NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Martavis Bryant 2017 Outlook

Winky

Martavis Bryant, Pittsburgh Steelers

There is a massive amount of risk trusting Bryant in fantasy lineups this week, but we can also acknowledge the presence of real rewards from the mercurial wideout. The best thing Bryant has going for him in the statistical sense is his prolific average depth of target of 17.8 yards, which also plays into his lowly 51.4 percent catch rate. Word is Bryant is back mixing with the first-team offense in practice for the Steelers out of the bye week and could be given another chance as the team's key vertical weapon this week. Knowing the risks of a low-floor outing, it helps to also consider the Colts have allowed a league-high 13.25 yards per completion on the season (15.67 to wideouts). If you are stuck with some middling options on the wire, embrace the variance with Bryant and go for the boom-or-bust angle. -- McCormick

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/11/07/mike-tomlin-steelers-turnover-margin-nfl-afc-top-spot-patriots/stories/201711070111

Tomlin pointed to several big plays the Steelers didn’t make during the first half of the season, when they finished 6-2 and are tied with the New England Patriots for the best record in the AFC. He cited a deep pass to Martavis Bryant on the first play in Chicago and a dropped interception by Ryan Shazier on the last defensive play in Detroit as examples of splash plays that didn’t occur.

One of the players who can help with that is Bryant, who did not play in Detroit because he was being punished for comments he made on social media. Bryant has 18 catches for 234 yards, but he was tied for the longest pass play of the season — 51 yards on the first play against the Minnesota Vikings — until Smith-Schuster’s touchdown catch-and-run in Detroit.

Tomlin said Bryant will play Sunday in Indianapolis, and recent history will suggest that could be a good thing. In a 2015 game against the Colts, Bryant had four catches for 114 yards that included a 68-yard touchdown. In 2014, he had a 52-yarder among his five catches for 83 yards against the Colts.

The Steelers are hoping to see more of that from Bryant in the final eight games. And it could start against the Colts, who have allowed a league-high 260 points and rank 31st in total defense and pass defense in the NFL.

“He did a nice job of dealing with the suspension and working hard to get better at his craft, and with that being said, we’re moving forward,” Tomlin said. “But I’m comfortable with the trajectory of where he is in terms of coming off the missed action.”

You really wont find another WR (outside of Gordon) on the wire at this time of the year with more upside than Bryant. Picked him up in two leagues and will start him in both. Risky as hell but his upside is immense.

Guys, I have a feeling, and that's all I'm gonna say...

...other than this. I'm starting Corey Davis over him just for floor. But it was a very tough decision...

...and this: slow start after a year off shouldn't shock anyone. We are only halfway into the NFL regular season. Things change. 

I think he’s a better receiver than JuJu.  If he gets his attitude right they will involve him.  I’m not sure if he’s worth a start this week even with the great match up.  But I could definitely see him taking back the number two wr role in Pittsburgh 

I threw him in my lineup in DFS because he was pretty cheap. I think they'll give him some targets this week and maybe he'll bust a big one. I think ROS he'll settle in as the deep threat getting a handful of looks a game. Juju isn't going away. I don't think MB will be a particularly attractive week to week option but not the worst bye/injury fill-in. 

Steelers fan here. I wouldn't expect much based on what I've seen so far. This guy is still the same beast he was 2 years ago but the difference is that Haley has changed to a very conservative-predictable playcalling, something like attempt one very deep pass at the first drive, then have OL and Bell do their thing and when you have to pass, force it to Brown even in triple coverage. It goes literally something like run-run-pass when we're ahead late. Juju is getting the snaps because he can run block and that's what the Steelers want right now. What's by far the most frustrating thing for me as a fan, is that they don't make plays for Martavis in the RZ. We end up kicking so many FG's because Haley can't/won't feature him. Most of Martavis catches so far are bubble screens and some intermediate routes. For some reason he and Big Ben can't connect on deep throws.

But who knows maybe this week is the week they do connect and he has something like 4/90/1 

Whether or not the Steelers had actual trade offers for him or not is debatable.

What’s not debatable is the fact they kept him despite being a cancer (debatable to me) when they could have simply cut him had they thought it was that bad. They didn’t though. That suggests they see a need for him. Hopefully that need translates into actual usage.

