NBC Sports Edge Forums

18 minutes ago, gimme the ball said:

Giardi of CSN is saying they will move Rex to the slot, something I have been advocating for. I was just telling someone the other day that Bill needs to make Rex their next Edelman. 

If this happens, watch out. He WILL be the Patriots' next Welker or Edelman. Is the perfect type for that. I grabbed him immediately and have him stashed on my bench to see. 

If he is given an opportunity at the Edelman role, look out. He will run away with it, and in PPR leagues, could be an absolute boon since he'd be a pass-catching RB. 

The report is that he is "a logical choice" to "see some snaps" in the slot "for week 2" considering Amendola might not go. I think when Amendola is healthy, he is the logical choice to take over for Amendola.

I've been burned too many times by this backfield. Not biting.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pie-in-the-sky.  It's a beat reporter spitballing based on the logical need for the Pats at the position, not because he's reporting anything he heard.

Always watch out for local beat reporters trying to make themselves into more than what they truly are - lower totem pole reporters trying to make themselves seem more important than their job really entails.

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

The report is that he is "a logical choice" to "see some snaps" in the slot "for week 2" considering Amendola might not go. I think when Amendola is healthy, he is the logical choice to take over for Amendola.

I've been burned too many times by this backfield. Not biting.

Amendola is too fragile to be the workhorse Edelman was, and Brady & the Pats NEED an Edelman/Welker-type player. He is literally their bread and butter, first gear of their offense. THAT is the role I am talking about Rex fulfilling. He will shine in that role if given the opportunity. He fits the slot perfectly with his quickness. 

Just throw him on your bench. It's not like you even have to play him. 

I agree that this is speculation and not indicative of anything coming from Hoodie or anyone in organization. My point is they should do it, and if they're smart they will do it, and IF they do it, Rex will seize the moment. 

Edited by gimme the ball
6 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

Just stay away from everyone in this backfield but Gillislee. 

Pretty much.

Rex and JW will each have 2-3 big games when Hoody wants to use them to exploit a matchup but good luck predicting when that actually happens because there's going to be a lot more duds where they don't do squat.

Edited by fletch44
17 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Pretty much.

Rex and JW will each have 2-3 big games when Hoody wants to use them to exploit a matchup but good luck predicting when that actually happens because there's going to be a lot more duds where they don't do squat.

I believe James white is the most consistent of all the backs...you know he will get his snaps in the backfield and get around 8-10 pts in PPR

Just now, freevick said:

Talk of Burkhead playing more snaps and possibly playing some slot. Anyone drinking the koolaid again?

Meh. Beat writers just speculating that he could. Russian roulette with this team. I'm not falling for it ever again. Only guys on this team I feel owning would be Brady, Cooks, Gronk, and Gilleslie.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:35 AM, Mathew Berry said:

There's always a chance that some of these rbs are transitioned into the slot after the lose of Edelman and now amendola.  

Slot needs to read coverage well and be shifty to wiggle off his guy and get the sure 4-6 yards that brady needs.

Cooks is a speed guy who's obviously way better suited sprinting deep.

hogan is kind of the same but lengthier and takes long strides.

i don't know if Dorset fits that slot roll either.

patriots will adapt to their lack of wr depth... wait and see! 

Ill just leave this here =)

8 hours ago, freevick said:

Talk of Burkhead playing more snaps and possibly playing some slot. Anyone drinking the koolaid again?

I'm very skeptical.

But if it actually happens and it works, look out.

Tom loves him some short shifty pale twitchy munchkins.

I'll never forget when the RW blurb before Kickoff 2017 (you know - last Thursday) was "Burkhead break out?" or some such nonsense.

Good times.

Read the first 21 pages. If/when Burkhead has a big game (and I suspect he will at some point) he will be on >/= 80% benches.

The most reliable Pats RB is now an unreliable RB with PHI.

• jbshaw locked this topic
  • jbshaw unlocked this topic
3 hours ago, whoopsie said:

Does his health really matter though? He's not going to get enough targets to be comfortable starting. White has been stepping up and Brady loves him.

I really hate these posts. Obviously it doesn't matter to you so why do you feel the need to post on it? 

People play in all sorts of leagues of various sizes. People in deeper leagues this is very important to. I'm sorry to say, but the world does revolve around your league settings. 

Is he oddly the handcuff to both Gilly and White? 

Assuming he's ahead of Lewis?

Don't forget we signed up to be in this black comedy known as the NE RB Game.

Edited by Proteus
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...