NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jerick McKinnon 2017 Season Outlook

Just now, disasterisk said:

It is clear you are unfamiliar with the player, his ability, his situation, and his production thus far in his career. 

And there is a very large difference between being a good NFL RB and being a fantasy relevant RB. History is littered with fantasy relevant RBs, he'll even actually good NFL RBs, that have not produced upon their arrival simply because the opportunity was not there.

Dude couldn't beat out Matt Asiata and you think he's some all-world talent. What a joke. 

He had years to take that lead back spot and couldn't do s--- with it. He's nothing special.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, oliminator123 said:

Dude couldn't beat out Matt Asiata and you think he's some all-world talent. What a joke. 

He had years to take that lead back spot and couldn't do s--- with it. He's nothing special.

I'm not sure why you are equating fantasy relevance with "all-world talent". Where did I state he was an "all-world talent"? 

He had years to take the lead back spot? What years were these exactly? There was last year and what other years?

36 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

I'm not sure why you are equating fantasy relevance with "all-world talent". Where did I state he was an "all-world talent"? 

He had years to take the lead back spot? What years were these exactly? There was last year and what other years?

He was always supposed to be "the guy" when AP went down with injuries and suspensions year-after-year. And he always took a backseat to Matt Asiata, the worlds worst running back.

Just now, oliminator123 said:

He was always supposed to be "the guy" when AP went down with injuries and suspensions year-after-year. And he always took a backseat to Matt Asiata, the worlds worst running back.

You keep vaguely referencing years. What years specifically did McKinnon have the opportunity to become THE GUY other than last year. You keep saying years plural, so what years were they? 

2 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

You keep vaguely referencing years. What years specifically did McKinnon have the opportunity to become THE GUY other than last year. You keep saying years plural, so what years were they? 

2014: AP played 1 game and was gone the rest of the year. McKinnon could not beat Asiata out of the lead back role. He was supposed to be the waiver wire add of the year (in fact I even added him and he did jack).

2016: AP played 3 games and was gone. McKinnon was again supposed to be "the guy" but could not beat Asiata (again).

2017: Vikings realize McKinnon is nothing special so they go out and draft a RB and also sign Murray to a $15mil contract. 

Good enough?

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

2014: AP played 1 game and was gone the rest of the year. McKinnon could not beat Asiata out of the lead back role. He was supposed to be the waiver wire add of the year (in fact I even added him and he did jack).

2016: AP played 3 games and was gone. McKinnon was again supposed to be "the guy" but could not beat Asiata (again).

2017: Vikings realize McKinnon is nothing special so they go out and draft a RB and also sign Murray to a $15mil contract. 

Good enough?

Are we sure McKinnon was in contention to be considered for the lead back role in 2014 when was a rookie? And it was Zimmer's first year? Because it seems unlikely to me to expect a 5'9" 200 lb rookie to come in and have 250 rushing attempts on a team that went into the season with an offense predicated on running the ball with AP, an entirely different type of RB, as much as possible. McKinnon produced when given the opportunity that year regardless. 

1 minute ago, disasterisk said:

Are we sure McKinnon was in contention to be considered for the lead back role in 2014 when was a rookie? And it was Zimmer's first year? Because it seems unlikely to me to expect a 5'9" 200 lb rookie to come in and have 250 rushing attempts on a team that went into the season with an offense predicated on running the ball with AP, an entirely different type of RB, as much as possible. McKinnon produced when given the opportunity that year regardless. 

I don't see why not, as Asiata proved time and time again that he was atrocious. We've seen rookies come in and be studs time and time again, very much true this year. 

I don't know Zimmer's philosophy and I understand AP was a different type of back, but you still would go with the more talented back who gave you the best chance to win.

3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I don't see why not, as Asiata proved time and time again that he was atrocious. We've seen rookies come in and be studs time and time again, very much true this year. 

I don't know Zimmer's philosophy and I understand AP was a different type of back, but you still would go with the more talented back who gave you the best chance to win.

Except McKinnon was more efficient than Asiata in 2014 but was used less than Asiata. Not sure how that amounts to a failure for McKinnon when it's the coaches decision to continue to give work to the demonstrably worse player in Asiata.

