NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rex Burkhead 2017 Outlook

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, James White, and Mike Gillislee: That’s more running backs than will likely be active on gameday, but there will be questions on every one of them except Gillislee, who was inactive for last week’s game. Opponents have been destroying the Raiders on the ground, averaging a solid 4.3 yards per carry, but the real story is the volume they face seemingly on a weekly basis. Opponents average nearly 29 rushing attempts per game against them, which is why there have been six running backs accumulate 18 or more carries against them. Lewis is the primary 1-2 down back who is not being used in the passing game, while White has apparently been overtaken by Burkhead on the pecking order. Here are White’s snaps by week, starting in Week 4: 43, 35, 29, 23, 20, 11. That’s trending to inactive, though I don’t really think that will happen. This is the Patriots backfield, so it shouldn’t shock anyone to see Gillislee active and score this week, but the most realistic scenario is that Lewis is a solid RB2, while Burkhead is a high-end RB3, and White is a dicey flex. Should Gillislee be active, he’s just a touchdown-hopeful RB5.

The key is Gillislee. If he is active watch out. That would mean BB has plans for him and they are going more smashmouth.

I doubt this happens. In high altitude I'd think BB will pick up the pace, no huddle, wear out the OAK D. Still, if Gillislee active, no way do you play Burkhead.

Gillislee will definitely be back. BB loves his Blount-type runners in certain situations. They won't just sit their only ground-and-pound back for the ROS because they'll at least want that option heading into the playoffs. Who knows how that affects Lewis and Burkhead.

I wouldn't be particularly surprised if MG is active on Sunday and drops a Jonas Gray.

Edited by LongBalls

2 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

The key is Gillislee. If he is active watch out. That would mean BB has plans for him and they are going more smashmouth.

I doubt this happens. In high altitude I'd think BB will pick up the pace, no huddle, wear out the OAK D. Still, if Gillislee active, no way do you play Burkhead.

Wasn't Gillislee active two games ago when Rex was really active in the passing game? I don't think it really matters if he is active or not. Rex had something like 20 of the 30 snaps in the first half last week. His usage is rising.

3 hours ago, LongBalls said:

Gillislee will definitely be back. BB loves his Blount-type runners in certain situations. They won't just sit their only ground-and-pound back for the ROS because they'll at least want that option heading into the playoffs. Who knows how that affects Lewis and Burkhead.

I wouldn't be particularly surprised if MG is active on Sunday and drops a Jonas Gray.

Are you referring to Jonas Gray as a turd ? :angry:

Just kidding, I know you are referring to his one hit wonder of a game . 

10 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

Are you referring to Jonas Gray as a turd ? :angry:

Just kidding, I know you are referring to his one hit wonder of a game . 

And what a game it was!  I remember guys scrambling to add him thinking they struck GOLD only to be massively disappointed soon afterwards.  :D

Gillislee has been inactive because he has played terrible football.  With Burkhead and Lewis well ahead of Gillislee in their knowledge of the offense and execution of the plays, I expect them to get most of the work even though Gillislee outweighs them by 15-20 lbs.

Alright I'm convinced and In, didn't cost me much. 

This is why I bought Burkhead on the open market two hours ago: 

The number one quality that coaches look for in backs ahead of all measurables is dependability. 

Burkhead to me is as dependable as it gets. 

I'm firing this up. 

Good luck to all 

On 16/11/2017 at 12:48 PM, Booyashakalaka said:

Anyone starting both Burky and Lewis? Might cutout some of the uncertainty while maintaining some good upside.  

Yep. I found Burkhead still available and decided to run both as a 1-2 punch. Ingram/Kamara in my standard team, Lewis/Burkhead in my PPR... hey, a guy can dream right?

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Yep. I found Burkhead still available and decided to run both as a 1-2 punch. Ingram/Kamara in my standard team, Lewis/Burkhead in my PPR... hey, a guy can dream right?

Good luck on that synergy, Burkhead will eat, he's good in both the passing and running games and finally healthy 

Aside from Pitt in round 2, his playoff schedule is money, solid depth piece for a run with upside to major piece that road grates and pass catches you a title with the rest of your horseman. :ph34r:

Well this sucks. Not only because he didn't produce, but because we don't really know what happened. Did he lose snaps because of the fumble? Or were the Pats up big so they just used Lewis to run out the clock and didn't need him. Don't really feel like you can confidently start him next week.

The fumble cost him some playing time, and then he came back in and dropped a pass, and then was taken out again. Meanwhile Lewis was having a good game, so I think it was a case of "hot hand". I think this game is more of his floor---7 to 8 points in PPR. At this point though, Lewis appears to have solidified his starting status.