NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Scott Schebler 2017 Outlook

Flyman75

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

No one has posted about him for a long time but he did just hit his 6th homer today.  He has a .170 BABIP which is fueling the bad average (although he has very few line drives).  However, the extreme fly ball approach may leave him with a .245 average but 25 homers seems quiet reasonable, especially given the home park.  Any love?

I had a claim in for him to replace Haniger, but forgot I had a claim in for someone else and never moved Schebler up the list. When waivers cleared, I was so mad at myself and hoped he would stay quiet for another day. Now I'm nervous others might be on to him. He showed some pretty good power in the minors. I'm definitely intrigued.

35 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

No one has posted about him for a long time but he did just hit his 6th homer today.  He has a .170 BABIP which is fueling the bad average (although he has very few line drives).  However, the extreme fly ball approach may leave him with a .245 average but 25 homers seems quiet reasonable, especially given the home park.  Any love?

Two today, actually.  Starting to heat up.  Reds have a lot of confidence in him, which is why they sent Winker back down after a short stint.  You could do far worse on your roster, especially in deeper leagues.  I have him rostered in a 16-teamer right now and plan to give him some leash.

12 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

7th Homer. That's second most in the majors? Average will come up and might even have some steals. This power pace won't contjnue at this rate, but he has a shot to get to 30 bombs.

7 homers is in a 12-way tie for second most yes

Just now, merlin401 said:

7 homers is in a 12-way tie for second most yes

More than 12 guys with 7 bombs already and we aren't even through April yet?  And MLB is still claiming they haven't tampered with the balls...

2 minutes ago, The Czar said:

More than 12 guys with 7 bombs already and we aren't even through April yet?  And MLB is still claiming they haven't tampered with the balls...

I actually missed Votto homered so its actually a 13-way tie.  FYI number of people with 7+ homers in all of March/April the last few years:

2017:  14 + (pending next few days)

2016:  15

2015:  6

2014:  12

2013:  14 (Upton had 12, last person with more than Thames' 11)

2012:  8 (Kemp 12)

2011:  14

2010:  10

2001: 24 (including Chris Truby, who the hell is Chris Truby)

2000: 26

1999: 14

Just now, merlin401 said:

I actually missed Votto homered so its actually a 13-way tie.  FYI number of people with 7+ homers in all of March/April the last few years:

2017:  14 + (pending next few days)

2016:  15

2015:  6

2014:  12

2013:  14 (Upton had 12, last person with more than Thames' 11)

2012:  8 (Kemp 12)

2011:  14

2010:  10

2001: 24 (including Chris Truby, who the hell is Chris Truby)

2000: 26

1999: 14

I don't want to derail the Schebler thread, as I think it deserves it's own thread, but when crunching numbers this off-season, I noticed massive spikes in HR/FB% for guys that showed no other areas of growth in peripherals including no increase in FB and then there was a massive spike in homers through the second half of last year all throughout baseball.

In an era where testing is going on regularly and we were seeing steady decline for a few years, the sudden jump back up to steroid era homers is very interesting. 

I understand that guys are swinging for more fly balls, but guys have been trying to hit homers forever.  I actually expected the new era of post-steroids baseball to be more based on contact and speed.  Even with a different approach for hitters, I find a baseball wide phenomenon of increased power very interesting.  I can understand Josh Donaldson trying and hitting more homers, but to see it be across baseball is less convincing.

I'm not the only one that finds it curious: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17109063/the-mlb-home-run-explosion-2016-juiced-baseballs-blame

It would seem that the surge in HR has carried over into 2017.

Anyway, back to Schebler.

For the power he's flashing and LF RF CF, anyone consider a must add for a breakout ? 

Sure he'll not have a great average but .240-250 maybe 28 possibly more jacks. I just traded Duvall seems like picking up this guy is like cloning him.

Edited by tonywow

Didn't realize he hit .265 last Year, if he can approach that with the power he's shown thus far could be a steal in league's he can be had from free agents. 

He's 3-4 with 2 doubles so far today, including one off a lefty. It pushed his OPS to .927 for the time being.

He's definitely raising some eye brows at this point. Maybe not a bad replacement for owners who lost Eaton.

Edited by rdf8585