NBC Sports Edge Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

He complained weeks ago and still received reduced snaps to JuJu. 

This is the early stage of “honey, I want a divorce.”

The outcome is, will Bryant and steelers reconcile to work it out or part ways amicably?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

He's never been a goal line guy for whatever reason.  Deep ball and hitches are the plays he usually breaks.  Just have to keep on the bench until it happens.

Sure he has been.

bf97olQ.gif

b2agxPu.gif

IC2ldoQ.gif

pbgBls8.gif

Maybe we are arguing semantics about "GL" and if we really mean GL. Steelers do have Bell, so I'd probably just run Bell for 4 downs straight as he is bound to get in. But if we extend GL out a little bit to everything within ~5 yards, (he has been used plenty in his first two seasons). If we extend it out to just red zone, there is even more use of him in his previous two seasons.

giphy.gif

URe1doe.gif

giphy.gif

ehKxpO7.gif

mart-0.gif?w=634&h=374

Bryant.gif

2014-11-0912_58_03.gif

^ Big Ben, bring this 'ish back to the offense. Please. Was so much more fun when this offense was playing back yard ball rather than snoozeball. 

Edited by burninglegs

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger said that he spoke with WR Martavis Bryant and he made it clear that he doesn’t want to be traded, despite the recent reports that Bryant requested a trade out of Pittsburgh.

Martavis, I talked to him, he doesn’t want to go anywhere,” Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Sometimes things come from agents because they want what they think is best for the player and don’t realize that it ends up hurting the player. I don’t know exactly what happened here, but I do know that Martavis, there hasn’t been any inklings of unhappiness. It’s unnecessary drama.

43 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Sure he has been.

bf97olQ.gif

b2agxPu.gif

IC2ldoQ.gif

pbgBls8.gif

Maybe we are arguing semantics about "GL" and if we really mean GL. Steelers do have Bell, so I'd probably just run Bell for 4 downs straight as he is bound to get in. But if we extend GL out a little bit to everything within ~5 yards, (he has been used plenty in his first two seasons). If we extend it out to just red zone, there is even more use of him in his previous two seasons.

giphy.gif

URe1doe.gif

giphy.gif

ehKxpO7.gif

mart-0.gif?w=634&h=374

Bryant.gif

2014-11-0912_58_03.gif

^ Big Ben, bring this 'ish back to the offense. Please. Was so much more fun when this offense was playing back yard ball rather than snoozeball. 

LOL I should have been more specific

4 hours ago, Vendetta said:

I'd buy him if you can get him for someone crappy you just plucked off of the waiver wire (Cooper Kupp?!).

I got him for Crowder in a multi-player deal the other day if that provides a measuring stick. You basically are trading crap for crap, but I just want some fresh, new crap in my lineup that provides new hope.

1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger said that he spoke with WR Martavis Bryant and he made it clear that he doesn’t want to be traded, despite the recent reports that Bryant requested a trade out of Pittsburgh.

Martavis, I talked to him, he doesn’t want to go anywhere,” Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Sometimes things come from agents because they want what they think is best for the player and don’t realize that it ends up hurting the player. I don’t know exactly what happened here, but I do know that Martavis, there hasn’t been any inklings of unhappiness. It’s unnecessary drama.

A qb looking out for a teammate, communicating unity, calming the waters. 

That's good leadership.

30 minutes ago, KareemX said:

I got him for Crowder in a multi-player deal the other day if that provides a measuring stick. You basically are trading crap for crap, but I just want some fresh, new crap in my lineup that provides new hope.

Crowder? He hardly ever catches TDs. I think you did well. Bryant's upside (if this offense stops playing like poop and involves Bryant) is much higher than Crowder's. Especially in standard leagues and TD heavy leagues.

Just now, FantasyGOAT said:

Anyone thinks he's forsure getting traded?... even though word on the block is that he's "happy"

Well the deadline is Nov 1 - so we don't have much longer to wait. 

I think the safe bet is "no" there's no way anyone can know for sure.

Everyone is available for a price - but the price for a guy who is done-zo after one more ganja slip-up is going to be artifically depressed.

1 hour ago, HamMach1 said:

Anyone watch any Steelers games? How does Bryant look? 

