Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

New England Patriots 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

 

If Belichick really thought Jimmy G was a franchise QB, he wouldn’t trade Jimmy G to an AFC team.  There is a long history of this when it comes to trading above average QBs.  Montana, Favre, Cutler, etc.  The Jets called on Cutler and the Broncos refused outright to deal with the Jets. 

 

 

 

 

 

Maybe.  But a 2nd and Hoyer is a very middling offer.  I say a sweet enough deal by an AFC team gets it done, as long as not in the same division.  As I've said before, I think if the Browns offered a 1st and 2nd, two 1st's, three 2nd's (as someone asserted Belichik prefers 2nd's), that would've gotten it done.  But the Browns are stupid, and would prefer to go after McCarron, so we'll never know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, devaster said:

Ran out of time and ran out of power in the front office. I really do think Kraft finally stepped in after being hands off for so many years to keep Brady. The Belichick move would have been to trade Brady away to a contender in the NFC.

lol ... hahahaha

 

its really simple --- Tom Brady is a machine ... so the domino effect (Jimmy G) time was up, he had to go.

 

There is no need me trying to explain it because ... we all know --- some of you guys just can't understand or won't

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ccimore said:

Maybe.  But a 2nd and Hoyer is a very middling offer.  I say a sweet enough deal by an AFC team gets it done, as long as not in the same division.  As I've said before, I think if the Browns offered a 1st and 2nd, two 1st's, three 2nd's (as someone asserted Belichik prefers 2nd's), that would've gotten it done.  But the Browns are stupid, and would prefer to go after McCarron, so we'll never know.

 

You do realize the pats were supposedly open to trading jimmy g  in the offseason for a 1st rd pick and even the niners didnt give up their 1st rd pick for him. There was also a rumor that the Browns were willing to give the pats a 1st rd pick but  Hoodie didnt want to deal with them for whatever his reasons were.

So i am really struggling to understand as to how you keep coming up with the scenario that if the browns gave 1st+2nd or multiple variations of picks for a backup QB at the trade deadline then the trade would have happened. 

 As I said before Hoodie made the best deal he could for the Pats interests and that probably had more variables involved than simply getting a bunch of draft picks.  

You assume the Browns made an error when it fact belicheck was the one controlling the trade process and selected teh Niners and i don't think Hoodie makes it a point to make stupid or bad trades.

Edited by dashoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

You do realize the pats were supposedly open to trading jimmy g  in the offseason for a 1st rd pick and even the niners didnt give up their 1st rd pick for him. There was also a rumor that the Browns were willing to give the pats a 1st rd pick but  Hoodie didnt want to deal with them for whatever his reasons were.

So i am really struggling to understand as to how you keep coming up with the scenario that if the browns gave 1st+2nd or multiple variations of picks for a backup QB at the trade deadline then the trade would have happened. 

 As I said before Hoodie made the best deal he could for the Pats interests and that probably had more variables involved than simply getting a bunch of draft picks.  

You assume the Browns made an error when it fact belicheck was the one controlling the trade process and selected teh Niners and i don't think Hoodie makes it a point to make stupid or bad trades.

No he doesn't usually make bad trades, although this trade seems a bit suspect considering the circumstances.  My whole point was the Browns are a terrible organization and went after McCarron when Jimmy G was attainable.  They were actively looking into the trade market for a qb.  There was a qb out there that could change the entire direction of the franchise.  They couldve and shouldve made an offer Hoodie couldnt refuse, say a 1st and 2nd, two 1st rounders, whatever package gets it done.  But theyre the Browns, and they'd rather go after McCarron for whatever reason.......and then ultimately f--- that trade up at the deadline too.  Long story short.  Browns are garbage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ccimore said:

Maybe.  But a 2nd and Hoyer is a very middling offer.  I say a sweet enough deal by an AFC team gets it done, as long as not in the same division.  As I've said before, I think if the Browns offered a 1st and 2nd, two 1st's, three 2nd's (as someone asserted Belichik prefers 2nd's), that would've gotten it done.  But the Browns are stupid, and would prefer to go after McCarron, so we'll never know.

