NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ezekiel Elliott 2017 Season Outlook

The leak about reduced sentence screams a league by the league.

Basically them counting on him catching wind and pursuing that outcome, rather than realizing it really should be an all or nothing sort of thing.

Only things that worries me is that leak could ensure this becomes a protracted battle.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

I know it makes no sense, and I hate any advice from the small man Adam Schefter as I think he's wrong so many times and just looking to be the first one to break a story, but I'm hopeful.  

Let's put the legal/social politics aside...if Zeke has a 2 game suspension, where does he go?  If it's 3?  Or 4?  I think a 2 game suspension, he's be right back to being 3rd overall pick.  3 or 4 for me would be picks 8-14.

Any kind of suspension, I still take AB over him. Especially in PPR. 

In standard leagues, I think you could make the argument you take him at 3. 

Why do you think the Organization is standing firmly behind Zeke because it is BS. They have the girl sending out text that she fabricated everything trying to set him up he probably kicked her to curb imo there is no real substance and this will get reduced or completely eliminated. I drafted DJ and got Zeke on the turn and ended up with a solid team in 12 teamer. If you havent drafted yet better get him in the second its a no brainer. 

Let's not presume zeke is an angel tho, I agree her character is in question but zeke hasn't helped himself any either. But still this case needs a true investigation where everything is considered and needs to be looked at thoroughly. If he's found guilty then you take action but until then you just let the kid play for now since you can't just presume he did this. 

2 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

I think there might be some clarity by end of day today or tomorrow. 

Here's hoping...Two more drafts this weekend and I would love to see some clarity. I already took the plunge at 18th overall in a 12-team league and am really looking forward to being done with this topic (at least until he starts playing and we have stuff to post about). 

I don't even care if it gets upheld so much as I care about all this waiting

yeah. reducing it seems really dumb. But I guess that doesn't mean they won't.

Reducing for say, Deflategate, I get that. You can say, "well, we think he deflated balls but we made a bigger deal of it than we probably should have".

You can't really say it's not that big of a deal that a football player hit a woman.

It's a big deal and if he truly is innocent he wouldn't be keen to accept a reduction even if the NFL offered it which I agree is stupid because it's way different than Brady messing with footballs. That said, he may also figure that even if he somehow gets it overturned completely he will probably never escape the stigma of being a woman beater so he might as well just take the reduction and get it over with. A lose-lose for him and which is why any woman who accuses a man of assault in any fashion better be telling the truth because even being accused is enough to ruin someone's reputation.

Edited by TedStriker
55 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Reducing for say, Deflategate, I get that. You can say, "well, we think he deflated balls but we made a bigger deal of it than we probably should have".

You can't really say it's not that big of a deal that a football player hit a woman.

Yeah, domestic violence in a completely different stratosphere. The NFL desperately wants to send a message after repeatedly botching the issue. 

Also on the issue of Brady - and sorry for getting slightly off-topic - the popular argument that "deflated balls didn't make a difference" was such a red herring. It was the intent to cheat (and accompanying belief that they would lead to an advantage) that was troubling. No one would care if the balls were deflated as a result of negligence. 

In my view Brady's suspension was appropriate. With that in mind, if there is sufficient evidence a football player beat a woman, he should be banned for life. That is subhuman behavior. The problem is that the NFL's evidentiary standards are so low, they can't adopt such a punitive scheme without bad publicity/backlash/legal trouble. 

Edited by Rainyy

If you have first pick you got David Johnson and then when it gets back to you you grab zeke and a running back like Lamar miller or you can go beat available wide out with the first pick in the third. I went David Johnson Lamar miller and zeke and my team turned out great surprisingly first time j ever drafted like that. And if he gets reduced sentence you hit gold. In mean time just draft McFadden in the 7-8round and you got a pretty good running back also

I reached for him really hard last night and I'm hoping he gets a reduction. Guess we will find out Monday according to reports.  They are saying Henderson is being pressured into making a decision. Sounds like he may only get 2-4 games instead of the 6. 

2 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

They are saying Henderson is being pressured into making a decision. Sounds like he may only get 2-4 games instead of the 6. 

Can you share where you found this?

Edited by omnom1337
4 minutes ago, omnom1337 said:

Can you share where you found this?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports appeals officer Harold Henderson is "under pressure" to reach a decision in Ezekiel Elliott's case by Monday.
It's unclear who is applying the pressure. Presumably everybody. These NFL sagas have a way of blowing past supposed deadlines, but Monday is a fair bet in Elliott's instance. The Cowboys need to plan, one way or the other. Unfortunately, Monday will be too late for the vast majority of fantasy owners. Aug 31 - 1:33 PM
1 minute ago, dlionsfan901 said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports appeals officer Harold Henderson is "under pressure" to reach a decision in Ezekiel Elliott's case by Monday.
It's unclear who is applying the pressure. Presumably everybody. These NFL sagas have a way of blowing past supposed deadlines, but Monday is a fair bet in Elliott's instance. The Cowboys need to plan, one way or the other. Unfortunately, Monday will be too late for the vast majority of fantasy owners. Aug 31 - 1:33 PM

Thank you

Disappointing it's coming Monday - I already have him in one league and don't need to deal with the gamble again for my other two drafts this weekend if he happens to fall to me.

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys expect Ezekiel Elliott to be available for Week 1 if his appeal has not been decided by 4PM ET on Tuesday.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier Thursday that arbiter Harold Henderson is under pressure to reach a decision by Monday. There's a scenario where Elliott plays Week 1 but then his ban takes effect in Week 2.

Could we see him out there for SNF against the Giants??

I have my draft on Sunday night. Call me crazy but I'm very tempted to grab him 5th overall with the talks of him getting a reduced suspension. I know he will most likely be taking it to court if the suspension isn't dropped completely, but taking risks in fantasy can win you championships and I feel confident enough to be able to cover my a** during the rest of the draft and season in the event it doesn't work out as planned.

14 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I agree going 1st round would be pretty clownish considering all those other options have almost no question marks in comparison to Elliott. 

Pretty sweeping generalization.  What if your choice at the end of the first round is Jordan Howard, Ajayi, or a second tier WR?  

Lots of people here blasting anybody willing to take Zeke above where he is valued currently with a 6 game suspension.  News for all of them, if you wait until you hear that the suspension is reduced or even tabled until next season, you aren't going to be getting any discount and he's going to go #3 again.  So if you want him, you have to be willing to take a gamble.

• phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unlocked this topic