NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

I actually kind of like that... we know neither are going to be lead backs out of the gate, so this isn't some sort of crushing revelation. I own both in a half ppr league with return yardage and TDs, and this only adds to their flex appeal for me.  Get the ball in the hands of your playmakers, I dig it Uncle Bill.

Having all four backs makes my decision really easy... he sits, quite obviously.  And if each one of these backs gets 8-10 touches tonight, then the decision is even easier - he gets dropped.  Every year my mantra is don't end up with a Pats RB.  But every year, it seems like the "value" is just too good and I end up drafting one.  I'll let somebody else deal with the headache.  I don't doubt that all four of them will have at least one top 15 finish at some point during the season.

7 hours ago, CooL said:

Having all four backs makes my decision really easy... he sits, quite obviously.  And if each one of these backs gets 8-10 touches tonight, then the decision is even easier - he gets dropped.  Every year my mantra is don't end up with a Pats RB.  But every year, it seems like the "value" is just too good and I end up drafting one.  I'll let somebody else deal with the headache.  I don't doubt that all four of them will have at least one top 15 finish at some point during the season.

last two years Pats have had a back play at a top 7 pace while healthy who went for almost nothing at the draft. their backfield is what every owner should be eying for cheap stars

On 9/6/2017 at 6:15 AM, jccouger said:

Where is this freaking Mike Lombardi dude?  I have something I want to tell him.

Well, this bum is an easy drop.  Only RB worth owning is Gilleslie, which is what we knew all along but just didn't want to pay for him.

I think you gotta give it a little more time before you drop. Usage may be all over the place, and this may be low end.

I think he lined up in the slot at least once? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If he's dropped in any of my deeper leagues, I'm picking him up for now. 

Edited by wrongstyle
6 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

There are four situations:

A. You start Burkhead, he does nothing: You are very unhappy.

B. You start Burkhead, he goes off: You are very happy.

C. You sit Burkhead, he does nothing: You are very happy.

D. You sit Burkhead, he goes off: You are unhappy for a little while.  Then you have a realization - this is a 16-week season and you own Rex Burkhead who has a big role on this great offense.  You get to use him for Weeks 2-16!  You are very happy.

So what is the only way to be very unhappy?  Option A: you start him and he does nothing.  If you choose C or D (you sit him), you have two chances for happiness.  I like happiness.

Q.E.D.

I hope nobody chose the only possible path to unhappiness.  

Just now, Gohawks said:

There was a path you didn't mention.

You sit Burkhead. Your opponent does not sit Hunt. You are very unhappy.

Sorry - I don't have the ability to manage opponents' rosters.  I'm happy enough if I can just keep mine straight...

That was just absolutely pathetic. In my opinion, knowing that he is capable of putting up a line like this makes him an easy drop. Just thanking god that I did not throw him into my starting lineup.

i missed the first 3 1/2 quarters. Did Gillislee look good running the ball? The only chance I hold on to Burkhead is if there were any indications that Gillislee didn't do great running the ball.

Edited by nb009
2 minutes ago, nb009 said:

That was just absolutely pathetic. In my opinion, knowing that he is capable of putting up a line like this makes him an easy drop. Just thanking god that I did not throw him into my starting lineup.

i missed the first 3 1/2 quarters. Did Gillislee look good running the ball? i.e. any chance Burkhead can take his job?

Gillislee seemed to only play when the patriots were emtering scoring territory, so yea, he looked good for the role he was assigned. Seemed like White had all the other work.

22 minutes ago, wrongstyle said:

I think you gotta give it a little more time before you drop. Usage may be all over the place, and this may be low end.

I think he lined up in the slot at least once? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If he's dropped in any of my deeper leagues, I'm picking him up for now. 

I don't see how you come away from this game reassured that he can be a big part of this offense.  I remember one end zone look but Brady as he did all night threw a bad ball.  Collinsworth made some comment about how anytime the Pats had an RB lined up against a LB that they were going to attack that.  Only thing is that LB looked like the Incredible Hulk guarding the tiny Burkhead.

So this is his floor.  I don't see how it can go any lower except for a zero burger.  You really think that there will be good games after this?  And even if you do, can you predict that there won't be another one like this?  Pats were behind for a good part of the second half.  Which means game script should dictate that the pass catching backs get more play.  But it seemed to be all White.  I'd be interested to see what the snap counts are.

In any case, if you can stomach that you might get games like this from him again during the season - and you most certainly will - and you can still plug him into your lineup with confidence, then go get him with your FAAB.  I'm dropping and not looking back.

1 minute ago, CooL said:

I don't see how you come away from this game reassured that he can be a big part of this offense.  I remember one end zone look but Brady as he did all night threw a bad ball.  Collinsworth made some comment about how anytime the Pats had an RB lined up against a LB that they were going to attack that.  Only thing is that LB looked like the Incredible Hulk guarding the tiny Burkhead.

So this is his floor.  I don't see how it can go any lower except for a zero burger.  You really think that there will be good games after this?  And even if you do, can you predict that there won't be another one like this?  Pats were behind for a good part of the second half.  Which means game script should dictate that the pass catching backs get more play.  But it seemed to be all White.  I'd be interested to see what the snap counts are.

In any case, if you can stomach that you might get games like this from him again during the season - and you most certainly will - and you can still plug him into your lineup with confidence, then go get him with your FAAB.  I'm dropping and not looking back.

When I drafted him I knew it would be at least 3 weeks before I had a clear picture of what to expect. I plan to hold to that plan. 

So, no, this game didn't make me feel better about him. But it didn't sway me enough to change course either. 

And as as far as FAAB goes, I'm positive you'll be able to pick him up for $0. 

1 minute ago, wrongstyle said:

When I drafted him I knew it would be at least 3 weeks before I had a clear picture of what to expect. I plan to hold to that plan. 

So, no, this game didn't make me feel better about him. But it didn't sway me enough to change course either. 

And as as far as FAAB goes, I'm positive you'll be able to pick him up for $0. 

Yeah, I can understand that.  But there's just too many backs here and history will say it's tough to predict.  Too many other lotto tickets likely available on your wire, although of course it depends on league and roster size - Matt Jones, Matt Breida, Tarik Cohen, Alvin Kamara, Jamaal Williams, etc.

Just now, CooL said:

Yeah, I can understand that.  But there's just too many backs here and history will say it's tough to predict.  Too many other lotto tickets likely available on your wire, although of course it depends on league and roster size - Matt Jones, Matt Breida, Tarik Cohen, Alvin Kamara, Jamaal Williams, etc.

Youre right. I think the best plan is to wait until after Sunday's games to see how Kamara, Cohen and Breida are utilized. If one looks like you can safely count on 5+ targets and a few carries, they are likely a better choice. Jones and Williams, and possibly Breida, are only meaningful once someone gets hurt or benched. Which is unlikely to happen this early in the year. Those types of lottery tickets can be picked up after a couple weeks without much risk of missing your window of opportunity.