NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017 New York Jets Season Outlook

Iron-cock

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

In a year where you guys are tanking it's pointless to keep Forte around.  

It's actually counterproductive to losing.  Forte might still be good.  They need to sign T-Rich.  

Or trade Forte for CMike!  

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jets truly have the makings of an 0-16 team.

It would be one thing if they actually had a follow up plan, but all they know is their getting the #1 overall next year.

If they choke on that pick...

Woody Johnson is right there with James Dolan (Knicks) as one of the worst owners in professional sports.

The front office is continually atrocious year after year after year...

1 hour ago, Winky said:

The Jets truly have the makings of an 0-16 team.

It would be one thing if they actually had a follow up plan, but all they know is their getting the #1 overall next year.

If they choke on that pick...

Woody Johnson is right there with James Dolan (Knicks) as one of the worst owners in professional sports.

The front office is continually atrocious year after year after year...

They'll win at least 4 games with that defense. They've purged the slow overrated players (Revis, Harris) and still have 3 elite talents on that d-line.

People are confusing fantasy outlook (horrific offensive talent) with real life wins (will be in plenty of games with that defense and win some until McCown suffers his inevitable season-ending injury). 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

They'll win at least 4 games with that defense. They've purged the slow overrated players (Revis, Harris) and still have 3 elite talents on that d-line.

People are confusing fantasy outlook (horrific offensive talent) with real life wins (will be in plenty of games with that defense and win some until McCown suffers his inevitable season-ending injury). 

Check their schedule and find a win... I just really don't see one... maybe a split with Buffalo?

They won't beat Cleveland.

I'll take the under on 4...

Edited by Winky

7 minutes ago, Winky said:

Check their schedule and find a win... I just really don't see one... maybe a split with Buffalo?

They won't beat Cleveland.

I'll take the under on 4...

They beat Buffalo last year. Twice. Team really can't be much worse than Fitzchoketrick's Jets. I'll take week 1 and week 9, the Bills' games. And week 6: they can't lose during their bye... then again if any team could...

Jets ILB Demario Davis slashed his salary from $3.7 million to $900,000 after his trade from Cleveland.

He's going from a $3.7 million player to a $1 million player, including a $100,000 signing bonus. Davis can earn another $1.225 million in incentives, but it's a hefty pay cut. The Jets were so desperate to get rid of S Calvin Pryor that they may have released Davis had he not accepted the pay reduction.

I really don't understand why they are playing hard ball on salaries.  Cutting David Harris.  Slashing Demario Davis's salary like this when again I don't see the cap benefit because there is no better young player to sign right now than a guy like Davis that you already know.  Say he has a good year.  Do you think he will resign with a team that just traded for him and screwed him?  No one is going to want to sign with the Jets.  Right now this is an organization that is screwing their top vets to save a few dollars.  Marshall, Revis, Harris, Decker, Mangold..... 3 of these guys should be in the Jets ring of honor but instead of celebrating their accomplishments they just cut them in the offseason - Harris in June when free agency is over.  They are paying Revis $7 million to stay at home.  I know he lost a step but your telling me there is no benefit to having a potential Hall of Famer around your young guys?  Sign him for another $2 million and give us something to watch!  From what I understand his contract is so screwy he cannot make more money to play elsewhere unless someone signs him for over $7 million.  I also don't understand why they were so desperate to get rid of Pryor and why they are willing to trade Richardson for next to nothing.  Pryor could have been a run stuffer and Richardson may have a lot of problems but age and talent isn't among them.  

I hope they stop cheating for a high draft pick and give us Jets fans something to watch.  

44 minutes ago, Elwood333 said:

Jets ILB Demario Davis slashed his salary from $3.7 million to $900,000 after his trade from Cleveland.

He's going from a $3.7 million player to a $1 million player, including a $100,000 signing bonus. Davis can earn another $1.225 million in incentives, but it's a hefty pay cut. The Jets were so desperate to get rid of S Calvin Pryor that they may have released Davis had he not accepted the pay reduction.

I really don't understand why they are playing hard ball on salaries.  Cutting David Harris.  Slashing Demario Davis's salary like this when again I don't see the cap benefit because there is no better young player to sign right now than a guy like Davis that you already know.  Say he has a good year.  Do you think he will resign with a team that just traded for him and screwed him?  No one is going to want to sign with the Jets.  Right now this is an organization that is screwing their top vets to save a few dollars.  Marshall, Revis, Harris, Decker, Mangold..... 3 of these guys should be in the Jets ring of honor but instead of celebrating their accomplishments they just cut them in the offseason - Harris in June when free agency is over.  They are paying Revis $7 million to stay at home.  I know he lost a step but your telling me there is no benefit to having a potential Hall of Famer around your young guys?  Sign him for another $2 million and give us something to watch!  From what I understand his contract is so screwy he cannot make more money to play elsewhere unless someone signs him for over $7 million.  I also don't understand why they were so desperate to get rid of Pryor and why they are willing to trade Richardson for next to nothing.  Pryor could have been a run stuffer and Richardson may have a lot of problems but age and talent isn't among them.  

