NBC Sports Edge Forums

8 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Well, look no further than this quote from Coach B. He loves him and think he can contribute, this quote alone moved Burkhead up to about pick 100 for me. I know the Pat backfield is crowded and a weekly headache but a guy like Burkhead is gonna get consistent touches and in a PPR flex or zero RB strategy, this could be a 10 point floor, sign me up yo!

--Belichick a few days ago

"Rex has missed very little time," Belichick said when asked about Burkhead's progress on Sunday. "He’s basically been out there every day and we’ve worked with him in all areas of the game that we think he can contribute in, which is all three downs offensively and the four phases of special teams that he’s been involved with, from Day 1."

I love Burkhead at his price so I'm not here to knock him.  Although he's been creeping up in price lately to the point where some of the value is being wrung out of him right now.  But I want to comment on this special teams thing.  I've heard this sort of thing all preseason, including at one point when someone called him a "four down player."  If the plan was to give Burkhead a huge offensive role, they would not be talking about Burkhead playing on special teams.  Skill players who get 60 snaps a game on offense don't play special teams - they are too valuable to risk on making open field tackles.  So the continued comments about Burkhead's special team prowess continues to "slow my roll" on Burkhead just a bit.  

That said, I have more shares of him than of any other player so far this season and I don't plan to stop acquiring him when the price is right.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're just going to use whoever matches up with the defense weekly. There won't really be a split. Gillislee will play some a lot vs. teams with a tougher than usual pass defense, Burkhead will play some vs. the balanced teams, and White will get run in most games/against teams susceptible to the short passing game. However their schedule breaks in terms of defensive SoS is how things will go.

So hard to know.  This guy went undrafted in my league, along with Dion Lewis.  I don't doubt that all 4 backs will have some blowup games during the year, but good luck guessing right.  I think in a PPR format, the only guys I'm interested in are Gilleslie and James White, and even James White makes me worry.

Kinda glad NE has the Thursday game. Took a flyer on Burkhead in some leagues and it's an easy cut for me if his role sucks to clear up bench space.

Even though BB is unpredictable and could give him the lion's share the following week. 

19 minutes ago, TXTaz said:

What was Woodheads best finish in fantasy in the NE system? Do we start there?

I'm so confused.  Is Burkhead supposed to be the Woodhead replacement?  Isn't that James White?  Or now Dion Lewis?  Are all 3 of these guys the same type of player?  I really have no idea.

4 minutes ago, CooL said:

I'm so confused.  Is Burkhead supposed to be the Woodhead replacement?  Isn't that James White?  Or now Dion Lewis?  Are all 3 of these guys the same type of player?  I really have no idea.

You don't have an idea. We don't have an idea. But BB does and it might change week to week. That is why MG ADP is ridiculous imo. I'd rather take a flyer on Burkhead at his ADP if I wanted a piece of the NE RB group. 

On 9/1/2017 at 9:39 AM, Dirtywater97 said:

40/40/10/10 Gillislee/Burkhead/White/Lewis split is what I'm expecting initially. Someone gets hurt and snaps will be redistributed accordingly. 

16 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

You don't have an idea. We don't have an idea. But BB does and it might change week to week. That is why MG ADP is ridiculous imo. I'd rather take a flyer on Burkhead at his ADP if I wanted a piece of the NE RB group. 

Burkhead really getting a 40% split?  Doesn't the SB performance of White factor into this somehow?  I think the ADPs for Burkhead, White, and Lewis are all attractive values, but the more important thing to decide is whether it's worth filling a bench spot up with any of these guys.  It's basically the same old Russian Roulette.

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Burkhead really getting a 40% split?  Doesn't the SB performance of White factor into this somehow?  I think the ADPs for Burkhead, White, and Lewis are all attractive values, but the more important thing to decide is whether it's worth filling a bench spot up with any of these guys.  It's basically the same old Russian Roulette.

if the really were high on White based on 1 monster game in the SB, do you think they would have brought in Burkhead?  Lewis is also a much better version of White than White, but just hasn't stayed healthy

1 minute ago, CooL said:

He could be. They have more similar skillsets. According to FantasyData, Woodhead's best season in NE(2012), he rushed 76 times for 301 yards and 4 TDs and caught 40 balls on 55 targets for 446 yards and another 3 TDs.