Pats did not trade for Hoyer.  San Fran cut him, and the Pats signed him after he cleared waivers.  More fan service for Tom Brady since Hoyer and Brady are buds.  And, unlike Garrapolo, Hoyer is no threar to Brady.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Pats did not trade for Hoyer.  San Fran cut him, and the Pats signed him after he cleared waivers.  More fan service for Tom Brady since Hoyer and Brady are buds.  And, unlike Garrapolo, Hoyer is no threar to Brady.

 technically they didn trade for hoyer but he was part of the original trade. The pats had the Niners cut him because they needed to restructure his 3yr contract and trading for him would have affected comp picks for the draft.

 

"It sounds like the trade was going to be Jimmy Garoppolo in exchange for the 49ers 2018 second round pick and Brian Hoyer, but the Patriots wanted Hoyer removed for compensatory draft pick reasons. The 49ers are not projected to receive any compensatory draft picks, while the Patriots are scheduled to receive two fourth round picks and a seventh round pick.

Hoyer counts as a fifth round pick on the compensatory draft pick cancellation chart on OverTheCap.com, but if a player is released before a certain point in the year they do not count in the compensatory math."

Edited by dashoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ccimore said:

No he doesn't usually make bad trades, although this trade seems a bit suspect considering the circumstances.  My whole point was the Browns are a terrible organization and went after McCarron when Jimmy G was attainable.  They were actively looking into the trade market for a qb.  There was a qb out there that could change the entire direction of the franchise.  They couldve and shouldve made an offer Hoodie couldnt refuse, say a 1st and 2nd, two 1st rounders, whatever package gets it done.  But theyre the Browns, and they'd rather go after McCarron for whatever reason.......and then ultimately f--- that trade up at the deadline too.  Long story short.  Browns are garbage.

 

I also read the Browns only offered the Pats a 2nd rounder for Jimmy at the draft.

Which is funny because they offered a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron at the trade deadline.

It could be that the Browns just didn't think Jimmy was that good, which would fall in line with their past history in assessing a QB's talent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

 

I also read the Browns only offered the Pats a 2nd rounder for Jimmy at the draft.

Which is funny because they offered a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron at the trade deadline.

It could be that the Browns just didn't think Jimmy was that good, which would fall in line with their past history in assessing a QB's talent.

 

 Multiple rumor sources said it was Hoodie didnt give them a shot to get JimmyG for whatever his reasons were he exclusively dealt with the Niners

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

 

I also read the Browns only offered the Pats a 2nd rounder for Jimmy at the draft.

Which is funny because they offered a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron at the trade deadline.

It could be that the Browns just didn't think Jimmy was that good, which would fall in line with their past history in assessing a QB's talent.

Bingo

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ccimore said:

Bingo

 

Lol.  Now I'm reading reports they offered the Texans first rd pick for Jimmy at the deadline but it was declined. It could be that Belichick didn't want to deal with the Browns at all. And it seems like every other team was frozen out as well except the 49ers.

This is pretty much against everything Belichick is known for.

He could've of easily gotten all the teams in a bidding war for Jimmy if he wanted to.

Something is going on in Pats land but just like Bill's post games, we probably wont learn anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

 

Lol.  Now I'm reading reports they offered the Texans first rd pick for Jimmy at the deadline but it was declined. It could be that Belichick didn't want to deal with the Browns at all. And it seems like every other team was frozen out as well except the 49ers.

This is pretty much against everything Belichick is known for.

He could've of easily gotten all the teams in a bidding war for Jimmy if he wanted to.

Something is going on in Pats land but just like Bill's post games, we probably wont learn anything.

 

Nothing is going on. Just a bunch of Pat's haters bouncing conspiracy theories off each other. 

