Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Green Bay Packers 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

retaining nick perry is a big win in my eyes. big money but not a huge amount of guaranteed cash so it's escapable.  i thought for sure we wouldn't stave off other suitors. the loss of lang stings a bit but TT seems to not want to pay top dollar for tackles (see stitton last year) and overall the line should stay top notch with barclay or another young guy stepping into lang's old spot. the bennett and kendricks signings are a nice overhaul to the te group and i expect more two te sets with both being good blockers and catchers. it was an unexpected big move we don't normally do though they did say they would be more aggressive this year

 

big need at cb still. hyde isn't a huge loss in my eyes as he's more valuable for returns and versatility than shutting wrs down. all the dbs are replaceable. i would love for them to get in the malcolm butler sweepstakes but i think the price may be too high with the insanely deep corner crop in this year's draft. good draft for d-lineman too so i figure we focus on those two positions as well as lb and maybe sprinkle in a rb and/or a young o-lineman. maybe sign a cheap veteran back later

 

can't afford to waste rodger's remaining years. the tes are a step in the right direction. gotta give him a raise too. we can do that and still get defensive improvements. i think addition by subtracting capers would be wonderful but that likely doesn't happen this year. how i wish they would just let him go. he shoulda been gone a few seasons ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to see what they do at the RB position.  Still some big FA names out there (AP, Blount, JCharles, LatMurray) plus this draft is deep at RB.  I would be surprised if there wasn't some substantial competition brought in for Ty Mont.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I'll still say that given the choice, Rodgers would've kept his OL intact over the TE additions.

 

They are well positioned to move quality players into the center and RG positions.   Linsley was actually the starter over Tretter at center and lost his job to injury.  He already has a pro bowl on his resume.

 

Jason Spriggs can slide into RG.

 

Depth is now the concern.

 

I like the House signing.  Wish Dallas had gotten him over Carroll.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Packdog said:

retaining nick perry is a big win in my eyes. big money but not a huge amount of guaranteed cash so it's escapable.  i thought for sure we wouldn't stave off other suitors. the loss of lang stings a bit but TT seems to not want to pay top dollar for tackles (see stitton last year) and overall the line should stay top notch with barclay or another young guy stepping into lang's old spot. the bennett and kendricks signings are a nice overhaul to the te group and i expect more two te sets with both being good blockers and catchers. it was an unexpected big move we don't normally do though they did say they would be more aggressive this year

 

big need at cb still. hyde isn't a huge loss in my eyes as he's more valuable for returns and versatility than shutting wrs down. all the dbs are replaceable. i would love for them to get in the malcolm butler sweepstakes but i think the price may be too high with the insanely deep corner crop in this year's draft. good draft for d-lineman too so i figure we focus on those two positions as well as lb and maybe sprinkle in a rb and/or a young o-lineman. maybe sign a cheap veteran back later

 

can't afford to waste rodger's remaining years. the tes are a step in the right direction. gotta give him a raise too. we can do that and still get defensive improvements. i think addition by subtracting capers would be wonderful but that likely doesn't happen this year. how i wish they would just let him go. he shoulda been gone a few seasons ago. 

 

I'm not sure how to feel about the Perry signing.  It is a lot of money for a player who has only produced one season.  But he is 27 and maybe something finally clicked with him.  Their pass rush is so pathetic that they really do have roll the dice with him and see how it plays out.  

 

TT does pay top dollar for tackles.  He extended Bahktiari last year and made him a top 5 paid OL in the league.  While it hurt to lose Lang he is 30, coming off back surgery and most likely on the downside of his career.  They can plug someone into his guard position and be fine.  

 

Love the Bennett and Kendricks signings.  

 

This team needs to go out and get Butler.  Giving up a 1st round pick for a proven pro-bowl CB is a no brainer.  Randall and Rollins are horrible.  I don't care how deep the draft is at CB, you still don't know how a player will transition to the NFL.  Go get Butler, pay the man and lock him up.  Then let Randall and Rollins battle for the number 2 CB position if necessary.  

 

Unfortunately Ted will not give up his precious draft picks and the Packers will waste another year of Rodgers career.  Meanwhile, over in Foxboro, the Patriots do what is necessary to compete for another championship.  I believe had Rodgers not fallen into Thompson's lap, he would have lost his job many years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dre said:

 

I'm not sure how to feel about the Perry signing.  It is a lot of money for a player who has only produced one season.  But he is 27 and maybe something finally clicked with him.  Their pass rush is so pathetic that they really do have roll the dice with him and see how it plays out.  