6 hours ago, bennie905 said:

Steelers fan here. I wouldn't expect much based on what I've seen so far. This guy is still the same beast he was 2 years ago but the difference is that Haley has changed to a very conservative-predictable playcalling, something like attempt one very deep pass at the first drive, then have OL and Bell do their thing and when you have to pass, force it to Brown even in triple coverage. It goes literally something like run-run-pass when we're ahead late. Juju is getting the snaps because he can run block and that's what the Steelers want right now. What's by far the most frustrating thing for me as a fan, is that they don't make plays for Martavis in the RZ. We end up kicking so many FG's because Haley can't/won't feature him. Most of Martavis catches so far are bubble screens and some intermediate routes. For some reason he and Big Ben can't connect on deep throws.

But who knows maybe this week is the week they do connect and he has something like 4/90/1 

Love this inside stuff from a true fan. Thanks. 

I have no issue with someone picking him up as a speculative add in deep leagues where he was dropped by a frustrated owner. However, I certainly wouldn’t start him this week. It’s a road game against a bad team with a piss poor defense. Pittsburgh loves to run the hell out of the ball on the road (look at Roethlisberger’s career home/away splits) and they shouldn’t have any problems doing so against Indy this weekend. This just seems like a huge Le’Veon Bell game to me. Don’t forget that the Pittsburgh defense has been very good this year too. Obviously Antonio Brown is a must start, but other than him and Bell, I don’t want any part of the Steelers offense in fantasy this week. 

51 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

I have no issue with someone picking him up as a speculative add in deep leagues where he was dropped by a frustrated owner. However, I certainly wouldn’t start him this week. It’s a road game against a bad team with a piss poor defense. Pittsburgh loves to run the hell out of the ball on the road (look at Roethlisberger’s career home/away splits) and they shouldn’t have any problems doing so against Indy this weekend. This just seems like a huge Le’Veon Bell game to me. Don’t forget that the Pittsburgh defense has been very good this year too. Obviously Antonio Brown is a must start, but other than him and Bell, I don’t want any part of the Steelers offense in fantasy this week. 

Good reasoning.  I think Indy is better at stopping the run than stopping the pass but I doubt they stop Bell and of course Brown has to get his 14 targets. You are right, Ben may not be slinging the ball more than 30 times. He won’t need to. 

Martavis Bryant (WR – PIT): at IND
“Call it me being human, call it me being sentimental, call it whatever you want, but Martavis Bryant and the Steelers need to move past their differences and come to an understanding. He wants targets and they want him to stop talking in the media. They had potential trade suitors at the trade deadline that they turned away. Why? Not because they were setting an example, but because this should be a mutually beneficial relationship. The Steelers offense has disappointed on so many levels this year and will now head to Indianapolis to play on a track without their No. 1 cornerback and their No. 1 free safety. Ben Roethlisberger has already come out and said that they need to get Bryant going. What better way to do that in their game off the bye week against a lowly Colts secondary? Call me crazy, but I’m banking on him being a factor in fantasy football again, and it starts this week.”
– Mike Tagliere (FantasyPros)

Shaping up to be that classic moment where "Player A", in this case Bryant blows up on owners benches. From a manager/boss/coach perspective, this is normally the time where you stroke the ego. Bryant has said all of the right things, is practicing with first team, Big Ben has recently given praise to Bryant saying that he thinks he will have a big second half and to top it off, is going up against an underwhelming secondary. If they want to get him going, this is the perfect spot. I'm all in.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Pittsburgh-Steelers-WR-Martavis-Bryant-We-want-to-do-it-for-Mr-Rooney-110209933

Edited by nonstopfan

Having given this more thought, I don’t see how it is possible Bryant can leapfrog over Juju. Juju has been nothing short of amazing all year. He was at his best when MB was in streetclothese. Clearly, if you give him a bigger role, he is a star. So why would you now want to revert back to putting a bushel over this bright light? 

I know Pitt may want to throw MB a bone and give him a shot downfield but that should not mean he leapfrogs Juju. Clearly he is the one playing better and the one who,is better even though Bryant’s big mouth doesn’t think so. I also think working out of the slot is a great advantage. I’ve noticed great CBs avoid guys who work out of the slot, so that is another advantage. 

Disclaimer: yes I am a former MB owner and a current juju owner. 

Edited by TennisMenace

20 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Having given this more thought, I don’t see how it is possible Bryant can leapfrog over Juju. Juju has been nothing short of amazing all year. He was at his best when MB was in streetclothese. Clearly, if you give him a bigger role, he is a star. So why would you now want to revert back to putting a bushel over this bright light? 

Disclaimer: yes I am a former MB owner and a current juju owner. 

Need to call you out on this hyperbole.  "Nothing short of amazing all year".  Come on, man.