 

Pats are busy getting ready to win the super bowl.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope some years down the line Brady or Belichick writes a book about all this behind the scenes stuff, but knowing these two it will never happen. Brady's recent interview is more proof of that. He has trained himself to say absolutely nothing controversial or revealing, no sound bites whatsoever. I love TB but his interviews are so boring. That latest interview told us absolutely nothing about what is going on there. And Belichick did the same thing, with his press interview, claiming he didn't even read the article.

 

These guys keep things air-tight and in house, which is how you should run a team, but nobody else is this good at keeping radio silence.

 

Personally, I think all this stuff is the media stirring the pot more than anything else. There are probably small kernels of truth to this stuff but nothing that Hoodie doesn't have a handle on.

 

Belichick had no real move to make with Garapolo- the kid wanted to play, he wasn't going to sit and be the bench warmer, and Brady wasn't going anywhere. There just wasn't a contractual move to be made here. Bill hung on as long as he could. I'm sure the fact that Brady didn't fall off the cliff had a role as well.

 

Bill likes Jimmy G and he wasn't going to exile him to hell with the Browns. So he sends him to a friends kid Kyle Shanahan, in the NFC, in a great place for him. Jimmy G should really be appreciative of what Bill did for him, he sent him to historically great team that now has the coach and manager that are going to get them back into the "good" team tier. Worst case scenario is Bill would have to face Jimmy G in the Superbowl, otherwise he isn't going to harm the Pats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dead Money said:

I hope some years down the line Brady or Belichick writes a book about all this behind the scenes stuff, but knowing these two it will never happen. Brady's recent interview is more proof of that. He has trained himself to say absolutely nothing controversial or revealing, no sound bites whatsoever. I love TB but his interviews are so boring. That latest interview told us absolutely nothing about what is going on there. And Belichick did the same thing, with his press interview, claiming he didn't even read the article.

 

These guys keep things air-tight and in house, which is how you should run a team, but nobody else is this good at keeping radio silence.

 

Personally, I think all this stuff is the media stirring the pot more than anything else. There are probably small kernels of truth to this stuff but nothing that Hoodie doesn't have a handle on.

 

Belichick had no real move to make with Garapolo- the kid wanted to play, he wasn't going to sit and be the bench warmer, and Brady wasn't going anywhere. There just wasn't a contractual move to be made here. Bill hung on as long as he could. I'm sure the fact that Brady didn't fall off the cliff had a role as well.

 

Bill likes Jimmy G and he wasn't going to exile him to hell with the Browns. So he sends him to a friends kid Kyle Shanahan, in the NFC, in a great place for him. Jimmy G should really be appreciative of what Bill did for him, he sent him to historically great team that now has the coach and manager that are going to get them back into the "good" team tier. Worst case scenario is Bill would have to face Jimmy G in the Superbowl, otherwise he isn't going to harm the Pats.

 

BB answered questions  the article. He never talks about stuff like that. Should be all you need to know about the validity of the story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Why did they bench Butler? They let Nick Foles shred them for  370 yards lol.. Matt Patricia is going to flame out in Detroit don't think the Pats will miss him much imo. Plus this division still sucks so they can basically sleep walk to 11 wins. Pats missed Dont'a Hightower big time I am a bit baffled why Butler was benched hes not a great corner  he made a great super bowl play but Eagles WR's were running open the entire game strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NyCro said:

Why did they bench Butler? They let Nick Foles shred them for  370 yards lol.. Matt Patricia is going to flame out in Detroit don't think the Pats will miss him much imo. Plus this division still sucks so they can basically sleep walk to 11 wins. Pats missed Dont'a Hightower big time I am a bit baffled why Butler was benched hes not a great corner  he made a great super bowl play but Eagles WR's were running open the entire game strange.

 

Nobody knows. Yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to New England Patriots 2017 Outlook

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...