NBC Sports Edge Forums

Patriots' Rex Burkhead: Logs 10 snaps Thursday

Burkhead was on the field for 10 of the Patriots' 81 snaps on offense in Thursday's 42-27 loss to the Chiefs, per ESPN's Mike Reiss. In the process, Burkhead carried three times for 15 yards and caught one of his three targets for eight yards. Meanwhile, James White recorded 43 snaps and 10 carries for 38 yards, while Mike Gillislee was on the field for 24 snaps, logging a team-high 15 carries for 45 yards and three TDs. Further, Dion Lewis was limited two carries on six snaps. Burkhead was actually the first back out there for the Patriots on Thursday, but as the game progressed, it became clear that White was the team's preferred option in the passing game, while Gillislee profiles as the Patriots' top power back. Given the Patriots' game-plan/game-flow dependent attack, we expect to see weeks in which Burkhead sees more touches. That could occur as soon as next weekend, when the Patriots face the Saints on the road, a game that has shootout potential. Of course, until we see better production from him, Burkhead will remain a speculative play.

giphy.gif

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TrillaTrilla said:

Evan Silva, so that hot take was about as accurate as his college bball recruiting hot takes

Lol.  I was taken back when I read the tweet and for a moment I almost went against my better judgment (don't trust any Patriot runner until it is obvious) because I am so desperately thin at RB with only two and Zeke.  But alas, I didn't bite and decided to go elsewhere.  

Having said that, Rex may end up getting his chance, but there still are a lot of mouths to feed and it is now abundantly clear to me- Gills gets the one yard plunges. 

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

The harshness is justified if the prediction was made with condescending arrogance and mockery of contrarian opinions, combined with cowardice to own up to it when proven wrong -- in other words, @Axe Elf.

Otherwise, I agree...even the best analysts are wrong more than 40% of the time. 

Suffering from"Axe  Envy"

7 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I'm dying to drop Rexy before Sunday games but that would mean going to my yahoo page and seeing the score Hunt put on my team last night

tenor.gif

To many crappy .gif's posted here, this isn't one of those however. Gave me a good chuckle. Give yourself a couple days bro, take all the time you need. We're all here for you haha.

Unless there is an injury, I see no reason to own Rex.

There are a ton of rookie RB's with more upside that are available.  Kamara, Mack, Cohen, Foreman, Perine etc.

Why sit on Rex?  

If I had room, I would have stashed Mack going into Week1 then adjusted after they all play.  Mack has the easiest path to starter...

My stash is D. Henry because he has value as a bye week guy, even with no injuries.  His upside is also RB1.  Maybe if I trade Woodhead (my RB3) for a WR, I'll pick up one of the rookies above.

Rex = drop

55 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

There are a ton of rookie RB's with more upside that are available.  Kamara, Mack, Cohen, Foreman, Perine etc.

Why sit on Rex?  

If I had room, I would have stashed Mack going into Week1 then adjusted after they all play.  Mack has the easiest path to starter...

My stash is D. Henry because he has value as a bye week guy, even with no injuries.  His upside is also RB1.  Maybe if I trade Woodhead (my RB3) for a WR, I'll pick up one of the rookies above.

Rex = drop

Well, truthers will say that Amendola getting injured opens the door, but I say that benefits White more and not Burkhead.

I think Breida has arguably an easier path than Mack as Mack's situation is complicated by Matt Jones.  And I thought I read that Hyde said it was going to be like Thunder and Lightning with them, just like Freeman and Coleman in Atlanta.  Which would make sense.  And if Hyde gets injured, that's a free RB1.

Kamara and Cohen likely will get third down play because that's what they do, but I don't see them being bellcows.

Reports on Perine weren't all that great in the preseason.

And I wouldn't stash any of those above over Derrick Henry, but he likely cost you some draft capital.

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

I'm dying to drop Rexy before Sunday games but that would mean going to my yahoo page and seeing the score Hunt put on my team last night

tenor.gif

Add to that the 10 points that GOAT scored for me to that as well.

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

Why sit on Rex?  

Rex = drop

Very true in shallow leagues.  However, in my 12 teamers all the guys you mentioned were drafted.  It's really just boils down to league size.

I had planned on waiting a week to see what Rex does, but I am more inclined to drop him. I really just don't see how he can have any impact unless someone gets injured. He's a tweener. He's not the 3D back, he's not the GL back and he's not the between-the-20s back. So what is he? WW fodder to me. Unfortunate most of us succumbed to the hype train. I have him in two of my big money leagues, but it was a waste of a late pick.