 

TT does pay top dollar for tackles.  He extended Bahktiari last year and made him a top 5 paid OL in the league.  While it hurt to lose Lang he is 30, coming off back surgery and most likely on the downside of his career.  They can plug someone into his guard position and be fine.  

 

Love the Bennett and Kendricks signings.  

 

This team needs to go out and get Butler.  Giving up a 1st round pick for a proven pro-bowl CB is a no brainer.  Randall and Rollins are horrible.  I don't care how deep the draft is at CB, you still don't know how a player will transition to the NFL.  Go get Butler, pay the man and lock him up.  Then let Randall and Rollins battle for the number 2 CB position if necessary.  

 

Unfortunately Ted will not give up his precious draft picks and the Packers will waste another year of Rodgers career.  Meanwhile, over in Foxboro, the Patriots do what is necessary to compete for another championship.  I believe had Rodgers not fallen into Thompson's lap, he would have lost his job many years ago.

 

Seems like you're a Packer fan.

 

Did you think Randall was awful in 2015 when healthy?  I'm willing to completely dismiss last season due to injuries.  Same with Rollins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dre said:

Unfortunately Ted will not give up his precious draft picks and the Packers will waste another year of Rodgers career.  Meanwhile, over in Foxboro, the Patriots do what is necessary to compete for another championship. 

This was my contention before last year's postseason in a holiday debate I had with family members, who defected to Minocqua, WI a few years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

Seems like you're a Packer fan.

 

Did you think Randall was awful in 2015 when healthy?  I'm willing to completely dismiss last season due to injuries.  Same with Rollins.

 

Yup, I'm a Packers fan.  But I'm slowly transitioning to becoming a Pats fan because they know what it takes to build a championship team.  haha

 

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from, especially when it comes to Randall.  But I'm still salty about Rollins.  I didn't like the pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, psygolf said:

This was my contention before last year's postseason in a holiday debate I had with family members, who defected to Minocqua, WI a few years ago.

 

My friends and I complain about it all the time but to only have two SBs to show for the careers of Favre and Rodgers is a shame.  Yes, I understand that as Packers fans we are spoiled and should be grateful that our team is "in it" each year.  But is that the goal?  

 

I love the Minocqua area.  Vacation up there every year.  Can't wait to go up there this summer.  Is it summer yet?  haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dre said:

 

My friends and I complain about it all the time but to only have two SBs to show for the careers of Favre and Rodgers is a shame.  Yes, I understand that as Packers fans we are spoiled and should be grateful that our team is "in it" each year.  But is that the goal?  

 

I love the Minocqua area.  Vacation up there every year.  Can't wait to go up there this summer.  Is it summer yet?  haha

I need to try that Zipline park the next time I visit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, psygolf said:

I need to try that Zipline park the next time I visit.

 

I'll have to look that up, sounds fun.

 

Back on topic.  It is obvious the Packers need help on defense, so what can TT do at this point to improve that D? 

1) Sign Connor Barwin.  He could be a replacement for Peppers.  Nothing flashy, but much needed depth.

2) Move Matthews to ILB permanently.  Let's face it, Matthews isn't the player he used to be.  When he's at OLB, he basically tries to get around the edge to get to the QB.  When he doesn't, which is pretty much all the time, he runs himself right out of the play.  He isn't worth the money he is being paid and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him traded to fill a need elsewhere.  

3) Sign Zack Brown.  You can never have too many good LBs in a 3-4.  Right now the LBs the Packers have are average to below-average; Matthews - meh, Nick Perry - hopeful he continues to imrove, Jake Ryan - poor man's AJ Hawk; Joe Thomas - showed promise, Blake Martinez - meh, Jayrone Elliott - meh

4) Sign Malcolm Butler - Obviously they can't sign Butler, Barwin and Brown.  If I had to choose for them to sign any of those guys it would be Butler.  CB is their biggest need IMO and Butler would immediately improve their defense.  The WRs they have to face this year are brutal; AJ Green, Dez, A. Brown, Julio, M. Evans & D. Jax.  Without a corner who can keep up with those guys or a consistent pass rush, it will be a long day for the defense again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dre said:

 

I'm not sure how to feel about the Perry signing.  It is a lot of money for a player who has only produced one season.  But he is 27 and maybe something finally clicked with him.  Their pass rush is so pathetic that they really do have roll the dice with him and see how it plays out.  

