Fortunately, the Steelers play in the early slate of games, so owners will be able to adjust their lineups accordingly should the 25-year-old ultimately sit out. If that is the case, both JuJu Smith-Schuster and Eli Rogers figure to be in line to see increased snaps and targets.

Wonder what the deal is, wasn't he sick last week too? IIRC they mentioned headaches too. A little concerning for this to pop up the day before the game, rather than last time which was like Wednesday.