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

Why sit on Rex?  

Rex = drop

I think people saw a couple of things:

* Week 17 of last year, Rexy went what 25 carries, 117 yards and 2TD plus believe he can catch the ball a little bit

* He was a guy the Pats targeted in FA, granted not a huge contract or anything, but still 

* He seemed like the kind of guy you could see blowing up in the Pats system...

Lets also not forget, the Pats lost last night, so maybe when the adjustments come, one of them is more snaps for Rex?

I bought on this guy this year, which is why he stinks, because when I give up on Patriots players they blow up, when I buy on them they suck, when I respect their defense they are a siv when I play guys against them, they lock em down like the 85 Bears....they are truly my nemesis. 

Rex is droppable if you need a roster spot.  If you like him as a stash, I can't argue with that.  He could certainly work his way back into fantasy relevance.  But only in the deepest of leagues (14-teamers or bigger with multiple flex spots) would you even consider be rolling him out there any time soon so really he's no more valuable than any of many handcuff stash types right now.

Bill may not be happy with how the offense performed, but I don't think he's directing any of that towards Gillislee's goal-line usage.

With Rex's only chance for a TD basically a screen or flare route inside the red zone, I think Rex right now needs a Gillislee injury to have definitive fantasy value.  Could that change?  Possibly.  But getting used on just 10 snaps is not a startable workload for fantasy.  He's basically seeming right now like a more versatile Branden Bolden (role-wise).

57 minutes ago, Robrain said:

Bill may not be happy with how the offense performed, but I don't think he's directing any of that towards Gillislee's goal-line usage.

With Rex's only chance for a TD basically a screen or flare route inside the red zone, I think Rex right now needs a Gillislee injury to have definitive fantasy value.  Could that change?  Possibly.  But getting used on just 10 snaps is not a startable workload for fantasy.  He's basically seeming right now like a more versatile Branden Bolden (role-wise).

How did Gilly look on those 2 4th down failures?

3 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

How did Gilly look on those 2 4th down failures?

Like the Chiefs got solid penetration at the line and he kind of just tried to hammer his way into the backs of his offensive linemen in front of him.  LT Nate Solder didn't seem to be all that effective run-blocking at the times I noticed him, especially when he was lining up on the right side of the line at the TE spot in short yardage.

When it counted on those 4th down conversions, Chiefs D-line didn't seem to budge an inch.  Was kind of impressed considering they lost their 350-lb DT Dontari Poe in free agency this offseason.

1 hour ago, Robrain said:

Like the Chiefs got solid penetration at the line and he kind of just tried to hammer his way into the backs of his offensive linemen in front of him.  LT Nate Solder didn't seem to be all that effective run-blocking at the times I noticed him, especially when he was lining up on the right side of the line at the TE spot in short yardage.

When it counted on those 4th down conversions, Chiefs D-line didn't seem to budge an inch.  Was kind of impressed considering they lost their 350-lb DT Dontari Poe in free agency this offseason.

Gilly did good at the GL but those failed conversions on 4th down were prettuytelling to me. He might have a hard time creating outside of whats blocked for him. All 3 of Gillys TDs were great blocking from the oline. If Burkheads number had been calles he could have had the same result.

1 hour ago, Robrain said:

Solder is definitely the weak link

If you're getting involved with Patriots RBs you have to know what you're getting into.  Its rarely going to be a weekly guarantee.  But you're also not going to have a chance to pick any of them up if any clarity starts to unfold.  So for people who took a flier on him I don't think this is any kind of death knell.  If you didn't draft your only chance is a pickup after a drop in 12 team leagues (which seems to me to be about the competitive standard)

8 hours ago, Robrain said:

They replaced Poe with an excellent run stuffer in Bennie Logan. 

Edited by ohio#1eaglesfan

Can't argue dropping him in 10/12 men... especially in leagues where the bench does not lock. Try your luck with a matt breida or something. Worse case ... no one will be claiming rex if you want him back next week.

If Lewis gets traded and one of Mike G or White gets injured Burkhead could be an every week starter on fantasy teams...   

Seems like Burkhead would be the handcuff for both guys and would only need one of them to get dinged up or worn down to have a shot at putting in work...

Shallow benches I get it he didn't do much and you can't hold him just like you can't hold Carson if he only has 10 snaps this week I guess...

But for those of us with deep benches I'd much rather hold Rex a bit to see how it plays out then ditching him for some flavor of the week guy who doesn't really have the week winning upside Rex does...

Edited by General Gannicus