NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ezekiel Elliott 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Oh lawd. Can someone explain like I'm five what's going on here?

• Appeal is over
  • Director of NFL Investigations recommended no suspension (and something about their comments wasn't submitted to the NFL when the suspension was handed down
  • Some reliable sources are thinking suspension is overturned or at least reduced
  • NHLPA files in court for an injunction to delay the suspension until all investigation is completed IF the suspension was to stand
  • The decision from NFL is being pushed to be released by Monday

6 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

What makes people think he's a better bet to not miss time anymore?

Its trending that way.

The NFL is all about ratings, $$$.

"America's team, The Cowboys" will generate more ratings with Zeke playing than not.

2 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Its trending that way.

The NFL is all about ratings, $$$.

"America's team, The Cowboys" will generate more ratings with Zeke playing than not.

Well if that were truly the case why slap him with a 6 game ban to begin with? I honestly haven't been following this case too closely.

14 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Well if that were truly the case why slap him with a 6 game ban to begin with? I honestly haven't been following this case too closely.

Well, we dont know whats really going on behind closed doors and we'll never know.

Jerry Jones, never under estimate him.

Edited by Gryfter
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:52 PM, Dylanfan66 said:

My final "hot take" on this.  Zeke will play the entire season.  And it will drag out Tom Brady style.  Draft at your own risk.

Told you guys this was going to happen or something similar.  There was no way this was going to stand as it was. Too many holes. I got him in the 3rd round in one draft.  The one tomorrow who knows.  I have the 9th pick. Doubt I get him now there.

A lot of optimism here, maybe rightfully so, I admit to not completely understanding of all the legal proceedings.

But to play devil's advocate - what's the worst case scenario as things stand right now for Zeke's fantasy prospects this year? Is it possible that he files an injunction and plays for a game or two or more, then it comes down that the suspension is completely upheld and he serves 6 weeks during the fantasy playoffs? Is the worst case scenario right now simply serving the 6 games? Or is someone out there confident that the worst case scenario is less than that - say 4 games?

It's not even really legal proceedings at this point but rather the NFL's kangaroo court with lead jester Goodell. They can quite literally impose whatever they want but I'd assume 6 games is worst case scenario, but like you mentioned who knows when that plays out...

10 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

But to play devil's advocate - what's the worst case scenario as things stand right now for Zeke's fantasy prospects this year?

Worst case I'd say is there's no reduction to his suspension, he sues, and Roger puts him on the Exempt list all year until the courts sort it out.

I hope he stays suspended for 6 games.

Yes getting it removed is fair and I think the right thing. However, I'd be salty that I didn't draft him so the suspension better damn stay.

Edited by Gohawks

Still confused. As a fantasy football owner of Zeke I'm happy, but didn't Brady already go after the NFL in court trying to sue them on the grounds that their appeal's policy is bogus? Brady lost that court battle. How can the NFLPA ask for block against this suspension because they think the appeals process is bogus? There's already a precedent in court that Goodell can act and do as he pleases. 

Still don't think we should PLAN on having Zeke for all 16, think this is still cloudy water.

53 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Worst case I'd say is there's no reduction to his suspension, he sues, and Roger puts him on the Exempt list all year until the courts sort it out.

He has to agree to the Commissioner's exempt list. After Peterson and Hardy were left on it for so long, I don't believe he would agree to be placed on it.

Worst case obvious scenario is that the suspension is not reduced but instead delayed to effect the fantasy playoffs.

Altogether worst case scenario is that another allegation comes forward.

2 minutes ago, irvnasty said:

He has to agree to the Commissioner's exempt list. After Peterson and Hardy were left on it for so long, I don't believe he would agree to be placed on it.

Worst case obvious scenario is that the suspension is not reduced but instead delayed to effect the fantasy playoffs.

Altogether worst case scenario is that another allegation comes forward.

I don't believe that's true. Just tried to look online and it doesn't seem like the player has any control on whether he goes on the exempt list. There was even an arbitrator ruling at how Goodell is allowed to use said power and list to do his bidding.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/11/arbitrator-upholds-nfls-use-of-commissioners-exempt-list/

2 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I don't believe that's true. Just tried to look online and it doesn't seem like the player has any control on whether he goes on the exempt list. There was even an arbitrator ruling at how Goodell is allowed to use said power and list to do his bidding.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/11/arbitrator-upholds-nfls-use-of-commissioners-exempt-list/

You're correct. I was mistaken.

It seems that, at least in the cases of Vick, Peterson, and Josh Brown, the TEAM communicated with the NFL about the course of action. Whether the team technically has a say, or whether that was simply a sort of courtesy by the league I can't tell from five minutes of Google research. 

It's certainly trending as though he will either have his suspension reduced, delayed (like Brady 2015) or altogether removed.  I honestly don't see how you can let this guy fall out of the first round after what we know now.  I'd be much happier with a top 2 pick so I don't have to make that decision, but anywhere after DJ and Le'Veon, this guy is well above replacement level and warrants consideration.  

The obvious draw back is that there is still plenty of risk involved that he will sit games.

Needless to say, I'm very grateful my highest stakes league doesn't draft until next wednesday.  I don't blame any fantasy owner right now who is livid over this, because a guy like Elliott falling to the late second or early 3rd like he has for a few weeks would be an absolute league winner for someone that drafted DJ, Le'Veon, Antonio Brown or Julio and then gets Elliott for all 16 games. I'm sure there are plenty of those instances across fantasy leagues, and if I was playing for a lot of money that would not sit well with me right now.

Edited by Trifecta
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat locked and unlocked this topic