 

TT does pay top dollar for tackles.  He extended Bahktiari last year and made him a top 5 paid OL in the league.  While it hurt to lose Lang he is 30, coming off back surgery and most likely on the downside of his career.  They can plug someone into his guard position and be fine.  

 

Love the Bennett and Kendricks signings.  

 

This team needs to go out and get Butler.  Giving up a 1st round pick for a proven pro-bowl CB is a no brainer.  Randall and Rollins are horrible.  I don't care how deep the draft is at CB, you still don't know how a player will transition to the NFL.  Go get Butler, pay the man and lock him up.  Then let Randall and Rollins battle for the number 2 CB position if necessary.  

 

Unfortunately Ted will not give up his precious draft picks and the Packers will waste another year of Rodgers career.  Meanwhile, over in Foxboro, the Patriots do what is necessary to compete for another championship.  I believe had Rodgers not fallen into Thompson's lap, he would have lost his job many years ago.

the perry deal isn't too much of a commitment. could dump him in 2018 and actually gain cap space that year. big first year with a 20m cause of the signing bonus but only counts 6m against cap. 2019 is when the numbers rise. hopefully it keeps him motivated to continue to improve

 

and, yeah, we paid the left tackle. sorry, i mistook tackle for guard in the op. we extended bahktiari after releasing stitton and i think the draft picks last year were always the plan. spriggs and murphy were intended to eventually replace guys as lang, stitton, bahktiari, tretter, barclay and rotherham were hitting FA in a year

 

and as much as i would love them to go get butler it most likely isn't gonna happen. for one, i doubt the packers would wanna pay what it takes on an extension for an outsider on top of a 1st round pick. second, i doubt butler would want to come to GB. he seems most interested in NO. we can dream for a little while though. however, it's not the end of the world. there is a plethora of quality corners in this draft. even from where the pack pick they could be viewing guys that could be available as a mid-upper 1st rounders in a different year

 

and i don't harp on TT as much as other fans. he's kinda restricted due to locale and the stubborn philosophy does have it's merits and FAs aren't clamoring to go there anyway.  in my opinion getting rid of capers and a return to a 4-3 defense would do wonders for this team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Packdog said:

the perry deal isn't too much of a commitment. could dump him in 2018 and actually gain cap space that year. big first year with a 20m cause of the signing bonus but only counts 6m against cap. 2019 is when the numbers rise. hopefully it keeps him motivated to continue to improve

 

and, yeah, we paid the left tackle. sorry, i mistook tackle for guard in the op. we extended bahktiari after releasing stitton and i think the draft picks last year were always the plan. spriggs and murphy were intended to eventually replace guys as lang, stitton, bahktiari, tretter, barclay and rotherham were hitting FA in a year

 

and as much as i would love them to go get butler it most likely isn't gonna happen. for one, i doubt the packers would wanna pay what it takes on an extension for an outsider on top of a 1st round pick. second, i doubt butler would want to come to GB. he seems most interested in NO. we can dream for a little while though. however, it's not the end of the world. there is a plethora of quality corners in this draft. even from where the pack pick they could be viewing guys that could be available as a mid-upper 1st rounders in a different year

 

and i don't harp on TT as much as other fans. he's kinda restricted due to locale and the stubborn philosophy does have it's merits and FAs aren't clamoring to go there anyway.  in my opinion getting rid of capers and a return to a 4-3 defense would do wonders for this team. 

 

Good points.  Can't argue against them too much.  My only argument would be against TT.  He is stubborn to a fault with his "draft and develop" philosophy.  I don't want the Packers to turn into the Redskins when it comes to signing any and all FAs.  But when you have a team this close and a couple of obvious needs, go out and sign a big name FA.  And I'm not sure I agree with you that most FAs wouldn't want to come to GB.  Players will go where the money is.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

 

Seems like you're a Packer fan.

 

Did you think Randall was awful in 2015 when healthy?  I'm willing to completely dismiss last season due to injuries.  Same with Rollins.

the problem with all our corners is they are kinda slow. they can be serviceable at times but as a group they are just way too sluggish. no way they can compete with slightly above average wr cores. the house signing was good for deph but he alone is not gonna fix what ails this group. we need athleticism and speed. i wouldn't be surprised if they took cb back to back with first couple draft picks

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Packdog said:

i don't harp on TT as much as other fans. he's kinda restricted due to locale and the stubborn philosophy does have it's merits and FAs aren't clamoring to go there anyway. 

