NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

Winky

From CBS:

LANDING SPOTS FOR MARTAVIS BRYANT

Bills

Sure, it's unlikely the Steelers trade Bryant to a 4-2 team in the conference. It's unlikely they trade him at all. But how much fun could this be? Remember what Tyrod Taylor used to do with Sammy Watkins? This team has a severe need at wide receiver (Deonte Thompson led the Bills in receiving in Week 7) and a quarterback who would benefit greatly from Bryant's arrival. It's a dream matchup that would vault Taylor into the top-12 quarterbacks and make Bryant must-own again. 

Seahawks

I like Paul Richardson and Tyler Lockett as much as the next guy. Maybe even more than the next guy. But Bryant would be a perfect fit next to Doug Baldwin and Jimmy Graham. He could stretch the defense and would give the Seattle Seahawks a much-needed red-zone threat. This team needs to sell out to a pass-heavy, fast-paced approach. Bryant's addition would make that much easier.

Lions

Bryant couldn't replace Golden Tate in the slot, but he could certainly help Matthew Stafford. The Detroit Lions could be without Tate for a few more weeks, and even once Tate returns he could be a deep threat that this offense needs. You do run into the possibility that a month from now he's complaining about targets again, but that's always going to be a risk if he doesn't play well.

Cowboys

I know this is crazy, but the Dallas Cowboys are at 3-3, and I don't really think their defense is getting better. So why not make them the best offense in the league? This would take some of the pressure off Dez Bryant, who has only caught 28 of his 58 targets this season. It also provides some firepower for the offense in case the team eventually loses Ezekiel Elliott to suspension. Jerry Jones has never been one to shy away from reclamation projects.

Giants

You probably expected the New York Giants to be higher on this list. The opportunity is certainly there with Odell Beckham and Brandon Marshall lost for the season, but this one just doesn't feel right to me. Eli Manning already has a solid rapport with Sterling Shepard and he's quickly developing the same with Evan Engram. Besides, I'm not sure offensive line can block long enough for Bryant to get open. This could be a great place for Bryant's value, but it also feels the riskiest of the five I've mentioned.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retracting what I said before and dropping this guy. Still believe in the talent, but this is one of the worst situations I’ve seen for seeing it come to fruition on the field.

I mean, MB got 2 measly targets the entire game? One of them a 5 yard pass. The usage and role, given his skill set, just doesn’t make any sense to me.

The social media crap is a really bad look, and just adding more insult to injury. The team and organization rendering him into a silly decoy and barely even using him on the field is not Martavis’ fault. I highly doubt that was the “game plan” before the season by design, or that the team communicated that to him.

Like JJ1223 was saying, and I’m in complete agreement, this is a really bad look for both the team and the player. I don’t see any silver lining, whatsoever, for the rest of the season. Even if he’s traded, I   don’t envision instant production or MB quickly picking up a playbook.

I made a bad pick, it’s time to move on. Sometimes it’s just as simple as admitting that to yourself. It sucks, but that’s the way that the ball bounces. Can’t hit on all of them.

Good luck, gang.

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Even though they haven't thrown it to him much, having Bryant on the field forces opposing D coordinators to have to account for Bryant.  This opens things up for Bell, Brown, and JuJu-Bee.  As stated earlier, it's been a winning formula.  The Steelers will likely continue with it unless opponents adjust.

In other words, this would all be less of an issue if Bryant were still reeling in touchdowns every five catches. He’s not. He’s playing just barely half the Steelers’ offensive snaps. He’s getting subbed out for Smith-Schuster, Eli Rogers and, at one point against Cincinnati, Darrius Heyward-Bey. He’s doing … whatever he did the only time Roethlisberger targeted him on a deep ball.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/23/martavis-bryant-instagram-juju-smith-schuster-steelers-trade-rumors/stories/201710230127

From CBS (Cock Broadcasting System):

LANDING SPOTS FOR MARTAVIS BRYANT

1. Bills

Sure, it's unlikely the Steelers trade Bryant to a 4-2 team in the conference. It's unlikely they trade him at all since nobody wants him. But how much fun could this be for our fantasy teams?  Remember what Tyrod Taylor used to do with Sammy Watkins on the bench or IR?  He could do the same with Martavis on the bench or suspended.  

2. Sarchione Auto Group in Randolph, Ohio

With Josh Gordon likely to resume a NFL or CFL career soon, Sarchione Auto Group will be without a charismatic weed loving salesman who plays football every couple of years.  Martavis fits the bill, and is likely close to relapse.

3. Lions

Lets bring in a disgruntled drug addict to mentor Kenny Golladay  and take snaps away from him.  It's bad for the lions, but great for clickbait articles!

4. Cowboys

I know this is crazy, but JERRAH!

5. Giants

Hey you are 1-6 and going nowhere, why not trade some draft capital for a vet WR?  If all goes well, maybe you'll move down a few spots in the draft.  If it goes poorly you'll look like a moron.  Oh wait, you'll look like a moron either way.  Sound good?

Edited by Iron-cock

23 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Swap Larry Fitzgerald for Martavis. Gives Cardinals a young WR to rebuild the team/offense with. Gives Steelers a piece for a win now push. Gives Fitzgerald one last chance at the playoffs. 

This is a GREAT idea!  Trade ideas are usually dumb, bu not this one.

36 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Even though they haven't thrown it to him much, having Bryant on the field forces opposing D coordinators to have to account for Bryant.  This opens things up for Bell, Brown, and JuJu-Bee.  As stated earlier, it's been a winning formula.

LOL, what is this garbage?  Opening up what?  Nothing has opened up. Brown's numbers aren't better.  Roethlisberger's numbers aren't better.   They're 17th in points per game.   They should be breaking Peyton Manning's records.  They should be like the Patriots with Randy Moss.  They scored 21 against the Browns, 17 against the Bears.  This team is massively underachieving.

The lack of urgency from the front office is stunning.  This has nothing to do with Bryant.  If you pretend his talent doesn't exist, they're still underachieving.

17 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

LOL, what is this garbage?  Opening up what?  Nothing has opened up. Brown's numbers aren't better.  Roethlisberger's numbers aren't better.   They're 17th in points per game.   They should be breaking Peyton Manning's records.  They should be like the Patriots with Randy Moss.  They scored 21 against the Browns, 17 against the Bears.  This team is massively underachieving.

The lack of urgency from the front office is stunning.  This has nothing to do with Bryant.  If you pretend his talent doesn't exist, they're still underachieving.

1 hour ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Only a team that is a contender to win a superbowl and could use bryant short term will take him, aka dallas. 

Jerry Jones is just crazy enough to take on Martavis too. Dak + Zeke + Dez + Martavis would probably be one of the best starting 4 offensive weapons in the league assuming all were healthy. Would be scary good. 

2 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Hm, I never even thought of the Bears. Makes perfect sense. 

Sure, but if he goes to the bears, his fantasy value is all but dead.  Trubisky had only 7 attemtps lthis week, 16 attempts the week before.  Aside from the RB's, the bears are a fantasy wasteland for QB's and WRs. 

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Let’s trade away a lifetime Cardinal on the cusp of his retirement, good plan

Fitzgerald is my favorite NFL player ever so I hope not.  I'm not arguing against you that would be a trade the Cardinals make, I'm just saying his career is as good as over at this point

Edited by Novaray

Why would the Steelers want to keep this guy? Throwing a teammates under the bus is only done by locker room cancers.  I know they don't want anyone else getting him, but should you really just freeze this guy out so he can whine on social media more? They have to shop this guy and see what they can get.