NBC Sports Edge Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read between the lines, people. juju is a better fit for the offense they want to do now- grind with bell and destroy with intermediate routes. The deep ball just isn’t working right now. And when Ben says it, Bryant is definitely screwed.

Pick up juju. Immediately.

Edited by PlayTheWaivers

Sounds like a lot of you guys are panicking... taken from a Reddit user who listened to the interview:

This is wildly misleading. It's from a Big Ben radio interview and all he said was that Eli Rogers might get a few more snaps to get different looks because he didn't even suit up the last few games. Super offhand comment about Martavis that I wouldn't look into.

In reference to Eli Rogers.

“I think he’ll be on the field this Sunday. I think you know, it is obviously the coach’s call and things like that, but I think he just wanted to give JuJu (Smith-Schuster) some time and see what he can do. I think we’ll see more of Eli this week.

“I think he’s a good man-beater guy. He is one of the quickest people I’ve ever seen. He gets in and out of breaks quick, and I think we’ll see him on the field with JuJu. Maybe put JuJu outside and give Martavis (Bryant) a break. Keep JuJu inside, you know, be able to move some guys around and do some things, because JuJu does some really good things with his size and body in zone coverages, while Eli does some good stuff with man.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017-nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-kansas-city-chiefs-tickets-streaming-time-how-to-watch/2017/10/11/16454984/ben-roethlisberger-hints-at-possible-wide-receiver-changes-coming-for-the-steelers-eli-rogers-rumors

Could be saying when MB needs a break, they could move JuJu outside and Eli to the slot?  

Just now, Scrhute_Farms said:

Could be saying when MB needs a break, they could move JuJu outside and Eli to the slot?  

Interesting.

TBH it sounds like he's referring to Juju as like a change-of-pace back to the bellcow when he needs a breather or something.

That quote and blurb don't really concern me much.  It just makes sense.  You want one more WR on the field, then you need to take one off, and obviously it's not going to be AB.  He's talking about a specific formation they might want to play with.  He's not talking about running the whole game like that.

Is MB's season as a whole concerning me?  You bet it is.  But that quote means little, and to be honest if it gets the offense moving in general then it can't be bad for MB.  He's too big and talented to be completely phased out.

Just now, Scrhute_Farms said:

Yeah doesn't sound like a benching or that Ben wants JuJu to take over Bryants role. 

I still think it warrants concern. JuJu is already outsnapping MB in the last 3 weeks, and this comment indicates MB needs more of a break? Doesn't add up.

1. Damn. Anyone who panicked and swapped MB out with JuJu go see if you can pick up MB again. The quote was taken out of context. Ben was talking about how Eli is going to be in there in the slot because he's better at breaking down man, vs. Juju who can do things against zone coverage. He then mentioned Juju giving MB a "break" just, because he was talking about Juju's versatility to play both in the slot and outside. Basically Juju is getting benched by Eli Rodgers. I live in Pittsburgh and listen to that radio show all the time. And that's how it sounded to me.
Edited by USWAY

maybe after Ben's drama queen post game performance last week he suggested this move?

perhaps he's not gelling w/Bryant, and doesn't wanna run certain designed MB plays any longer?

"yo, I'm playing like dogspit, get #10 outta the mix next week, no way in hell i can stand in vs that Chiefs pass rush for those routes to develop ... I'M NOT FRICKIN' DeSHAUN WATSON!!!! DAMNIT!!1!!1!"

?

36 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Why are they giving Bryant a break? I haven't seen any games so maybe there is a disconnect between him and Ben but Ben has been terrible. If anyone needs a break it should be Ben.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I find it comical that a QB who just threw 5 picks including 2 pick sixes and basically single-handedly lost the last game is saying anybody needs a break.

I'd say Big Ben is the one that needs a break.

14 minutes ago, USWAY said:
  1. Damn. Anyone who panicked and swapped MB out with JuJu go see if you can pick up MB again. The quote was taken out of context. Ben was talking about how Eli is going to be in there in the slot because he's better at breaking down man, vs. Juju who can do things against zone coverage. He then mentioned Juju giving MB a "break" just, because he was talking about Juju's versatility to play both in the slot and outside. Basically Juju is getting benched by Eli Rodgers. I live in Pittsburgh and listen to that radio show all the time. And that's how it sounded to me.

Agree.  And with the kind of deep routes Bryant runs all game long, even when he's not getting targets, he may be getting a little gassed (even if it doesn't show up in the box score).  Getting spelled on a few snaps might HELP Bryant's production in terms of explosiveness when he does get a ball thrown his way.  Recall, he was out for an entire year.  

It is not great news for Martavis.  Ben basically said Eli is going to start playing again.  Normally one wuold think Eli's snaps come directly at the expense of Juju, but Ben is suggesting that Bryant could give up some snaps too to keep Juju involved while working Eli back into the offense.

3 minutes ago, Euphonetics said:

It is not great news for Martavis.  Ben basically said Eli is going to start playing again.  Normally one wuold think Eli's snaps come directly at the expense of Juju, but Ben is suggesting that Bryant could give up some snaps too to keep Juju involved while working Eli back into the offense.

Exactly this. Bryant was already losing snaps and not producing.

18 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Ben is simply ignoring everyone except his boy AB and Jesse James. Until that changes the Steelers are a dysfunctional mess

Or they're realizing that they just aren't connecting on Martavis and that he doesn't fit the identity of the offense anymore. They're trying to adjust what isn't working. 

Martavis hasn't done crap this year. Put him on your bench until he does otherwise.

Read what Eupohentics said above. Read what Big Ben is trying to say. This thread is pretty tone deaf.

Edited by PlayTheWaivers
2 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Or they're realizing that they just aren't connecting on Martavis and that he doesn't fit the identity of the offense anymore.

Well said.

Instead of changing the s---y offensive playcalling to fit the strengths of their players, they're trying to move the personnel around to better fit the s---y offensive playcalling.  

Dink and dunk isn't working?  Let's get a better dink and dunk player out onto the field!

They see Martavis as nothing more than a deep ball guy.  They want Ju Ju to be the WR2.

This franchise is at the very end of their window and they're blowing whatever chance they had.  Instead of being quiet and going about your business in a blue collar Pittsburgh way... Brown is throwing tantrums, Ben is being a bitch, Bell is releasing god-awful rap albums, and Haley is trying to take a thunder and lightning offense and turn it into a west coast dink and dunk team.  Just sad to watch.

6 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Or you know you can look at Big Bens stats as well. Not starting Bryant obviously, but only blaming him while your QB is atrocious is JV attitude 

Somehow Antonio Brown is still killing it in my league despite Ben's poor play.  For FF purposes, I think Martavis is the problem here. 

lol how is this worthy of a blurb?

This is the actual line for those interested

Roethlisberger, Tuesday  on his 93.7 The Fan radio spot, suggested that Smith-Schuster could play more on the outside to give Martavis Bryant a break Sunday in Kansas City while Rogers plays in the slot.

So this could happen when Bryant gets a break. And what is a break? Bryant doesn't play 100 percent of the snaps to begin with, so obviously he's going to sit out some plays.