NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

Winky

4 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Route running and blocking are skills, not talent. They can be learned and adjusted. Hands are average at best, I agree. 

Knowing routes is a skill.. making the sharp cuts and being great it requires some talent.

He's been the league long enough that if he's not good at it.. he's likely never going to be good at. Be it he's not a quick learner, unreceptive, or simply can't make the cuts. Selling a route is more than just knowing what it is. It requires nuances that sometimes not teachable.

Edited by Slatykamora

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

He will not be traded to an AFC contender.

He blows AB. That's it. He's 20, they like his attitude, and they think he's cute like a little brother. Comparing him to Hines Ward, at this point, is moronic and wishful thinking.  Maybe he'll turn out okay, but they try to "feature" him to the detriment of their on field performance.

He's a suck up, that's all. But he is good for 3 catches and 40 yards a game and will get tds in games they're already dominating. Those games will be fewer and fewer as injuries and defensive adjustments pile up.

Clearly you are a salty Martavis owner. The kid is a rookie playing well and he's just a jag? Martavis has some special tools but at least JUJU catches the damn ball when its thrown to him.

2 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

He will not be traded to an AFC contender.

Why not? If Pittsburgh thought he was good they would use him. They would probably prefer him starting for another team at this point as it’s clear he’s a selfish team cancer with an over-inflated ego. Pittsburgh would probably love to see him crater an AFC contender’s lineup just like how we would all love to see him in our opponent’s fantasy lineups rather than our own.

Just now, MJJ28 said:

Why not? If Pittsburgh thought he was good they would use him. They would probably prefer him starting for another team at this point as it’s clear he’s a selfish team cancer with an over-inflated ego. Pittsburgh would probably love to see him crater an AFC contender’s lineup just like how we would all love to see him in our opponent’s fantasy lineups rather than our own.

Probably for the same reason we don't want to see MB blow up in an opponent's week 15 playoff matchup against us.

5 minutes ago, omnom1337 said:

Probably for the same reason we don't want to see MB blow up in an opponent's week 15 playoff matchup against us.

So Pittsburgh thinks they have a guy who could “blow up,” but refuse to gameplan for him and appear to be replacing him/moving him down the depth charts. Makes sense.

And I’d be thrilled to face a fantasy opponent in week 15 who’s forced to start Martavis.

Edited by MJJ28

1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

Knowing routes is a skill.. making the sharp cuts and being great it requires some talent. Because selling a route is more than just knowing what it is. It requires nuances that sometimes not teachable.

He's been the league long enough that if he's not good at it.. he's likely never going to be good at. Be it he's not a quick learner, unreceptive, or simply can't make the cuts.

And you base this opinion on what?

2 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

Clearly you are a salty Martavis owner. The kid is a rookie playing well and he's just a jag? Martavis has some special tools but at least JUJU catches the damn ball when its thrown to him.

Yes, I am a salty Martavis owner. You're right, Juju is great at catching 5-10 yard dumpoffs twice a game when Ben decides AB will forgive him for not throwing into triple coverage again.

5 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Pittsburgh will shoot itself in the foot to prove a point. Ben can't get Martavis the ball, Haley can't design an offense, and they've been very lucky. They're averaging like 1.5 tds per game. Not gonna cut it.

20 minutes ago, grimsfield said:

no. thats probably one of the worst spots for him.

run heavy offense that already has corey davis, rishard, delanie, decker and taywan sucking up targets. I don't know I can think of a worse team for him to go to.

15 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Absolutely not.  Already a run first team with 3 slightly above average WR and a stud TE.  And their QB runs.

Rishard and Decker aren't good. Delanie and Davis are solid options, well hopefully Davis is if he gets healthy. Seems like the perfect deep-threat add to open the running game and give Delanie and Davis space to work. Lol I've never heard of this Taywan character, is he even a real person? Seems like TEN has no real pass catcher outside of Walker at the current time with Davis injured.

Just now, Dark Kn19ht said:

Rishard and Decker aren't good. Delanie and Davis are solid options, well hopefully Davis is if he gets healthy. Seems like the perfect deep-threat add to open the running game and give Delanie and Davis space to work. Lol I've never heard of this Taywan character, is he even a real person? Seems like TEN has no real pass catcher outside of Walker at the current time with Davis injured.

Division leader Pittsburgh is going to trade a dynamic talent to fill a weakness of division leading Tennessee, a possible, maybe probable, playoff opponent? 

Come on.

Just because a team has a need doesn't automatically mean the Steelers will help them with it. That makes no sense.