I hope they stop cheating for a high draft pick and give us Jets fans something to watch.  

They are cutting high salaries to take cap hits where they can this season instead of 2018.  Right now they could roll over 20-25Mish in cap space.  Assuming the cap increases to 178M next season the Jets would have 80M+ in cap room and a high draft pick to rebuild with.  

Christian Hackenberg's accuracy issues a running joke at Jets camp

https://sports.yahoo.com/christian-hackenbergs-accuracy-issues-running-joke-jets-camp-203307057.html

"Hackenberg was a surprising second-round pick by the Jets last season. The pick was a surprise because Hackenberg has accuracy issues, and that usually doesn’t translate well to the NFL. In practices this offseason, he has had a habit of hitting reporters on the sideline with poor passes. Connor Hughes of NJ.com wrote noted Hackenberg’s lack of accuracy earlier this month, saying in “the three media-open OTAs, Hackenberg hit reporters with passes twice.”

That trend continued Tuesday, via Daniel Popper of the New York Daily News:"

5 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Christian Hackenberg's accuracy issues a running joke at Jets camp

https://sports.yahoo.com/christian-hackenbergs-accuracy-issues-running-joke-jets-camp-203307057.html

"Hackenberg was a surprising second-round pick by the Jets last season. The pick was a surprise because Hackenberg has accuracy issues, and that usually doesn’t translate well to the NFL. In practices this offseason, he has had a habit of hitting reporters on the sideline with poor passes. Connor Hughes of NJ.com wrote noted Hackenberg’s lack of accuracy earlier this month, saying in “the three media-open OTAs, Hackenberg hit reporters with passes twice.”

That trend continued Tuesday, via Daniel Popper of the New York Daily News:"

#1 pick - here we come!!

Am I the only one that remembers that the hot rumor on draft day was that the Bills were going to take Hackenburg in the 1st round??  I know he has been awful but I feel like him being a surprise 2nd round pick is sort of rewriting history.

27 minutes ago, Elwood333 said:

#1 pick - here we come!!

Am I the only one that remembers that the hot rumor on draft day was that the Bills were going to take Hackenburg in the 1st round??  I know he has been awful but I feel like him being a surprise 2nd round pick is sort of rewriting history.

Yup.  A Sampling of Rotoworld Blurbs from back then:

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that some of his NFL sources believe Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg will get taken before Paxton Lynch.

MMQB's Peter King reports that "some in the NFL are convinced" the Bills will consider taking Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg in Rd. 1.

ESPN's Jon Gruden wrote that he would be "shocked" if Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg is not selected on Day 1.

Rotoworld Blue text: “A Day 2 selection (second and third rounds) is most likely for the embattled Penn State gunslinger.”

Rotoworld's Josh Norris slots the Broncos Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg at No. 63.

Edited by Iron-cock

19 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

They beat Buffalo last year. Twice. Team really can't be much worse than Fitzchoketrick's Jets. I'll take week 1 and week 9, the Bills' games. And week 6: they can't lose during their bye... then again if any team could...

Buffalo started EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones week 17.  The week 2 game where both teams had their starting QBs was close and the Jets won, but the Jets don't have the QB or the top two WRs from that game.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets get swept by the Bills this year.

Edited by Iron-cock

4 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Buffalo started EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones week 17.  The week 2 game where both teams had their starting QBs was close and the Jets won, but the Jets don't have the QB or the top two WRs from that game.

You didn't think I was serious, right? As a Jets fan, I reserve the right to never be serious about being green. For the Bills' games, I'd just be happy if Jamal Adams can rack up 10 tackles/game---he the only Jet on my dynasty team

8 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

I actually didn't think that week 2 TNF game was close at all.   NYJ were completely rolling BUF A through the air.   Buf got a bit of a reprieve when BMarsh got hurt otherwise that game was going to get really ugly.  The Quincy Enunwa breakout game.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, joshua18 said:

BUF, MIA, JAX, CLE to start. 

They will be competitive in other games as long as McCown stays healthy. 

Did somebody on the Jags roster break your sister's heart or something?  You can't actually believe the Jets will beat the Jags.

I'm not saying that it's impossible but certainly not likely.

5 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Did somebody on the Jags roster break your sister's heart or something?  You can't actually believe the Jets will beat the Jags.

I'm not saying that it's impossible but certainly not likely.

The Jags are losers as long as they keep Bortles as their starting QB. Every year it's the same false optimism about the JAX roster. They are going to be bad, especially on the road where Bortles has won exactly 2 of his 22 career starts. 

The Jets are also going to be bad this year, but counting on Bortles to win on the road against ANYONE is sheer lunacy. 

Edited by joshua18

Jets signed WR Marquess Wilson, formerly of the Bears.

Wilson was never short on upside in Chicago, but he struggled with injuries throughout his four-year run including the broken left foot which ended his 2016 season. Despite those injuries, Wilson is a good, low-cost gamble for a team with serious questions at receiver.

I like this signing for the Jets, Wilson had a few good games when he was in Chicago filling in for Alshon.