Ben Roth needs to stop slobbing on only AB's knob and spread the love. This bum throws for 250 yards and 150 of those go to Brown. 

The games I've watched,  MB is always open.  Especially going deep,  Ben is just not connecting.

1 hour ago, HamMach1 said:

Anyone watch any Steelers games? How does Bryant look? 

Ben Roth needs to stop slobbing on only AB's knob and spread the love. This bum throws for 250 yards and 150 of those go to Brown. 

I haven't watched any Steelers games. But since I acquired Bryant this week, I've been reading everything about him this year. Apparently Roethlisberger has overthrown him on 2-3 touchdowns that would have gone for 50+ yards this season. So he's getting open, but the chemistry isn't there. Clean slate for Bryant with me starting this week. Let's go!

I am tempted to start. Big rivalry game, maybe the Steelers aim to pound the Bengals. I have safer options available on the wire to fill in for my bye/injury week but I want to start this dude and for him to just go ham. Big Ben just looks like smashed dookie though. He doesn't give a damn anymore you can see it in his eyes. 

9 hours ago, KareemX said:

I haven't watched any Steelers games. But since I acquired Bryant this week, I've been reading everything about him this year. Apparently Roethlisberger has overthrown him on 2-3 touchdowns that would have gone for 50+ yards this season. So he's getting open, but the chemistry isn't there. Clean slate for Bryant with me starting this week. Let's go!

I acquired him two weeks ago, and that’s how long it took for me to lose hope. Good luck.

The next 3 games will determine Bryant's true value. It really depends more on Ben who has not been throwing as accurately on deep passes as usual. Dynasty I would hold onto for at least this season no matter what; redraft if he doesn't have better results by week 10 I would look elsewhere for the final weeks. 

Edited by CharlieWhitehurst

I admit, I'm completely baffled. I have Cooper as well but I could see his flop possible as when you watch him, there's nothing super special about him.  But Bryant oozes special talent.  Size, speed, he gets up and snatches the ball like Randy Moss.  He plays opposite of Brown and with Bell.  How he's not consistently producing, I can't explain.    

43 minutes ago, Kilo said:

sounds like a lot of coach/qb speak, but hopefully there is some truth here:

Later, Fillipponi noted that Bryant’s touchdown numbers are down — he had 14 in his first 21 games but one this season — and asked how the Steelers could utilize him more near the goal line, where they struggled again in Kansas City.

“When you’re out of the game for such a long time and then you come back, people know that he’s gonna run by people,” Roethlisberger said. “They know he’s fast, right? That’s kind of what surprised everybody early on where he got a lot of his touchdowns, was running by people. Well now, they’re starting to get wise to it. They’re backing away, safeties are going over the top, taking away some of that stuff. Now there are still some plays that we’ve left out there, both he and I, in not connecting this year. Probably I can think of maybe two or three touchdowns that we’ve left on the table.

“But when we get down to the red zone, that’s such a kind of finicky part of the football field. Details and all the little things have to really be amplified. And so when you’ve been out of football for such a long time, you have to build up that understanding again, that detail work, the new plays, the nuances that go with red zone football.

“Like I said, that just comes with repetition. ... We’ve had a couple plays in for him specifically in the red zone that we haven’t even called yet for whatever reason. So we’ve got some plays that I think we’ll be able to get to, hopefully soon.

15 minutes ago, herschel said:

We’ve had a couple plays in for him specifically in the red zone that we haven’t even called yet for whatever reason. So we’ve got some plays that I think we’ll be able to get to, hopefully soon.

Huh. May have dumped too soon then.

52 minutes ago, omnom1337 said:

Huh. May have dumped too soon then.

What a bunch of coach speak. They have redzone plays designed for him but somehow they don't know why they don't use them? Pure BS. Youre the coach u know exactly why u didnt use those plays. And then to add HOPEFULLY they will get to use them, what the heck does that mean 'hopefully". Play calling is a data driven process of choosing the optimal solution based on specific conditions, not hope. 

Edited by dashoe

I will never drop him.  Ever.  He will either carry me to the promised land or drag me under until water fills my lungs and I die a slow death. 

Team-MB's-Potential for LIFE.