NBC Sports Edge Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

7 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

I will never drop him.  Ever.  He will either carry me to the promised land or drag me under until water fills my lungs and I die a slow death. 

Team-MB's-Potential for LIFE.

Exactly. He is going to revert to the mean (positive regression from here). He is too talented of a player to continue putting up the points that he has. No way I would drop him.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing. Yes he had a year away from football. But that wasn't due to injury. He is in the best shape of his life. Put on muscle. Same size and speed mismatch that he was his first two years. People doubting him just don't realize how talented he is and what he can offer. Go back to the previous page and look at the bunch of gifs I posted. You can see his talent and ability. He still has that. Steelers are just fumbling around on offense. MB is the type of guy you want going from here to the end of the season. Because if the offense and Big Ben finally figure out that they have MB on the field, he could be a huge boost to your lineup down the line. Most of the other WRs on WW that are left aren't even close in terms of the ceiling that MB offers. In terms of yards and TDs. I consider the first part of this season just bad luck with the offense looking mediocre. If they turn things around and start putting up +30 points a game, it will be because they have started getting MB involved. Otherwise Steelers will just continue to look average on offense and keep playing close games when they should be blowing out their opponent. 

Just speculating, but with Aaron Rodgers hurt and the Vikings entire offense injured (Bradford, Diggs, Cook), the Bears are still in the division race at 2-4. I'd assume it will take a 3rd round pick to get Bryant from Pittsburgh. But if the Bears can somehow upset Carolina this week and reach 3-4, its not out of the question. Trubisky has no weapons at all. Acquiring Bryant would show they are committed to both Trubisky and winning. Now they'll probably also request some sort of character provisions too, like a team assistant who follows him around all the time since his next drug test fail equals a year long suspension. Regardless, if he can have one of those signature 4/130/1 games this weekend, all the speculation can and will stop.

4 hours ago, burninglegs said:

"... I consider the first part of this season just bad luck with the offense looking mediocre. If they turn things around and start putting up +30 points a game, it will be because they have started getting MB involved."

I want to say it was several weeks ago that Akbar on the NFL Network said Bryant is often open, they just don't go to him. The concern back in the offseason was never about his skill set, system fit or any of that. Part of it was whether they had decided to move on from him. For the reasons mentioned he's a hold for me as well. If they involve him he's going to go off. He's complained & reportedly asked to be traded, so hopefully they let the guy factor.     

This Sunday will be an interesting game to monitor. I really doubt the trade request was a fabrication. I bet they showcase Bryant a bit and try to squeeze a little extra value out of him from another team. 10+ targets coming up + a running play or two. Maybe next week as well, then deal him at their bye week.

Martavis Bryant let the team down last year and created bad blood with Ben.  That rift never healed and the chemistry never returned.

My prediction:

Martavis Bryant won’t be traded (he’s to talented), instead he will be put on the back-burner this year.  Next year, Ben and the problem will be gone.

If Ben ever starts playing well (this year), it looks like JuJu will be the guy to own. Regardless if he’s the 3rd most talented WR on the team.

Personally, I’m not buying either yet.  I’m wondering if Heath Millers retirement, and the loss of his leadership, messed up Ben beyond repair.

10 hours ago, dashoe said:

What a bunch of coach speak. They have redzone plays designed for him but somehow they don't know why they don't use them? Pure BS. Youre the coach u know exactly why u didnt use those plays. 

The quote is from Roethlisberger.  He's criticizing Haley.  He doesn't like Haley and never has.

I'm not buying it either, whatever the specific issue is, we're not likely to know. But Roethlisberger has the playbook at his disposal, if Bryant to the corner or a post up is there, that's at his discretion. Diverting responsibility to the OC is BS. That one he forced to AB,  I don't know. To hope that the CB has zero ball skills & the collapsing FS overruns it and then they both end up on the ground... If opposing defenses don't have to account for the WR who most closely resembles a primary, how does that work? 