So are we saying the "quality of life" GB score is what is keeping FAs from joining the team?  ...not that I disagree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, psygolf said:

So are we saying the "quality of life" GB score is what is keeping FAs from joining the team?  ...not that I disagree.

to an extent. it's not the only factor but it's been well assumed that locale can dissuade a FA in sports. combined with the frugality it makes big name FAs rare. not a lot are gonna sign there simply for a chance to compete as there will be half a dozen or more teams in a similar spot with a similar (or better) offer that have higher quality of life aspects, like weather or even an exciting urban center with a nightlife. unless a FA is really into bowling i don't see the appeal if a similar deal can be had elsewhere. been hard even keeping out own the last 3-4 years. not that a decent city life and weather makes it all the more advantageous. my dolphins broke the bank often and the results were pitiful most years. 

Edited by Packdog
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2017 at 9:45 AM, Packdog said:

 

big need at cb still...good draft for d-lineman too so i figure we focus on those two positions as well as lb and maybe sprinkle in a rb and/or a young o-lineman. maybe sign a cheap veteran back later

 

 

 

On 3/14/2017 at 3:20 PM, Packdog said:

the problem with all our corners is they are kinda slow...we need athleticism and speed. i wouldn't be surprised if they took cb back to back with first couple draft picks

 

all in all a fairly decent draft and quite predictable. the secondary being addressed with the first two picks was welcomed by me and it does add the much needed speed. versatile and good size players in kevin king and josh jones. along the dline we also got speed again in montravious adams at a decent value. i like it. vince beigel fills the LB need and could find the field sooner rather than later for some pass rush. he was underrated (overshadowed by watt?) and love getting the local kid on our team.

 

jaamal williams was exactly the kind of back i was hoping they would get after addressing other needs. aggressive, powerful and can wear down a defense. he should compliment ty well. they went and grabbed two more backs late and aaron jones could see action as he is faster and more elusive back than williams, but lacks the power. the power and speed combos could give them both a role early as giving ty more than 10 carries a game is not ideal. for fantasy purposes this has rbbc written all over it as it stands. i doubt we go hard after a vet after taking three backs in the draft.

 

the signing of jahri evans before the draft made guard less of a pressing need but TT usually grabs one and he got one in kofi amichia to develop in the usual tackle mold. taking the wrs is also a staple so no surprise there. between deanagelo yancy and malachi dupre it will put some heat on allison, janis and davis. dupre is intriguing as he had atrocious qb play at lsu. 

 

overall i am pretty happy. gonna need contributions from the secondary players right away though. if they don't adjust to the pros quickly it could be rough on defense again this year. but smart picks at needs with good value. can't complain too much

Edited by Packdog
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Packdog said:

Jaamal williams was exactly the kind of back i was hoping they would get after addressing other needs. aggressive, powerful and can wear down a defense. he should compliment ty well.

 

gonna need contributions from the secondary players right away though. if they don't adjust to the pros quickly it could be rough on defense again this year. but smart picks at needs with good value. can't complain too much

 

I would have thought the Pack was out to replace TyMont as the main RB, but now with the draft results it seems like he's clearly #1. 

 

The secondary will receive tutelage from MBurnett. Considering how often he's been injured the last two seasons, I imagine he'll do some of this teaching from the sidelines this season.

 

I'm more excited about the addition of MBennett than the draft results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Bret Farve is out of the league but I just heard the story of him asking backup  QB Ty Detmer "what is a nickel defense?"

 

 
*He was in his sophomore season when he asked.*

"Finally, I said, 'I just gotta know.' So I said, 'Ty, I gotta ask you a question.' And Ty was about as goofy as I was. 

"He says, 'What's that?' 

"I said, 'What's a nickel defense?' 

"He gets real quiet. He says, 'Are you serious?' 

";Yeah, I'm serious.' 

"He says, 'Well, they basically take out a linebacker and bring in a DB.' 

"I said, 'That's it?'

"He said, 'That's it.'

"I said, 'Who gives a s--t?'"

Well played, Brett. Well played, indeed.

 

 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/watch-packers-legend-brett-favre-had-to-ask-his-backup-what-a-nickel-defense-was/amp/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...