NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Nelson Cruz 2017 Outlook

midlip

Just read through half of the 2016 thread before realizing I wasn't reading 2017.....

What am I missing here?  This guy seems criminally undervalued for seemingly a 35/100 lock (assuming health)

Yes, 36, but he will DH this season and I project that keeping him healthier and I also think the Mariners lineup is better this year (Segura), which should help his RBI numbers

I've said this in other threads, but I like him as OF7 ahead of guys like:

- Stanton

- JDM

- Marte

- Braun 

Also looks like an ideal third rounder 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steady, super productive old guy who people will stay away from because they are afraid this is the year he drops off a cliff. No sign of that at all but still, that's why he is undervalued. I love the guy, but don't pick until the 5th round, I know he won't be around.

A perennial performer who's showing no signs of slowing. The lineup around him is improved this year and he's a lock for your predictions. I always love to take advantage of the stigma around older players; Cruz and Ortiz nearly won me a championship last year.

5 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Steady, super productive old guy who people will stay away from because they are afraid this is the year he drops off a cliff. No sign of that at all but still, that's why he is undervalued. I love the guy, but don't pick until the 5th round, I know he won't be around.

Less than 0% chance you get him in the 5th....

I'm targeting in the 3rd and dont see any reason why that's overpaying 

Just now, midlip said:

Less than 0% chance you get him in the 5th....

I'm targeting in the 3rd and dont see any reason why that's overpaying 

It's not overpaying at all. I'm in a keeper (keep 6, but I'm only keeping 4) and the guy who has the new team will more than likely pick him with one of his first 4 picks that he has unchallenged. The guy is criminally underrated. In fact, I have no idea why the guy who owned him last year is not keeping him. But heck, I'm not saying anything...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2017 at 11:39 AM, midlip said:

Just read through half of the 2016 thread before realizing I wasn't reading 2017.....

What am I missing here?  This guy seems criminally undervalued for seemingly a 35/100 lock (assuming health)

Yes, 36, but he will DH this season and I project that keeping him healthier and I also think the Mariners lineup is better this year (Segura), which should help his RBI numbers

I've said this in other threads, but I like him as OF7 ahead of guys like:

- Stanton

- JDM

- Marte

- Braun 

Also looks like an ideal third rounder 

Agreed. With Springer's struggle to steal bases and his streakiness, you might want to add him to that list too. Cespedes and CarGo too.

Watch, this is the year he declines, but he has hit 40 HRs three years in a row, increased his walk rate.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, RedRaider27 said:

Gosh darn it, I finally draft him and he's off to this very slow start. I'm not jumping to conclusions 5 or 6 games in, but man, he looks awful out there right now.

Just missed a HR on first AB tonight.  Also, Week 1......Week 1....

1 minute ago, RedRaider27 said:

Gosh darn it, I finally draft him and he's off to this very slow start. I'm not jumping to conclusions 5 or 6 games in, but man, he looks awful out there right now.

He looks like he's having trouble seeing the ball or something.  He's just missing everything.

I guess this is what the Ms offense would look like without Cano, Cruz & Seager, cause those 3 have done nothing so far.

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

He looks like he's having trouble seeing the ball or something.  He's just missing everything.

I guess this is what the Ms offense would look like without Cano, Cruz & Seager, cause those 3 have done nothing so far.

Yeah, I think he'll come around eventually, might just take some time. As an Angels fan, I definitely don't mind the M's starting slow, but it would be nice to see Cruz hitting a little at least.

1 minute ago, RedRaider27 said:

Yeah, I think he'll come around eventually, might just take some time. As an Angels fan, I definitely don't mind the M's starting slow, but it would be nice to see Cruz hitting a little at least.

Getting mowed over by Ricky Nolasco is pretty nauseating.

The only issue with this beast is when does age catch up?  

Drafting this guy was like playing Russian roulette. 

His ADP was too high.  There wasn't any discount with regards to his age.

Just now, B&F said:

The only issue with this beast is when does age catch up?  

Drafting this guy was like playing Russian roulette. 

His ADP was too high.  There wasn't any discount with regards to his age.

There are no signs from the previous three years that his skills are deteriorating. I think it's just a bad week. He'll be fine.