NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

Winky

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, here are the five best WR options on the wire in my league: Tyrell Williams, Ted Ginn, Tyler Lockett, Kenny Britt, and Robby Anderson.

Can you really talk yourself into dropping Martavis for any of those guys?  We have to treat him until a WR4 until he shows signs of life, but it's pretty hard to drop him unless there are significantly better options on your wire.

Edited by eg4190

8 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

I mean, here are the five best WR options on the wire in my league: Tyrell Williams, Ted Ginn, Tyler Lockett, Kenny Britt, and Robby Anderson.

Can you really talk yourself into dropping Martavis for any of those guys?  We have to treat him until a WR4 until he shows signs of life, but it's pretty hard to drop him unless there are significantly better options on your wire.

everyones situation is different. league size, how you built your roster, whats available on WW all factor in. you can drop him for other players besides a WR too.

but make no mistake, he is an easy canadiate to be dropped and in a 10 team he probably should be. 

18 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Yup. Only league winner in that list is Tyrell and he would need an injury to Keenan to get the targets to make him a league winner. Until that point, he is similar to MB. Pick your WR lotto ticket how you like, at least with MB it can't get any worse and we know what he can do when the offense involves him. 

8 hours ago, burninglegs said:

Wrong. Todd Haley and Big Ben are garbage because they don't know how to get the ball into the hands of one of their weapons and a top talent in the NFL. Not MB's fault he plays for an inept team that forgot how to use him. 

Nope. I'm sorry but MB has not shown in any way that he is a "top talent in the NFL". I'm not saying he's trash but in no way is he a top talent. You have to produce at some point to be considered a top talent. There might be a reason he doesn't get the ball thrown his way. 

Brown is a top talent in the NFL, maybe THE top talent at WR. That's why he gets 15 targets a game and MB doesn't. Him and Bell make good things happen in that offense when they get the ball. That's why they get the ball a lot. 

Just now, yossarian said:

Nope. I'm sorry but MB has not shown in any way that he is a "top talent in the NFL". I'm not saying he's trash but in no way is he a top talent. You have to produce at some point to be considered a top talent. There might be a reason he doesn't get the ball thrown his way. 

Brown is a top talent in the NFL, maybe THE top talent at WR. That's why he gets 15 targets a game and MB doesn't. Him and Bell make good things happen in that offense when they get the ball. That's why they get the ball a lot. 

First 21 games of his career: 76/1314/14. 18% TD rate. Yeah, that is a top talent. Not to mention 6'4" that has 4.4 speed. Yeah, that is top talent. Any pass can be taken to home from him. Whether a short slant or whether a 50 yard bomb. 

Just now, burninglegs said:

First 21 games of his career: 76/1314/14. 18% TD rate. Yeah, that is a top talent. Not to mention 6'4" that has 4.4 speed. Yeah, that is top talent. Any pass can be taken to home from him. Whether a short slant or whether a 50 yard bomb. 

nope. antonio brown and odb are top talents. They are at the top when it comes to WR in the NFL. MB has potential, but he's also managed to miss a season due to suspension and his QB would rather throw the ball to a rookie WR than him. 

Calling a WR who's right on the edge of being waiver wire fodder "top talent" is questionable. 

nope. antonio brown and odb are top talents. They are at the top when it comes to WR in the NFL. MB has potential, but he's also managed to miss a season due to suspension and his QB would rather throw the ball to a rookie WR than him. 

Calling a WR who's right on the edge of being waiver wire fodder "top talent" is questionable. 

6'4"

4.4 speed

18% TD catch rate over his first two seasons.

Career TD catch rate %

Bryant: 16.1%

Antonio Brown: 7.6%

Julio Jones: 7.6%

ODB: 12.1%

Dez: 14.5%

Evans: 11.3%

Bryant is a top 10 WR talent. The Steelers using him properly is a completely different discussion. 

Just now, burninglegs said:

6'4"

4.4 speed

Career TD catch rate %

Bryant is a top 10 WR talent. The Steelers using him properly is a completely different discussion. 

If I was thrown 2 passes a game, I'd probably catch them too

3 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

6'4"

4.4 speed

Career TD catch rate %

Man. I love that I'm in a thread where the participants complain that Antonio Brown gets too many touches and Martavis Bryant is a top 10 NFL WR talent. Sure man. You keep holding him waiting for him to consistently produce. Let me know how that goes for you. 

6 minutes ago, yossarian said:

Man. I love that I'm in a thread where the participants complain that Antonio Brown gets too many touches and Martavis Bryant is a top 10 NFL WR talent. Sure man. You keep holding him waiting for him to consistently produce. Let me know how that goes for you. 

Brown

ODB

Julio

Evans

AJG

After that, who has the athleticism that MB has, especially in height and speed? He is a freak of nature and a mismatch on the field as no CB can cover him. 

You keep mistaking the talent and trying to blend that in with his lack of use by the Steelers. Those are two completely different issues. His first two seasons already showed his talent and what he can do when he is involved in the offense. We aren't basing this off of some preseason or what the guy did in college. We are basing it off of what he did in real NFL games. He has a higher TD catch rate than Brown, Julio, Evans, Dez, ODB....etc.  The guy is a freak and is using improperly = not being used. 

If you can't see Bryant's talent, you are a poor talent evaluator. 

Edited by burninglegs

It's just curious to me why The Steelers, who are generally regarded as a well run organization, would choose to so completely under-utilize one of the top 6 most talented WRs in the league. Doesn't that seem curious to you? 

Never said he was a top 6 physical talent. I said he was a top 10. Don't change what I wrote to fit your narrative.

Regarding why Steelers aren't using him? Part of it is probably to blame on the play calling and the offense not being as high octane as we had seen in recent years. This is an offense that should be scoring +30 points every week. Big Ben has also been terrible this season. 

12 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Brown

ODB

Julio

Evans

AJG

After that, who has the athleticism that MB has, especially in height and speed? He is a freak of nature and a mismatch on the field as no CB can cover him. 

You keep mistaking the talent and trying to blend that in with his lack of use by the Steelers. Those are two completely different issues. His first two seasons already showed his talent and what he can do when he is involved in the offense. We aren't basing this off of some preseason or what the guy did in college. We are basing it off of what he did in real NFL games. He has a higher TD catch rate than Brown, Julio, Evans, Dez, ODB....etc.  The guy is a freak and is using improperly = not being used. 

If you can't see Bryant's talent, you are a poor talent evaluator. 

You list 5 WRs then say "After that, who has the athleticism that MB has, especially in height and speed?". How is that not you claiming he's a top 6 talent? I didn't change anything to "fit my narrative". It's all right there in your post above. 

It doesn't really matter. I think he's going to continue to under-perform regardless of his height and speed and catch % and you think he's just one opportunity away from being a top 10 WR in the league. Depending on league settings and size and desperation I don't even think he's worth the roster space at this point. I'm sure he'll have one or two huge games but I don't think it's worth running him out there for 3 points per game just so you can get those 1 or 2 big games.