NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mark Ingram 2017 Season Outlook

36 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

They did and he was on the bench

Yeah he finished the game on the bench. I'm not worried. He hates fumbling more than Payton. He rarely does it. He showed his frustration and apologized to the team publicly. He's their only big back and Payton needs him. If Payton tries to move Kamara to a bellcow I can see him breaking down quickly. 

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Travdaddy10 said:

Yeah he finished the game on the bench. I'm not worried. He hates fumbling more than Payton. He rarely does it. He showed his frustration and apologized to the team publicly. He's their only big back and Payton needs him. If Payton tries to move Kamara to a bellcow I can see him breaking down quickly. 

Espn:

Ingram 5'-9" 215

Kamara 5'-10" 215

12 minutes ago, Travdaddy10 said:

Yeah he finished the game on the bench. I'm not worried. He hates fumbling more than Payton. He rarely does it. He showed his frustration and apologized to the team publicly. He's their only big back and Payton needs him. If Payton tries to move Kamara to a bellcow I can see him breaking down quickly. 

That's not really accurate. He's lost 5 fumbles in 2016-17 now, spanning 23 games. That's a lot and way too much. He got benched last year for Tim Hightower for fumbling. Pretty sure he was benched for amost an entire game. 

51 minutes ago, Travdaddy10 said:

If Payton tries to move Kamara to a bellcow I can see him breaking down quickly. 

What makes you say that? Dude looks pretty damn solid between the tackles, weighs 215, his legs are thick as tree trunks. 

32 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

That's not really accurate. He's lost 5 fumbles in 2016-17 now, spanning 23 games. That's a lot and way too much. He got benched last year for Tim Hightower for fumbling. Pretty sure he was benched for amost an entire game. 

He was, its not like those fumbles happened in 5 different games. I know it is no excuse for the fumbles but he had 2 fumbles before hightower took over and 2 in the game last sunday so 4 out of 5 were in 2 games. Still no excuse but everyone has bad games.

57 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

He fumbled late in the 4th quarter against KC when the game was on the line in 2016. Early in the 1st quarter of the following game he fumbled again and was benched for the remainder of that game. He didn't let the ball touch the ground again the remainder of 2016. He actually had 158 yards rushing on 15 carries the game after being benched. He doesn't need a ton of volume to do damage, especially against TB.

He has had a couple of seasons without any fumbles but has avg. 1-2 per season throughout his career. Nothing to lead anyone to say he has a ball protection problem. IMO, the most likely outcome is they talk to him this week and then try to keep doing what has been working the last few weeks. If he drops it again then he'll almost certainly end up on the bench and then who knows what the weekly split will become.

5 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Pretty sure we will see a 60% Kamara and 40% Ingram split. Both viable plays, but Ingram not the elite RB1 for a few weeks. He'll probably get his chance in a few weeks.

There is nothing to back this claim up. Ingram has already stated how he "sucked". He will bounce back and not lose touches. An angry Mark Ingram running is the best Mark Ingram. I expect the split to stay roughly the same depending on game flow 

1 hour ago, Breesus said:

There is nothing to back this claim up. Ingram has already stated how he "sucked". He will bounce back and not lose touches. An angry Mark Ingram running is the best Mark Ingram. I expect the split to stay roughly the same depending on game flow 

The only claim I have is last year when Hightower took over for a few games. It's possible. Don't be in complete denial. You sound like you are.

Regardless, in the end owners are left with ONLY one option....Start him, live with the outcome, and asses the situation following the game. No, it's not ideal, but again, there is no other option. Trading him for anything less than his current worth (Which I'd argue is a top 5-6 PPR RB) would be foolishness. 

Ingram won't be benched. He will just lose 30% of his carries, and likely any goal line work. For a week or two at least.

Edit: unless Kamara proves he isn't capable of handling it. That will bring Ingram back earlier. Although if he excels, Ingram will likely be worked back in very slowly.

Edited by Onion
51 minutes ago, Most Guruist said:

These past 3 weeks Saints have passed on 49% of offensive plays compared to around 63% these past few seasons and 57% so far in 2017.  Do they handle the Bucs pretty well this week?

Should be a closer game than people think. Division games then to be.

Saints should win this game. They probably won't need to throw that much either.

everyone R-E-L-A-X

Ingram will still be a work horse. They are on a 5 game winning streak. Why fix something when it is not completely broken? yes, he did fumble 4 times past 2 games, 3 which resulted for a loss. But they are winning with the run strategy. we get it, alvin Kamara is good but he is a rookie. Sean will be wise not to wear his special player down towards the stretch before the playoffs.

kamara will get the majority of touches first quarter, but he will cede back touches to Ingram after.

Coach Sean Payton said he's sure Mark Ingram will bounce back from his two late-game fumbles against the Bears in Week 8.

Payton didn't take the matter lightly, however. "You're carrying the ball and you're carrying the team's hopes and dreams," Payton said of Ingram's fumbles. "I'm sure he'll respond. I know he was disappointed and upset. I was upset." Ingram lost both fumbles, making the game a bit too close for the Saints' liking. Ingram remains locked in as the 1A back in New Orleans ahead of Alvin Kamara. After getting benched for fumbles Week 8 last season, Payton went right back to Ingram in Week 9 against the 49ers, and Ingram exploded for 171 yards and two scores.

On 10/30/2017 at 6:43 PM, Joe Odam said:

The flip side to the fumbling coin is that it might also light a renewed fire under Ingram to be even better and more careful. Something Payton could use as leverage if he's as intelligent as we give him credit for

My horn.....”toot toot” lol

lets hope this is a transparent message. I’d gamble it is