Cooper's game tonight should be an example of not over exaggerating when players have a slow start to the season/ don't meet expectations right away. Especially talented players. If it is a scrub who just had a role change/increase in opportunity but just isn't very good, that is a different situation. Bryant's numbers will start having positive regression.

6 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Cooper's game tonight should be an example of not over exaggerating when players have a slow start to the season/ don't meet expectations right away. Especially talented players. If it is a scrub who just had a role change/increase in opportunity but just isn't very good, that is a different situation. Bryant's numbers will start having positive regression.

Kinda makes one wonder how the Steelers couldn't better exploit that matchup with a talent like MB.

17 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Let's hope because I left Coop on the bench for MB. Ha.

On 10/19/2017 at 12:39 AM, seanismorris said:

Martavis Bryant let the team down last year and created bad blood with Ben.  That rift never healed and the chemistry never returned.

My prediction:

Martavis Bryant won’t be traded (he’s to talented), instead he will be put on the back-burner this year.  Next year, Ben and the problem will be gone.

If Ben ever starts playing well (this year), it looks like JuJu will be the guy to own. Regardless if he’s the 3rd most talented WR on the team.

Personally, I’m not buying either yet.  I’m wondering if Heath Millers retirement, and the loss of his leadership, messed up Ben beyond repair.

Pretty solid statement. I've been keeping my eye on Juju too with his snap count/Bryant situation. I know Ben's been struggling but I'd say he turns things around.

Anything can still happen tho. Idk how Ben's arm is looking like (if anyone can enlighten me) but that was what made Bryant such a threat. But if he can't throw it downfield, Bryant's still a 6'4 red zone threat 

3 hours ago, 2016FantasyChamp said:

Pretty solid statement. I've been keeping my eye on Juju too with his snap count/Bryant situation. I know Ben's been struggling but I'd say he turns things around.

Anything can still happen tho. Idk how Ben's arm is looking like (if anyone can enlighten me) but that was what made Bryant such a threat. But if he can't throw it downfield, Bryant's still a 6'4 red zone threat 

I think it's more about the looks and Bryant's separation as opposed to Ben's arm. Both Bryant and Ben must step up; Bryant has been complaining----if he doesn't get targets this week, and produce, he's best left on the bench moving forward.

I now fully expect Martavis to pull an Amari and go 11/210/2 on 19 targets for us this weekend.  Precedent of a surprising missing persons WR thus far in 2017 blowing up in a totally unexpected way has been set.  Amari on Thursday, Martavis on Sunday...?  It's fate.

There is no way AB is going to allow Bryant to have a good game...he runs the team right now

this good or bad for MB?

Bengals RCB Adam Jones (back) is listed as doubtful for Week 7.

It's good news for Antonio Brown, as Jones has had A.B.'s number to a greater extent than any cornerback in football over the past two seasons.
6 hours ago, wayzupusc said:

I now fully expect Martavis to pull an Amari and go 11/210/2 on 19 targets for us this weekend.  Precedent of a surprising missing persons WR thus far in 2017 blowing up in a totally unexpected way has been set.  Amari on Thursday, Martavis on Sunday...?  It's fate.

nope.

15 minutes ago, herschel said:

this good or bad for MB?

Bengals RCB Adam Jones (back) is listed as doubtful for Week 7.

It's good news for Antonio Brown, as Jones has had A.B.'s number to a greater extent than any cornerback in football over the past two seasons.

Eh, who knows.  I don't think one lock down corner is going to stop Ben from throwing to Brown.  

This could help in that Cincy might give safety help to cover Brown a lot of the game, opening up Bryant.

Or it could hurt if Cincy just plays their base defense cuz that means Brown is open more often.

I don't watch enough Cincy game tape to say.

19 hours ago, burninglegs said:

Cooper and the Raiders were what I was expecting Martavis and the Steelers to do to Kansas City.  Antonio is going to produce no matter what, the big plays that Cooper had I was expecting Martavis to have.  Cooper left about 85 yards on the field too.  Kansas City's pass D is not good without Berry.

I refuse to drop him, but tough to actually play him.  There's always Week 15 v. the Patriots ....