NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017 New York Jets Season Outlook

Iron-cock

2016 Record: 5-11 (4th in the AFC East).

Coaching Changes: Offensive Coordinator Chan Gailey Retired, John Morton hired as his replacement.

Key Additions: Nothing of value

Key Departures:  WR Brandon Marshall, C Nick Mangold, CB Darelle Revis, RT Breno Giacomini, K Nick Folk, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB Geno Smith

The Jets head into 2017 armed with the sixth pick in the draft to go along with new offensive coordinator John Morton.   Morton comes to the Jets after being the WR coach in New Orleans for the past two seasons.  He'll face the challenge of creating a Saints like offense with little experience at Quarterback.

Fantasy Watch:

QB:  Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are both on the roster as of today.  Most observers believe the Jets will bring in another QB.  Colin Kapernick has links to new OC John Morton, and recently hired Jets QB coach Jeremy Bates has worked with Jay Cutler in the past.  

RB:  Matt Forte will likely return, along with Bilal Powell.  Benny Cunningham was recently signed.  The Jets may still look to add a RB in the draft, and with former OC Chan Gailey having retired it's possible they pick up a true fullback.

WR:  Brandon Marshall's departure should result in more targets for the Jets young WRs.  Eric Decker is still recovering from an injury last season, and may not be ready for training camp.  Deep threat Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa and Charone Peake are likely to compete for a starting spot opposite Decker, with the most likely winner being Enunwa.  2nd round no-show Devin Smith will have to work to make the team in training camp. Slot WR and return man Jalin Marshall will be suspended the first four games of the season for PEDs.

TE: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins will be back for the Jets in 2017.

D7dnorD.png

z8tssFL.png

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

My guess is this is a big growing pains year for the Jets.  Unless I get a fantastic deal on Decker/Forte, I don't want a piece of this offense in standard 10-12 player leagues. 

Yeah, I have a feeling they're going to try to tank to grab a QB in the draft next season and roll over their cap money from this year.  Not a bad rebuilding plan on their part.

If Decker isn't ready for the season or gets cut, one of the Jets WRs really late might be a nice bargain.

Draft picks:

1 first, 1 second, 2 third, a 5, 6, and 7

Sounds like they're talking with Cutler.  Sorry.

Drafting Fournette and a fullback will give them something, but they need to run left.

Edited by jmausen

2 hours ago, jmausen said:

Draft picks:

1 first, 1 second, 2 third, a 5, 6, and 7

Sounds like they're talking with Cutler.  Sorry.

Drafting Fournette and a fullback will give them something, but they need to run left.

Drafting a Rb high in the midst of a full rebound is a waste of resources.  

On 3/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, 96mnc said:

Fournette has a higher draft grade than Zeke.

The offensive line has one guard.  That's about it.

It'll be an ugly season for the Jets.

On 3/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, 96mnc said:

In general I agree it's a waste of resources, unless you're getting a generational player, i.e.: Peterson, Barry Sanders, Tomlinson.   

The QB rating data point is one of those misleading and easy to manipulate for argument type of stats, imo.

Our boy Eli has only a 83.7 career QB rating.

Dan Marino was at 86.4 for his career.

Meanwhile, Andy Dalton and Matt Schaub are perched at 89.1 with Colin Kaepernick a notch below at 88.9.

Edited by Winky

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, elite said:

Season outlook = bleak 

9 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

I think I'm taking the under on five wins.

Strange to think that the glory days----statistically, the best QB + WR Corps in Jets history----was two seasons ago.

Worth mentioning: Broadway Joe turns 73 this year, and reportedly is keeping himself in good shape... with an elderly Namath at the helm, the Jets would probably do better than the season they're about to have...

I don't think i have ever been this uninterested in a NYJ off-season. Normally i'd be brainstorming draft picks, thinking of potential trades, projecting wins based on next season's schedule. Not happening. I guess my brain is following my team's lead by going into tank mode.

I have no clue who the Jets should take at 1.06. No real difference-makers in sight. Such a high pick, yet so worthless at the same time.

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

I have no clue who the Jets should take at 1.06. No real difference-makers in sight. Such a high pick, yet so worthless at the same time.

Thats exactly how it would work out for them, lol.

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

I don't think i have ever been this uninterested in a NYJ off-season. Normally i'd be brainstorming draft picks, thinking of potential trades, projecting wins based on next season's schedule. Not happening. I guess my brain is following my team's lead by going into tank mode.

Why so down Predator? The J-E-T-S just need a revitalized energy, draft up some sass, like Ariana Grande (tailback?) and maybe Hong Kong Phooey at the helm.

Funny, we play fantasy football, but the real fantasy here is the Jets breaking even this coming season.

IMG_0032.PNG

IMG_0033.JPG