Less than 50% MB gets traded, less than 30% he goes to an AFC team, almost 0% he goes to an AFC contender (TN, JAX, BUF, DEN, BAL, NE, MIA, maybe even NYJ).

Speculation on possible trades to those teams is a waste of time, because they're nearly impossible.

6 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I don’t see a trade happening but sending him to Cleveland would be poetic justice at this point

That's like being banished to live your last days in the Cursed Earth. The face he makes at 0:38 is the same face Bryant would make after learning to that trade.. LMAO.

Edited by nonstopfan

18 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

You're confusing real life football with fantasy football.

Just now, Dark Kn19ht said:

@SadFaceHappy, I wasn't arguing the conference reasons, which is why I didn't comment on it. I was arguing the talent level on TEN and that MB would be a fit for them. Thats all. 

Exactly - it's a moot point.

I specifically responded to lack of argument for conference reasons, because it's a significant factor. Ignoring it, you might as well ask how Martavis would fit on the 85 Bears or Golden State Warriors.

Now, if you're talking about a player like MB, look to Davis.

Browns from a fantasy perspective could be an upgrade for Martavis compared to his current situation on the Steelers. 

A Browns team where Duke Johnson is their leading target and Ricardo Louis is #2 behind him by 4 targets. 

A Browns team that will have negative game scripts by playing from behind. 

A Browns team that is averaging 40 passes a game vs. Steelers averaging 35 a game. 

A Browns team in search for a #1 WR on the team. 

Browns situation can't be any worse from a fantasy perspective and should at least get him more targets and use than the trash Steelers have been providing him with.

1 minute ago, JJ1223 said:

You're confusing real life football with fantasy football.

Am I? Can you tell me how I'm wrong? I'll give my reasons again. I've literally never heard of Taywan, Rishard is below average talent-wise. Decker is not good anymore. Davis hasn't proven anything. I'm not sure any of that has anything to do with fantasy. Are you telling me they've been successful at passing this season? Yeah they are a run first team, I understand that. But this group aint that great and MB could easily be an upgrade for them. 

2 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Browns from a fantasy perspective could be an upgrade for Martavis compared to his current situation on the Steelers. 

A Browns team where Duke Johnson is their leading target and Ricardo Louis is #2 behind him by 4 targets. 

A Browns team that will have negative game scripts by playing from behind. 

A Browns team that is averaging 40 passes a game vs. Steelers averaging 35 a game. 

A Browns team in search for a #1 WR on the team. 

Browns situation can't be any worse from a fantasy perspective and should at least get him more targets and use than the trash Steelers have been providing him with.

Good point. Hell, Pryor got a 8 mill contract producing under those same scenarios. Enough to "feed his family".

30 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Incorrect.

I know we've thrown out possible landing spots like the giants and browns, but these aren't teams that are actually competing. They're not going to be buyers. 

So which competing team are WR-needy?

Right now, outside of cleveland and new york, I really don't think there are any ideal landing spots.  But here's a few teams that I think might be looking for a WR:

Jaguars (having lost AR15)

chiefs (with conley on IR)

Ravens (with maclin and wallace banged up)

And to the guy who keeps touting Tennessee, thats a nightmare scenario for martavis, regardless of if you realize it or not.

Edited by grimsfield

1 minute ago, grimsfield said:

I know we've thrown out possible landing spots like the giants and browns, but these aren't teams that are actually competing. They're not going to be buyers. 

Right now, outside of cleveland and new york, I really don't think there are any ideal landing spots.  But here's a few teams that I think might be looking for a WR:

And to the guy who keeps touting Tennessee, thats a nightmare scenario for martavis, regardless of if you realize it or not.

Implying that a team in a competitive spot would willingly pay to bring in locker room cancer

Edited by lolcopter

5 minutes ago, grimsfield said:

Dallas could use another weapon opposite Dez. Dak + Dez + Martavis + Zeke would be very formidable. 

I think other teams that aren't playoff competitive could be interested in Martavis. He is still young. Had two great seasons his first two years. Has skills that a team in a rebuild could use. 

3 minutes ago, Evincar said:

There is now way they're trading him to an AFC team other than the Browns so dont bother mentioning them.

if thats true, then there's really no team that would be outside of the AFC and actively looking for a wide reciever. At least I can't think of a good one.

Edited by grimsfield

Just now, burninglegs said:

Dallas could use another weapon opposite Dez. Dak + Dez + Martavis + Zeke would be very formidable. 

I think other teams that aren't playoff competitive could be interested in Martavis. He is still young. Had two great seasons his first two years. Has skills that a team in a rebuild could use. 

Well, I'm just not sure how invested dallas is in guys like beasley and terrance williams. But I agree, they might be a team that would be interested.