Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook


Winky
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I see a scenario that ends well for Martavis Bryant's fantasy season here.  I think he's done in Pittsburgh.  Tomlin is the hardo of all hardo's, and will take this personally and react like Joaquin Phoenix's character in Gladiator. 

 

So Bryant will either:

1) Be suspended for conduct detrimental to the team

2) Be inactive moving forward

3) Be Cut

4) Be Traded

 

Assuming he is traded or cut, the only teams that stand to make any kind of sense would be the following:

Buffalo

Chicago

Carolina

 

These are teams that are still technically in contention, Giants and San Fran are a combined 1-13, I don't see them taking on Martarvis for 2018.  Carolina would be the best scenario.  Chicago threw 7 freakin passes yesterday and that would be a death sentence.  Buffalo wouldn't be a terrible spot, but I don't see the Steelers trading to a contender in the AFC, so he'd have to be cut for this example.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I definitely smell an inactive coming up.  They'd rather teach him a lesson than trade him.

 

Great point about the rumors to Rappoport.  Clearly coming from someone in the coaching room or else why would Rappoport trust that source?  They're just being plain mean to him now.  Sad to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Not sure I see a scenario that ends well for Martavis Bryant's fantasy season here.  I think he's done in Pittsburgh.  Tomlin is the hardo of all hardo's, and will take this personally and react like Joaquin Phoenix's character in Gladiator. 

 

So Bryant will either:

1) Be suspended for conduct detrimental to the team

2) Be inactive moving forward

3) Be Cut

4) Be Traded

 

Assuming he is traded or cut, the only teams that stand to make any kind of sense would be the following:

Buffalo

Chicago

Carolina

 

These are teams that are still technically in contention, Giants and San Fran are a combined 1-13, I don't see them taking on Martarvis for 2018.  Carolina would be the best scenario.  Chicago threw 7 freakin passes yesterday and that would be a death sentence.  Buffalo wouldn't be a terrible spot, but I don't see the Steelers trading to a contender in the AFC, so he'd have to be cut for this example.

 

Dallas from a needs standpoint makes total sense, i hope they dont. This dude is more trouble than he is worth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steelers are not going to do anything with him midseason unless someone is willing to pay up for him before the trade deadline. The organization is very methodical about signing and trading players. They never bend to players pr campaigns or public sentiment. 

Social media is not going to save Martavis only his  practice and game day efforts will.

First step is to take your QB out to dinner and tell him you understand your role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

 

Depth, and to show other players that pouting your way to a trade doesnt work. 

 

Pouting seems to work for AB. Guess Bryant is just following the foot steps of pouting set by one of the locker room leaders + expert in social media shenanigans by filming and posting HC locker room rant to social media. Seems like Bryant is just acting like the rest of the locker room has been acting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Also, his two targets yesterday did not look very good on him.  Whether it was designed that way or not, he looked slow on the slant in the red zone.  He appears to have lost track of the deep ball that was coming his way, and Ben looked frustrated with him.

 

So maybe the Steelers did plan to heavily utilize Bryant yesterday, but when he failed to execute on the first few chances, Big Ben got discouraged and started throwing elsewhere.  I like the fact that Bryant got a deep pass his way, didn't know that without watching the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Not sure I see a scenario that ends well for Martavis Bryant's fantasy season here

 

I agree. Even if he's traded before the deadline a lot has to go right for him to be fantasy relevant this year. The only reason he'll stay on my team is I have him cheap in a keeper league but I think even in keeper and dynasty his value is tanking pretty bad. I don't think this guy has it all upstairs which is going to have serious negative effects on his career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, burninglegs said:

 

Pouting seems to work for AB. Guess Bryant is just following the foot steps of pouting set by one of the locker room leaders + expert in social media shenanigans by filming and posting HC locker room rant to social media. Seems like Bryant is just acting like the rest of the locker room has been acting. 

 

Yup.  It works for great players.  Another thing their coaching staff could be leveraging this situation for is showing players that they all can't act like AB. 

 

As a fantasy player Id love them to trade Martavis, but realistically I don't think other teams will be that interested. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just unfathomable how a guy with so much talent and track record, in his physical prime, is going to be benched or completely underused this year.  It's not like this is a TO or Ochocinco washed up at the end of his career.  There are so many teams starving for playmakers, the Steelers held onto this guy through his suspension, and now you're just leaving the Ferrari in the garage?  Unbelievable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

So maybe the Steelers did plan to heavily utilize Bryant yesterday, but when he failed to execute on the first few chances, Big Ben got discouraged and started throwing elsewhere.  I like the fact that Bryant got a deep pass his way, didn't know that without watching the game.

