Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mark Ingram 2017 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

 

In the limited amount of Saints game I've watched this year, I don't think the playing time is split up as simply as Ingram is the early down back and Kamara is the 3rd down back.  I think both are used in specific packages throughout the game according to matchups and feel.  M

 

Yeah I agree, I don't think it is like a 1st/2nd and 3rd down back split.  I think it is likely Kamara is going to be used more in games when they are behind, on all downs.  Both the games so far since the AP trade have had a game script that, imo, benefits Ingram's usage.  I think they both have some touches guaranteed, what I'm 'nervous' about is how many of Ingram's touches these last two weeks are actually in limbo.  If Ingram's usage is game script dependent I think the Saints schedule favors Ingram.  I'm taking what you say into mind though for observing the coming games, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chwf3rd @Most Guruist I get the feel that in a neutral scenario, Ingram is the lead back with Kamara as COP. Kamara gets increased snaps when playing catchup, while Ingram will get the majority of touches in games that the Saints are trying to control (not just killing clock). The only thing that I see being consistent going forward is that Ingram will get snaps inside the 5, considering he can be utilized for anything from a dive to a pass. They will likely see a somewhat even amount of snaps in the 5-15 yard territory, but I can't see the Saints putting Kamara in when they can threaten a dive inside the 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ingram & Kamara are both solid options. Ingram will also get some 3rd down work same as Kamara will come in on early downs some. It depends on the game flow and defense as others in this thread have said. Having said that Ingram is the lead dog in this backfield and is the finisher late game. The saints o-line is much improved with Armstead our LT back. I think Ingram and Kamara are weekly starts. With Ingram having an overall higher floor/ceiling (top 5-8 RB rest of season) & Kamara being a real solid RB2 with RB1 upside some weeks. If you own one I'd strongly recommend trying to obtain the other for security of injury. 

Edited by Breesus
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Breesus said:

If you own one I'd strongly recommend trying to obtain the other for security of injury.

No. You need to obtain both because both are great RB2 with RB1 upside; and if one is injured, it will even increase the value of the other one.

Not security: value and forward planning. Note the subtle difference in strategy there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

No. You need to obtain both because both are great RB2 with RB1 upside; and if one is injured, it will even increase the value of the other one.

Not security: value and forward planning. Note the subtle difference in strategy there.

Good point I completely agree except Ingram is not an RB2 with upside he is a legit RB1 RoS. But yes you should try to own both for their own value not just injury handcuff 

Edited by Breesus
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gabes said:

The only thing that I see being consistent going forward is that Ingram will get snaps inside the 5, considering he can be utilized for anything from a dive to a pass. They will likely see a somewhat even amount of snaps in the 5-15 yard territory, but I can't see the Saints putting Kamara in when they can threaten a dive inside the 5.

 

Kamara got a goal line carry last week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

Kamara got a goal line carry last week. 

Actually he got 2:

Date

Alvin

Mark

22/10/2017

2

1

15/10/2017

1

6

01/10/2017

2

1

24/09/2017

 

1

17/09/2017

 

1

11/09/2017

2

2

Grand Total

7

12

 

If you take out the one week where Ingram got 6 GL carries (for 2 TD) it's actually remarkably even. Even more remarkable because Ingram had 3 TD in total and Kamara none.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Why would we take out the week Ingram got 6?

 

Week 6 is an outlier. It's interesting in the overall picture, but it's also important to see the picture without this outlier, because it may have been  a one-time experiment of the coaches. At least it wasn't repeated the week after.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

 

Week 6 is an outlier. It's interesting in the overall picture, but it's also important to see the picture without this outlier, because it may have been  a one-time experiment of the coaches. At least it wasn't repeated the week after.

 

Week 6, first game without Adrian Peterson and Ingram goes ham on everybody

 

The next week without ap on the road, 100+ and a TD.

 

Over 20 touches per game without AP, ingram is a safe RB1.

 

Ingram is the man in this offense and kamara aint far behind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Why would we take out the week Ingram got 6? Just to pretend you have a point?

 

You don't need to take out that week, but just the fact that Kamara is getting GL carries at all shows this isn't your typical early down/third down RB rotation where one is your short yardage hammer and gets all those looks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

put this kid on the Stillers or the Chargers or the Rams or the Jags or the Chiefs or the Bills (see a pattern here?) and you prolly have the #1 magick foosball scoring player.

 

i own Kamara in all three of my leagues, and, man ... just give Ingram 50% of what AK41 is glomming, and we talkin' epic scoring. 

 

gl rest of the way to all ?

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

 

Week 6 is an outlier. It's interesting in the overall picture, but it's also important to see the picture without this outlier, because it may have been  a one-time experiment of the coaches. At least it wasn't repeated the week after.

 

It’s not “remarkably close”. It’s not close. Ingram has much more GL carries. He is and should be considered the GL back. Period end of story. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

 

It’s not “remarkably close”. It’s not close. Ingram has much more GL carries. He is and should be considered the GL back. Period end of story. 

 

Interpret it how you want.

Date

Alvin

Mark

22/10/2017

2

1

15/10/2017

1

6

01/10/2017

2

1

24/09/2017

 

1

17/09/2017

 

1

11/09/2017

2

2

Grand Total

7

12

Link to post
Share on other sites

who else is worried about the consequences of those two lost fumbles? Payton was pretty livid.......

The way Kamara is playing combined with the awkward relationship history between Payton and Ingram.....I'm a tad concerned about how this will effect his workload/1A backfield status

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

who else is worried about the consequences of those two lost fumbles? Payton was pretty livid.......

The way Kamara is playing combined with the awkward relationship history between Payton and Ingram.....I'm a tad concerned about how this will effect his workload/1A backfield status

 

 

Hard to say they are winning their division and they are doing it running the ball vs having to throw it the entire game. Payton cant just bench the guy because the runnong game is working so well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dashoe said:

 

 

Hard to say they are winning their division and they are doing it running the ball vs having to throw it the entire game. Payton cant just bench the guy because the runnong game is working so well.

devil's advocate.....coaches HATE ball security issues, and that second fumble led to an opportunity for Chi to send the game into OT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...