NBC Sports Edge Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

Just now, yossarian said:

You list 5 WRs then say "After that, who has the athleticism that MB has, especially in height and speed?". How is that not you claiming he's a top 6 talent? I didn't change anything to "fit my narrative". It's all right there in your post above. 

It doesn't really matter. I think he's going to continue to under-perform regardless of his height and speed and catch % and you think he's just one opportunity away from being a top 10 WR in the league. Depending on league settings and size and desperation I don't even think he's worth the roster space at this point. I'm sure he'll have one or two huge games but I don't think it's worth running him out there for 3 points per game just so you can get those 1 or 2 big games. 

See below. 

30 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

6'4"

4.4 speed

18% TD catch rate over his first two seasons.

Career TD catch rate %

Bryant: 16.1%

Antonio Brown: 7.6%

Julio Jones: 7.6%

ODB: 12.1%

Dez: 14.5%

Evans: 11.3%

Bryant is a top 10 WR talent. The Steelers using him properly is a completely different discussion. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, yossarian said:

So you think he's a top 6 talent AND a top 10 talent, i guess?

You are a tool. I never said he was a top 6 talent. I listed who I would argue are the top 5 most talented WRs in the league currently. I then said after that who would you include in the list? I'm not going to list who I think is 6-10, but Bryant is definitely a top 10 talent. 

You want to keep arguing and bickering, go ahead. But you are still wrong. I never said he was a top 6 talent. Show me where I wrote those words out. 

6 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

You are a tool. I never said he was a top 6 talent. I listed who I would argue are the top 5 most talented WRs in the league currently. I then said after that who would you include in the list? I'm not going to list who I think is 6-10, but Bryant is definitely a top 10 talent. 

You want to keep arguing and bickering, go ahead. But you are still wrong. I never said he was a top 6 talent. Show me where I wrote those words out. 

you list 5 guys, then ask rhetorically who after them is more talented than MB. There is almost no other way to read that statement than MB falls just outside the top 5, ie #6. Not my fault you said two different things then get mad because I reference one of your statements. Maybe work a little bit at being more consistent?

Whatever. We are literally arguing about semantics. Have a good night! 

Edited by yossarian
3 minutes ago, yossarian said:

you list 5 guys, then ask rhetorically who after them is more talented than MB. There is almost no other way to read that statement than MB falls just outside the top 5, ie #6. Not my fault you said two different things then get mad because I reference one of your statements. Maybe work a little bit at being more consistent?

Whatever. We are literally arguing about semantics. Have a good night! 

Sorry you are wrong. Show me where I typed he is top 6? I'll show you where I did type he is a top 10 talent. Bye!

2 hours ago, oban14 said:

Great highlight reels.  When did he stop being able to do that?

when these factors kicked in ...

1) stopped getting high (supposedly) 

2) came in 10-15 lbs. more bulked up from those previous seasons

3) Ben is exceedingly average thus far

4) the leftover scraps from Bell/Brown are even more minuscule with JuJubees tossed in

5) the CS has it's collective head up their arse - it's a real debacle in that locker room

He's a good player but he's the kind of guy who will check out of a game mentally if he isn't involved early and often, and with Bell/Brown on the team that really isn't as likely to happen anymore. He will have 1 or 2 big games from here on out but there are two players much better than him on the same offense so I think it's unlikely for things to change much this year.

The KC game was very game-plan specific.  Pittsburgh wanted to run KC out of the building to keep the pass rushers off Big Ben and keep the ball away from Alex Smith and company.  You realize KC did not have a first down until the last, meaningless drive of the first half?  The plan worked, Bell was brilliant.  Brown actually had a pretty bad game--let a free kick drop after a safety so KC could recover, got Ben picked on a play where he stopped running his route, then the long touchdown was a complete fluke.  But when he did pass, Ben seemed locked in on Brown and Smith-Schuster.  As others have said, they should have had 30 and given no chance to KC, but they nearly choked the game away at the end.

I am starting to realize that Pitt is content to control the clock with rushes by Bell, dump offs to Bell, and possession passes to Brown. When Brown is covered quickly throw it to JuJu who is closer to Ben and easier for him to see.  This way they control the clock and keep their defense fresh.  No need for quick long strikes for two reasons: can’t control the clock and Ben can’t throw accurately that far anymore. 

Edited by TennisMenace
4 hours ago, throwinsamoan said:

Anyway, the Steelers will not trade Bryant. When they decide to pull their heads out of their asses, this offense should be putting up over 30ppg every week, no excuses. 

In the meantime I'll just hang on to Bryant hoping he arrives by playoff time. Ditto Devante Parker.

PWWHEcm.gif

13 minutes ago, Edgeraid said:

Hey guys, we have a 6'4, 225 pound WR with 4.4 speed. Let's make sure we don't involve him in the offense in any way, shape or form!

Reminder that body metrics are in no way indicative of actual on the field results

15 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Reminder that body metrics are in no way indicative of actual on the field results

Yep. Tyrell Williams has the got the whole 6’4” 4.4 thing going for him too and nobody is in his thread claiming he has top 10 talent or that he needs to be force fed the ball. And he has actually had a 1000 yard season in his career. Strange how this place acts sometimes...

Edited by MJJ28
3 minutes ago, affliction said:

I have no choice but to start him this week. He either gets peppered with targets or ignored. 80% chance he gets ignored.

16 targets to AB, 27 carries and 8 targets to Bell ... that's 51 offensive opportunities spoken for - leaves roughly 15 more plays?  and ya gotta divvy that up between MB, JuJuBees, the TE, etc ...

11 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Yep. Tyrell Williams has the got the whole 6’4” 4.4 thing going for him too and nobody is in his thread claiming he has top 10 talent or that he needs to be force fed the ball. And he has actually had a 1000 yard season in his career. Strange how this place acts sometimes...

Because this isn't the Tyrell thread.

* Tyrell is a very solid WR and should be more involved in the Chargers offense. But that is a story for another day. But when Tyrell can raise his 9.9% TD rate to Martavis' 16.1% rate then there might be comparison to be made. 

Edited by burninglegs