 

I don't think so. Early in the game JuJu had 12 snaps compared to Bryant only having 4. Whoever leaked that to Rapoport did it to troll Bryant and us fantasy owners. From the beginning they had no intention of using Bryant any more than they had previously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Just unfathomable how a guy with so much talent and track record, in his physical prime, is going to be benched or completely underused this year.  It's not like this is a TO or Ochocinco washed up at the end of his career.  There are so many teams starving for playmakers, the Steelers held onto this guy through his suspension, and now you're just leaving the Ferrari in the garage?  Unbelievable.

 

The steelers are stacked offensively, he is simply a talented cog in a machine of talent. Also it's difficult for many teams to support more than 2 fantasy studs weekly, The Steelers are one of the few that can but Martavis is not connecting with Ben

Edited by dashoe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Just unfathomable how a guy with so much talent and track record, in his physical prime, is going to be benched or completely underused this year.  It's not like this is a TO or Ochocinco washed up at the end of his career.  There are so many teams starving for playmakers, the Steelers held onto this guy through his suspension, and now you're just leaving the Ferrari in the garage?  Unbelievable.

 

The Ferrari is only fun if Ben can handle driving it.  I think he's at the Prius stage of his career now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Just unfathomable how a guy with so much talent and track record, in his physical prime, is going to be benched or completely underused this year.  It's not like this is a TO or Ochocinco washed up at the end of his career.  There are so many teams starving for playmakers, the Steelers held onto this guy through his suspension, and now you're just leaving the Ferrari in the garage?  Unbelievable.

 

Ben is probably done after this season. 

Bell, is probably gone to another team after this season in search of $$$. 

 

This offense will be left with Brown + DHB + JuJube + Connor + Landry Jones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They should be using him way more. Ben gives him his "one play of the week!"- the long throw that he never connects with because he throws it too far, every single time.

Love the Steelers, but they are clearly winning because of their defense this year. They are incredibly lucky for how well their defense is playing or people would be asking for Haley's head. When 90% of your plays revolve around 2 players, it doesn't take much for that scheme to fall apart. Bengal's DST is a great squad, but you can't convert 3rd and 1's with two of the best playmakers in the league? It's obvious teams know their schemes now. Bryant has been in single coverage and is a tall, quick, athletic STUD and they don't use him at all. they rather go 3rd and 1 with their 3rd string RB. It makes absolutely no sense and I don't blame Martavis for getting frustrated. He had 2 targets yesterday. That's pathetic. 

AB is an unbelievable playmaker, and so is Bell that goes without saying. But the under utilization is ridiculous. He could be a franchise WR on 50% of the other teams in the league right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Trade to the Giants! 

 

2018 Odell Bryant Shepard Engram ... please?

 

With who throwing the ball? Geno Smith? Fitzpatrick? Osweiler? Eli is not looking like he needs WR help----he's looking like he needs weapons-grade implants.

 

giphy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

 

Yup.  It works for great players.  Another thing their coaching staff could be leveraging this situation for is showing players that they all can't act like AB. 

As a fantasy player Id love them to trade Martavis, but realistically I don't think other teams will be that interested. 

realistically, I agree, because NFL GMs seem super conservative about trading. 

but man... if I'm the Bears, Redskins, Bills, Cowboys, Giants, or Rams GM, I'd be taking a good strong look at Martavis.

Or-- my personal favorites: the Bengals (:0) and RAIDERS.

 

How awesome would he be on the Raiders? Cooper/Crabtree as the homeless man's Moss/Carter... and then you throw in talent like Bryant to be the WR3?? He even feels like a Raider. Make it happen Football Gods! 

 

also, how often can a guy this talented be had (hypothetically) for pennies? 

 

20 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Just unfathomable how a guy with so much talent and track record, in his physical prime, is going to be benched or completely underused this year.  It's not like this is a TO or Ochocinco washed up at the end of his career.  There are so many teams starving for playmakers, the Steelers held onto this guy through his suspension, and now you're just leaving the Ferrari in the garage?  Unbelievable.

 

I took him in round 5, one pick before Doug Martin. Thought I had one of the picks of the draft. Ughh. His pre-suspension game logs aren't quite as stellar as I remembered, but he is still oozing with talent... dude is like Desean Jackson mixed with Plaxico Burress. 

 

36 minutes ago, dashoe said:

First step is to take your QB out to dinner and tell him you understand your role.

 

200w.webp#3-grid1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

 

Depth, and to show other players that pouting your way to a trade doesnt work

So they take a hard line with Martavis but let Antonio do whatever he wants and he gets rewarded with even more targets?  I don't disagree with what you're saying, I just don't think the Steelers are handling the situation as best they could and again, like I said, neither side is looking good.  Just agree to a mutual parting of ways and release or trade him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...