Again this forum assumes that NFL coaches always make the right decisions in regards to player usage. 

I guess this thread will be useless until oliminator goes back to wherever he came from so I'll check out for awhile. I'm not interested in a back & forth about what happened last night with someone who clearly has blinders on. I am very interested in discussing McKinnon's long-term prospects especially in PPR leagues though. If the trend from last night continues regarding touches we have something here.

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

Who knows. We don't know what went on in practice or what occurred during the games. I have an awful memory so I don't remember 100% how he looked that year

All the McKinnon bashing and then you finish with that?

Edited by owenmills
Just now, disasterisk said:

Except McKinnon was more efficient than Asiata in 2014 but was used less than Asiata. Not sure how that amounts to a failure for McKinnon when it's the coaches decision to continue to give work to the demonstrably worse player in Asiata.

Again this forum assumes that NFL coaches always make the right decisions in regards to player usage. 

Who knows. We don't know what went on in practice or what occurred during the games. I have an awful memory so I don't remember 100% how he looked that year, and all we can really go on is what we can infer.

My gut tells me that Zimmer doesn't think McKinnon isn't the answer, which goes back to this years draft and free agency pickups. All of the signs pointed to Murray being the guy to own which is why everyone went with him. Odds are we are going to see a RBBC and both are going to have on and off weeks.

I think everyone can agree that running back is a cesspool this year.

6 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

. All of the signs pointed to Murray being the guy to own which is why everyone went with him

All signs point to some rb2 value with McKinnon who went for 140 yards last night.  Maybe he doesn’t repeat that next week but it sure seems like he’s getting 15 touches. 

People got got burned by McKinnon in the past and thought they were smart by avoiding him for free this year and went and paid for Murray. It’s a double fail.

Edited by brockpapersizer
13 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Who knows. We don't know what went on in practice or what occurred during the games. I have an awful memory so I don't remember 100% how he looked that year, and all we can really go on is what we can infer.

My gut tells me that Zimmer doesn't think McKinnon isn't the answer, which goes back to this years draft and free agency pickups. All of the signs pointed to Murray being the guy to own which is why everyone went with him. Odds are we are going to see a RBBC and both are going to have on and off weeks.

I think everyone can agree that running back is a cesspool this year.

selective memory loss, what a friggin' clown :lol:

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

selective memory loss, what a friggin' clown :lol:

Sorry I don't remember how a random running back who got 5-10 carries a game looked back in 2014. My guess would be not great since he hasn't done trash since.

Maybe you can let me know how Shonn Greene looked in 2014, Mr. Wizard.

3 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

He had a good run for a TD against a defense missing some key players and supposedly took over. Does everyone need a reminder course on how fragile this kid is? 

You know the old saying.  "Ride 'em till the wheels fall off".

McKinnon is basically another version of C West. He is a passing down back and Minnesota took full advantage of Chicagos horrible secondary.  It was all about the game script here guys and if you start him next week you will be disappointed 

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

McKinnon is basically another version of C West. He is a passing down back and Minnesota took full advantage of Chicagos horrible secondary.  It was all about the game script here guys and if you start him next week you will be disappointed 

Game script? They used McKinnon throughout the 2nd half when they were up. 

Edited by chud12

After week 1 people were saying not to trust Gurley and to sell high because he didnt have an amazing game against the Colts D. Same people are hanging their hat on 2014.

This is how running backs have looked against Chicago this year.  I understand Chicago might be a bad defense, but he did what he was suppose to against a bad defense.  Even good running backs have mediocre games against average to good defenses. Very very few running backs are good 4/5 games in 2017.

However bad this defense is, Mckinnon did better against them than anyone else this year. 

qEnNuJL.png

6 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

if you start him next week you will be disappointed 

I'm sure I'll be disappointed by at least 4 things that happen to my roster next Sunday, it's fantasy football. If you have a better running back who is getting 15 + touches in a better matchup then Mckinnon next week, use him instead. You're going to need 2 of them at least, possibly 3 depending on your WR depth for your flex.  Some teams in different formats need him more or less than others.

8 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Signed,

A salty Murray owner.