That same season, NE had Welker go for 1300 yards and 6 TDs(Cooks? maybe a TD or two more). Lloyd had 900 and 4(Hogan?). Gronk almost 800 and 11( Add another 100 yards but is it really safe to lock in more than that?). 

I could see James White siphoning a little yardage off of everyone above there to get his, while Burkhead does a little of everything in a 2012 Woodhead type role to grind out 700 and 7.

I think thats a good place to start the over/under.

1 hour ago, burninglegs said:

this whole backfield will be a headache all year IMO

The more I think about it, I think I'm back to what everyone already has always known.  There is no predicting RB Pats usage.  I don't doubt that Burkhead, White, or Lewis will occasionally pop off, but there is no way to predict when that will happen.  White's SB stats were the product of game flow and being down 25 points.  How many times this year will the Pats be down 25?  And even when they are down, is it Burkhead, White, or Lewis?  My guess is some combo of all three as most would say.

Better to leave all 3 not named Gilleslie on the waiver wire.

35 minutes ago, mtblock said:

Agree with everything everyone is saying. Probably gonna drop burkhead for carson when draft waivers clear tomorrow. 

I'm not sure his ceiling is that high and the situation is unpredictable. 

Why do you think Carson's situation is more predicable than Rex Burkhead's? And why do you think Carson's ceiling is higher with Rawls, Lacy and Prosise in the fold? 

Rex Burkhead will lead Patriots running backs in yards from scrimmage.
If he stays healthy.

I see Burkhead playing a big role both on the ground and in the passing game. And he could be the Patriots’ Week 1 lead back based on how well he played in Week 2 of the preseason.

Mike Gillislee is the popular choice, but Burkhead offers more value as a receiver.

https://nesn.com/2017/09/nine-patriots-bold-predictions-who-leads-2017-team-in-receptions/

Burkhead started preseason week 2, Lewis coming next w/ White playing his passing down role (Gillislee out).  In Week 3 Lewis started, Gillislee coming next w/ White playing his passing down role (Burkhead out).  Burkhead is the most  balanced back they have and BB has been preaching versatility all offseason.  He is a better runner than White and a better route runner, blocker, receiver, than Gillislee and Lewis.  I think he will "start" and plays a significant role throughout including slot snaps.  Gillislee will still get GL carries though unless the pace dictates not substituting.

Edited by Euphonetics
Just now, Euphonetics said:

Burkhead started preseason week 2, Lewis coming next w/ White playing his passing down role.  In Week 3 Lewis started w/ Burkhead out, next Gillislee w/ White playing his passing down role.  Burkhead is the most well balanced back they have.  He is a better runner than White and a better route runner, blocker, receiver, than Gillislee and Lewis.  I think he will "start" and plays a significant role throughout.  Gillislee will still get GL carries though unless the pace dictates not substituting.

Carries will likely be 60/40 Gillislee with Burkhead catching passes more often than Gillislee. You'd be silly to think otherwise.

5 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Carries will likely be 60/40 Gillislee with Burkhead catching passes more often than Gillislee. You'd be silly to think otherwise.

Some New England beat writers have projected Burkhead to lead the committee in touches and yards.  It is silly to think in absolutes with this backfield.

Burkhead also has multiple injury pathways to a larger role (eiher White or Gillislee missing time should give him a big bump in usage) whereas the others do not.

Edited by Euphonetics
On 9/1/2017 at 0:38 PM, KennyWoo said:

Skill players who get 60 snaps a game on offense don't play special teams - they are too valuable to risk on making open field tackles.

This doesn't apply to the Pats. For better or for worse.

So Burkhead is going to have more passing opportunities than White?  I always assumed based on White's huge SB that he was much more involved in the game plan, but he truly is a 3rd down guy it seems. 

So hard to know where Burkhead fits into the game plan.  Seems like the best plan is to roster one of them, wait for Thursdays game to decide if you want to keep any of them, then drop and add somebody else.  (At least on Yahoo you can do this.)

10 minutes ago, Euphonetics said:

Some New England beat writers have projected Burkhead to lead the committee in touches and yards.  It is silly to think in absolutes with this backfield.

Burkhead also has multiple injury pathways to a larger role (eiher White or Gillislee missing time should give him a big bump in usage) whereas the others do not.

Beat Writers are not Belichick. But Burkhead could not even beat out the JAG plodder Hill in Cincinatti. And he lost passing downs to Giovanni Bernard. What makes you think he is cut out for a #1 role?