NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

Winky

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

Maybe, just maybe, you all vastly overestimated this guys talent and the time away from the team has been detrimental to his development as an NFL wide receiver.

10000000% this. He has always been pretty inconsistent with questionable hands. I sense a little Josh Gordon to his game. And not in the good way.

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Maybe, just maybe, you all vastly overestimated this guys talent and the time away from the team has been detrimental to his development as an NFL wide receiver.

He'll probably go down as yet another supremely gifted football player that could never put it together. I dunno what the issue is because I'm viewing the situation from 40,000 feet but I'm sure a 15 minute conversation with a coach would make it all crystal clear. Something is up, either he's a moron and screws up plays/audibles, sucks at route running, just generally pisses off Ben/coaches, I don't know what it is but a guy with his skills doesn't faceplant this badly unless something isn't right. It's not like the Steelers don't want to utilize someone who could help them win games.

Completely disagree with you guys.

We haven't seen jack s--- this year in terms of opportunity to say if he's "talented" or not.  The role he's asked to play is a joke.  It's like grading a running back based on 5 carries per game.  Until you give him meaningful volume you can't say if he's talented or not.

Last time we saw him, he tore it up.  He is in better physical condition now.  I've seen maybe 2 drops all year.

31 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

So they take a hard line with Martavis but let Antonio do whatever he wants and he gets rewarded with even more targets?  I don't disagree with what you're saying, I just don't think the Steelers are handling the situation as best they could and again, like I said, neither side is looking good.  Just agree to a mutual parting of ways and release or trade him.

Antonio is a primary playmaker and face of the franchise as well as being the top wr in the league. So like in any system or job u cut your stars or the guys on top of the food chain more slack than the rest. 

Edited by dashoe

16 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

The few games I have watched, it's not talent it's connection with Big Ben, it's not there

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

As a fantasy player Id love them to trade Martavis, but realistically I don't think other teams will be that interested. 

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

realistically, I agree, because NFL GMs seem super conservative about trading. 

but man... if I'm the Bears, Redskins, Bills, Cowboys, Giants, or Rams GM, I'd be taking a good strong look at Martavis.

Or-- my personal favorites: the Bengals (:0) and RAIDERS.

How awesome would he be on the Raiders? Cooper/Crabtree as the homeless man's Moss/Carter... and then you throw in talent like Bryant to be the WR3?? He even feels like a Raider. Make it happen Football Gods! 

also, how often can a guy this talented be had (hypothetically) for pennies?

Right, but it's not super conservative to look at him as dangerous to trade for as a GM.

He's already been suspended a year for substance abuse.  One slip up and he's gone again.

Martavis is on instagram talking about how he wants a trade and he's better than one of his teammates.

If he is so damn good, why is he losing snaps to JuJu in the first place?  Why doesn't he go prove it instead of pouting about it?

Martavius is one of the riskiest players on the market.  

GMs have a job to protect. 

1 hour ago, Br0kenB said:

10000000% this. He has always been pretty inconsistent with questionable hands. I sense a little Josh Gordon to his game. And not in the good way.

Nothing even remotely close to Josh Gordon talent wise or game wise.... Other than that they're both knuckle heads

Edited by NyCro

16 minutes ago, NyCro said:

Nothing even remotely close to Josh Gordon talent wise or game wise.... Other than that they're both knuckle heads

Which is why I said "not in the good way." More in a sense of being far removed from success and simply not really having it anymore.

14 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Right, but it's not super conservative to look at him as dangerous to trade for as a GM.

He's already been suspended a year for substance abuse.  One slip up and he's gone again.

Martavis is on instagram talking about how he wants a trade and he's better than one of his teammates.

If he is so damn good, why is he losing snaps to JuJu in the first place?  Why doesn't he go prove it instead of pouting about it?

Martavius is one of the riskiest players on the market.  

GMs have a job to protect. 

Suspension risk is granted, but he's also dirt cheap so the downside isn't that bad.

Social media distraction granted, but Beckham and Brown have proven that doesn't really matter if you're good enough.

Why's he losing snaps to Juju?  Coaching staff clearly is trying to send him a message -- who else would leak gameplan details to Rappoport but someone in the know?

Martavis is risky, to a degree.  He also offers tremendous upside and would cost little to nothing to acquire.  There has to be some kind of market value for him.  His value to the Steelers is zero.  As a Lions fan with Tate out for some time, I'm hoping my GM floats an offer to Pittsburgh -- that's ignoring my fantasy shares.

GMs have a job to protect.  The best way to protect it is to win games.  Would Martavis help the Bears win games?  I think so.

martavis agent should tell him to stay off social media and keep quiet. There is enough film on his route running, playmaking and on field effort for teams looking for a new wr to evaluate. The public noise he is making combined with the drug violation only creates doubt as to his character particularly in a league where coaches and managers view talent as a commodity and will use perception of character as a metric for team fit.

if u are viewed as a person that doesnt buy into the organizations philosophy of how to win you will be isolated regardless of talent