Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017 New York Jets Season Outlook


Iron-cock
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just when the Jets' season couldn't get more bizarre:

 

Jets owner Woody Johnson has been officially nominated to be the United States' ambassador to the United Kingdom.

The move had been rumored since January. It had been delayed for reasons unknown by president Donald Trump. Johnson won't be the first owner in the past 10 years to serve as an ambassador, and will join the late, great Dan Rooney. Rooney was Barack Obama's ambassador to Ireland from 2009-12. It's unclear how the appointment will affect Johnson's football duties. Rooney remained involved with the Steelers during his time in Ireland. Ambassador of the United States to the Court of St James's is an important position. It's unclear what makes Johnson qualified.

 

How do you explain the strategy of tanking in British English?

 

I'm psyched for Hard Knocks in Tampa, but the it looks the Jets are the team primed for a great season of drama.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2017 at 7:34 PM, cohenstantinople said:

Just when the Jets' season couldn't get more bizarre:

 

Jets owner Woody Johnson has been officially nominated to be the United States' ambassador to the United Kingdom.

The move had been rumored since January. It had been delayed for reasons unknown by president Donald Trump. Johnson won't be the first owner in the past 10 years to serve as an ambassador, and will join the late, great Dan Rooney. Rooney was Barack Obama's ambassador to Ireland from 2009-12. It's unclear how the appointment will affect Johnson's football duties. Rooney remained involved with the Steelers during his time in Ireland. Ambassador of the United States to the Court of St James's is an important position. It's unclear what makes Johnson qualified.

 

How do you explain the strategy of tanking in British English?

 

I'm psyched for Hard Knocks in Tampa, but the it looks the Jets are the team primed for a great season of drama.

London Jets in 2019

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Feels like 1996.  

 

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network reports that "several sources close to" USC redshirt sophomore QB Sam Darnold say he may plays two more seasons for the Trojans.

 

Darnold is a redshirt sophomore who can declare for the draft as early as 2018 (or enter it as late as 2020). Most assume that Darnold, the consensus No. 1 overall prospect in the 2018 class, will declare after the season, but as this report suggests, those assumptions are premature.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Iron-cock said:

Feels like 1996.  

 

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network reports that "several sources close to" USC redshirt sophomore QB Sam Darnold say he may plays two more seasons for the Trojans.

 

Darnold is a redshirt sophomore who can declare for the draft as early as 2018 (or enter it as late as 2020). Most assume that Darnold, the consensus No. 1 overall prospect in the 2018 class, will declare after the season, but as this report suggests, those assumptions are premature.

 

When Bill Parcells foolishly refused to give Archie Manning assurance that he'd draft Peyton with the #1 overall pick. Peyton instead chose to stay for his senior season and the Jets took Keyshawn Johnson at #1 overall. LOL.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/myers-bill-parcells-made-peyton-manning-jets-qb-article-1.2556313

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

When Bill Parcells foolishly refused to give Archie Manning assurance that he'd draft Peyton with the #1 overall pick. Peyton instead chose to stay for his senior season and the Jets took Keyshawn Johnson at #1 overall. LOL.

 

Peyton wasn't going to come out in 1996 with Keyshawn.  1997 was the year where it was speculated he would come out, but that speculation started very early on as the Jets were in a tailspin heading for the #1 pick for the second consecutive season.

 

The 1996 speculation regarding if Peyton would come out was like what we're seeing already with Darnold.  The Jets drafted Keyshawn in the '96 draft, Peyton came out in 1997 which was the year Parcells came on board.    The Jets were in a bind with the salary cap that year, and Parcells was likely playing coy because he wanted to trade the pick regardless of who came out, but he wasn't going to flat out lie to Archie Manning to increase the value of the pick either.

 

The salary cap angle is often overlooked when the story of the 1997 draft is told.  One of the few quality breakdowns of why the Jets traded out of the #1 pick is here:

 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/indexb25f-2.html?p=529

Edited by Iron-cock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Everyone knows who really owns the Jets: 

 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/tom-brady-jets-google/amp

 

 

Meh. They beat Brady in the playoffs in Gillette and have given him problems in the past in Rex's early years. Ravens, Jets, and Broncos are probably the only three AFC teams that can say they haven't been completely dominated every year by Brady. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Everyone knows who really owns the Jets: 

 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/tom-brady-jets-google/amp

 

 

Would actually make more sense if it were the Buffalo Bills. Some of those games have been absolute blood baths. I can't even remember the last time the Bills beat NE in a meaningful game since 2003 when Bledsoe and Milloy stomped them in the opener.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2017 at 6:08 PM, mrblonde1984 said:

 

Would actually make more sense if it were the Buffalo Bills. Some of those games have been absolute blood baths. I can't even remember the last time the Bills beat NE in a meaningful game since 2003 when Bledsoe and Milloy stomped them in the opener.

Week 3 2011.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MariGOATA said:

This team not be as awful as people are making out to seem. Having seen them yesterday go against one of the top oline in Tennessee they completely looked very dominant. I know is just preseason but they were going against 1st stringers.

 

Yup. They have one of the best defensive lines in the league as long as Richardson is motivated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

 

Yup. They have one of the best defensive lines in the league as long as Richardson is motivated. 

 

We played you guys pathetic. I was disgusted. Our secondary looked like the same secondary from last yr. Our 30M corner Logan Ryan got torched by no name WRs in your Jets. Smh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MariGOATA said:

 

We played you guys pathetic. I was disgusted. Our secondary looked like the same secondary from last yr. Our 30M corner Logan Ryan got torched by no name WRs in your Jets. Smh

 

Logan Ryan is slow. If he plays anything but the slot, he'll get destroyed. BB knew how to hide his weaknesses. 

 

For the record, I'm a Giants fan, but also have followed the Jets for a long time and am a Bowles believer. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

 

Logan Ryan is slow. If he plays anything but the slot, he'll get destroyed. BB knew how to hide his weaknesses. 

 

For the record, I'm a Giants fan, but also have followed the Jets for a long time and am a Bowles believer. 

 

Logan is strong - but not fast. You are right. But I dont know what LeBeau sees in him to play him in the outside. Maybe he needs to stop coaching beacause his age is really showing.

Edited by MariGOATA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, MariGOATA said:

 

We played you guys pathetic. I was disgusted. Our secondary looked like the same secondary from last yr. Our 30M corner Logan Ryan got torched by no name WRs in your Jets. Smh

 

Robby Anderson runs a 4.34 40.  The Safety didn't do Ryan any favors on that play either.

 

I wouldn't sweat it too much.  The titans were moving the ball until the sack on the first drive.  Pass pro might be an issue, but the Jets have a very good D line.

 

One thing I will say for the Jets is the defense looked better than expected.  There is some real speed at LB and Safety which had been a liability in years past with the players Bowles inherited from Ryan. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...