Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Marshawn Lynch 2017 Outlook


ajs723
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the pessimism on this thread. So many people already writing him off in their minds without even giving him a shot to prove he still has it. Should make him cheaper to acquire if he does actually look good.

Edited by OBJfor6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, OBJfor6 said:

So many people already writing him off in their minds without even giving him a shot to prove he still has it.

 

He wrote himself off last year when he decided to retire.  Can you think of anyone other than Michael Jordan who's returned from retirement and been anything other than a shadow of their former selves?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Bartos said:

3rd may be aggressive for him but 4-6th seems like risk is worth the reward 

 

Even more so with Washington being a cheap fallback cuff.    People who went Ajayi/Foster last year paid what-- a 4th/6th?    This year Lynch/Wash will be a late 3rd/12th or later.   That's likely flex production with big TD upside regardless of how it shakes out.   I can live with that risk- especially if Lynch falls into the fourth.  

Edited by Impreza178
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Even more so with Washington being a cheap fallback cuff.

 

If 2016 is any indicator of 2017, then I think you need to be really careful in this assumption.

 

Richard had 84 rushes and 39 targets.  5.9 YPC.

 

Washington had 86 rushes and 23 targets.  5.4 YPC.

 

Washington has the advantage in terms of draft pedigree, but that's basically it.  I trust numbers over my eyes, but both say that Richard was more explosive.  Gun to my head, if I had to pick which one fills in as the de facto 'starter' should Lynch miss time, I would still pick Washington, though a) I'm not sure why and b ) I wouldn't think for a second that he's a true handcuff like Ware to Charles, Henry to Murray, Gillislee to McCoy.  Instantly becomes a committee, and neither of them are probably getting goal line work anyways with Jamize Olawale known to do work down there.  Again, unless something changes from '16 to '17.

 

This offense has all the potential to produce a stud fantasy RB1.  The only constraint for fantasy owners is the players Oakland has at the position.

Edited by Lord_Varys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

 

If 2016 is any indicator of 2017, then I think you need to be really careful in this assumption.

 

Richard had 84 rushes and 39 targets.  5.9 YPC.

 

Washington had 86 rushes and 23 targets.  5.4 YPC.

 

Washington has the advantage in terms of draft pedigree, but that's basically it.  I trust numbers over my eyes, but both say that Richard was more explosive.  Gun to my head, if I had to pick which one fills in as the de facto 'starter' should Lynch miss time, I would still pick Washington, though a) I'm not sure why and b ) I wouldn't think for a second that he's a true handcuff like Ware to Charles, Henry to Murray, Gillislee to McCoy.  Instantly becomes a committee, and neither of them are probably getting goal line work anyways with Jamize Olawale known to do work down there.  Again, unless something changes from '16 to '17.

 

This offense has all the potential to produce a stud fantasy RB1.  The only constraint for fantasy owners is the players Oakland has at the position.

It's all up in the air right now.    Just spitballing possibilities.   I definitely see Wash as the main ball carrier sans Lynch. Richard has some COP potential. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2017 at 10:56 AM, joshua18 said:

 

Where would people take him in rookie/free agent drafts? Right after the top-six players?

 

Maybe in third round if my RB's were extremely weak as in I don't even have a starting RB on my roster weak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

 

If 2016 is any indicator of 2017, then I think you need to be really careful in this assumption.

 

Richard had 84 rushes and 39 targets.  5.9 YPC.

 

Washington had 86 rushes and 23 targets.  5.4 YPC.

 

Washington has the advantage in terms of draft pedigree, but that's basically it.  I trust numbers over my eyes, but both say that Richard was more explosive.  Gun to my head, if I had to pick which one fills in as the de facto 'starter' should Lynch miss time, I would still pick Washington, though a) I'm not sure why and b ) I wouldn't think for a second that he's a true handcuff like Ware to Charles, Henry to Murray, Gillislee to McCoy.  Instantly becomes a committee, and neither of them are probably getting goal line work anyways with Jamize Olawale known to do work down there.  Again, unless something changes from '16 to '17.

 

This offense has all the potential to produce a stud fantasy RB1.  The only constraint for fantasy owners is the players Oakland has at the position.

 

Latavius was out weeks 5 and 6 last year.

Combined, Washington and Richard rushed for 110 yards on 31 carries over those two games.  That's a 3.5 ypc average.  Latavius averaged 4.0 ypc.

People are deeply discounting the "change of pace" benefit coming in fresh against winded defenses: you're fresh and they're tired.  SCIENCE!

 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

 

OAK also had the 11th best run blocking line.  Not #2 like everyone likes to assume.  Pass protection is #1.

 

If Marshawn comes in and gets hurt, we're most likely looking at an RBBC with two guys you won't want to start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Combined, Washington and Richard rushed for 110 yards on 31 carries over those two games.  That's a 3.5 ypc average.  Latavius averaged 4.0 ypc.

People are deeply discounting the "change of pace" benefit coming in fresh against winded defenses

 

Not discounting anything or disputing any of that.  Never said I expect Richard to come in and give you 5.9 YPC.  Only saying that he outperformed Washington in an identical role last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, boltup15 said:

 

Maybe in third round if my RB's were extremely weak as in I don't even have a starting RB on my roster weak. 

 

You're probably right...was hoping the hype on him would be high enough to net a late 1st/early 2nd rd rookie pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I pick at the end of the second round of a 12 team rookie/free agent draft. I'd be thrilled if Lynch falls to me there. Let's see, do I want a perennial pro bowl back behind an elite offensive line, or some complete flyer rookie back. That's not even a question.  

Edited by ajs723
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marshawn Lynch will be a member of the Oakland Raiders by the end of Wednesday.

Lynch's representatives and the Raiders have agreed to terms on a contract, and the Raiders and Seahawks have already hashed out the details of a trade that would send Lynch's rights to his hometown team, multiple sources informed of the progress of negotiations on both ends of the deal have told NFL.com.

The draft compensation will be a swap of late-round picks in 2018.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4186.jpg

 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Raiders and Marshawn Lynch have agreed to a two-year contract.

Lynch will be in Oakland on Wednesday to take his physical, and if/once he passes the Raiders and Seahawks will finalize a trade. Deadlines spur action, and before the start of the draft on Thursday was when everyone involved wanted to get this thing done. Lynch turned 31 last week and was showing signs of decline in 2015 with Seattle. Maybe the year off did his body some good.
 
I love his mug shot.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Lynch turned 31 last week and was showing signs of decline in 2015 with Seattle. Maybe the year off did his body some good.

anyone that is 30 years of age or older knows this simply won't be true lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

anyone that is 30 years of age or older knows this simply won't be true lol

 

 the time off probably helped him with nagging injuries and the healing process so he is returning less banged up but that also means he is out of football shape and away from the speed and action of the game.  I think he is going to have to dig deep to motivate himself to get back into the daily physical and mental grind of the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

 the time off probably helped him with nagging injuries and the healing process so he is returning less banged up but that also means he is out of football shape and away from the speed and action of the game.  I think he is going to have to dig deep to motivate himself to get back into the daily physical and mental grind of the game. 

a standard NFL offseason can help cure nagging injuries and further any sort of healing process.   Taking a full season off and now being north of 31, he's def going to have to dig deep and get a very good physical routine going.  He better get the ice bath ready as well.  I love the story lines for Lynch and AP though.  Makes the game all the more fun to view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...