NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marshawn Lynch 2017 Outlook

May be I am overthinking this. Raiders have to play the time of possession strategy in order to not have last weeks disaster. May be this is the week they feed him big. It’s a division game and they have to win this to be in the running for playoffs in this tough division 

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/28/2017 at 3:18 PM, c_dilip said:

May be I am overthinking this. Raiders have to play the time of possession strategy in order to not have last weeks disaster. May be this is the week they feed him big. It’s a division game and they have to win this to be in the running for playoffs in this tough division 

I don't own Lynch so no bias here but with Crabtree likely out and Carr always sucking v Denver, if there was ever a game for Lynch to say to his team "this is why I'm here," this is the one.

To be fair, he's been tremendously underused and a victim of horrible game flow situations. The entire Raiders offense has been garbadge these past two games - Carr, Cooper, Crabtree included. That being said, the writing was on the wall. 32 year old back with back issues coming off a year+ long layoff. On top of that,  It was obvious that any viable Raider fantasy player was going to be a headache owning at various points this season considering how ridiculous their difficulty of schedule is.

Edited by J Boogie

Like mentioned above, it's not entirely his fault for being a bust.... He's been underutilized, and the Raiders O-line has regressed.

They were one of the best units in the league last year and they've been putrid so far. 

kind of astounding this guy got so much money. it seemed obvious he was going to be worse than Richard/Washington. his off the field stuff has gotten tiring and while he gets a few nice runs, just doesn't fit with Raiders and isn't a starting quality back since 2014

Just now, hines said:

kind of astounding this guy got so much money. it seemed obvious he was going to be worse than Richard/Washington. his off the field stuff has gotten tiring and while he gets a few nice runs, just doesn't fit with Raiders and isn't a starting quality back since 2014

yeah i mostly agree although the idea is/was he could provide a dimension they didnt have with richard/washington and on paper you or me should be able to average 3.5ypc behind that line.

3 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

yeah i mostly agree although the idea is/was he could provide a dimension they didnt have with richard/washington and on paper you or me should be able to average 3.5ypc behind that line.

getting a power back is much easier than throwing big $$ at Lynch. you could draft someone or sign DeAngelo or someone instead of shelling out big money for an ancient back with back issues and who is becoming an off the field distraction with his personal business and ego

7 minutes ago, hines said:

getting a power back is much easier than throwing big $$ at Lynch. you could draft someone or sign DeAngelo or someone instead of shelling out big money for an ancient back with back issues and who is becoming an off the field distraction with his personal business and ego

It makes sense as a business decision. Hometown kid and their last year in Oakland - a lot of people were excited

17 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

hopefully they pound the ball this week with Carr out. Steelers and Jax ran on the ravens

If he doesn't show something I'm afraid this might be it for him. The offense looks so much better with Richard and Washington in the backfield. 

I think the Raiders might get creative. They'll need to. I could see Lynch start to deliver here.

Lynch signed with the Raiders so he could play for his hometown team before they move to Vegas. The team is a contender. They've got talent and a taste of winning, but the QB that brings it all together just got hurt. Bad news, yet he's back in a month or so. Long enough that this stretch, combined with their poor start, makes or breaks the season. Someone has to lead, at least by example. Comes down to what kind of competitor is Marshawn? Can he step up and keep Oakland afloat?

As far as a possible design for this offense, it could theoretically include all 3 backs on the field, wildcat, options/shovels, screens, and lots of power runs.