NBC Sports Edge Forums

Albert Pujols 2017 Outlook

I've heard he's planning on retiring early if his daughter makes the 2018 Olympics. Not joking, either. Not sure if she ended up making or if qualifying is even over yet. She's a gymnast, IIRC. I'm sure the Angels are seriously rooting for that considering how much they're paying him. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

I've heard he's planning on retiring early if his daughter makes the 2018 Olympics. Not joking, either. Not sure if she ended up making or if qualifying is even over yet. She's a gymnast, IIRC. I'm sure the Angels are seriously rooting for that considering how much they're paying him. 

it's easy to sound high and mighty but when you're staring at 20 something million (too lazy to look up the figure) to just swing the bat and probably by that time he will be getting a lot of rest...so 120 games a year....he will about face and show

4 hours ago, absknicks said:

I looked it up and it's 2020. Also the article says she'll only be 14 then. 

http://m.thepostgame.com/blog/more-family-fun/201502/albert-pujols-mlb-baseball-2020-olympics

Out of the lineup since #600. Wonder if he was fighting through something to hit the milestone and now they are resting him? Just speculation. 

Edit: Baseball press has him out but beat writer says he is in so potentially disregard this. 

Edited by Vote4link
New info
On 6/3/2017 at 11:52 PM, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Almost no doubt he gets to 700

Angels going to keep shelling out for while

Uh no.

Have you watched him play? He can barely run out a ground ball. I just saw him get an infield hit and the only reason he reached is because the pitcher botched the play and then the shortstop tried to barehand it, not realizing that Pujols' sprint had only gotten him halfway to 1st. He can barely climb out of the dugout anymore. 

I wonder if he even has his own parking space at Angels' park or if he just uses one of the handicap spots. 

• 1 month later...

0 for 5 today; 0 for his last 20.  I'm sure most 10-12 teamers dropped a while ago, but somehow he's still 62% owned in Yahoo.  I don't see whatever hot streaks he has left in him justifying a hold in anything but the depeest of formats.

2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

0 for 5 today; 0 for his last 20.  I'm sure most 10-12 teamers dropped a while ago, but somehow he's still 62% owned in Yahoo.  I don't see whatever hot streaks he has left in him justifying a hold in anything but the depeest of formats.

He has a lot of value in dead team formats.

im holding one more week and seeing if trout can get red hot and help out old a$$ albert

mazara hitting better lately and castellanos i guess are some other options for pujols owners

Edited by colepenhagen
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, elrey said:

The days of Pujols ever being fantasy relevant are pretty much over, no?

Yes. I'm a huge Angels fan, but he is a below average player.

70 wRC+

6% BB% (used to be 14%+)

K% rising

No speed

Power declining (on pace for ~25 homers)

Basically, he's a below average player making stud money. It's sad to see since Pujols is one of the best hitters of all time.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Yes. I'm a huge Angels fan, but he is a below average player.

70 wRC+

6% BB% (used to be 14%+)

K% rising

No speed

Power declining (on pace for ~25 homers)

Basically, he's a below average player making stud money. It's sad to see since Pujols is one of the best hitters of all time.

Based on WAR he's been literally the worst player in baseball this year. Interesting article about it here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/albert-pujols-is-the-worst-player-in-baseball/

Been a huge Pujols fan his whole career but my early memories of him continue to slip away every time I watch him flail away.  He's truly a disgrace now.  I wish he'd do the right thing and just retire.  He's signed for 4 more seasons.  I'm having nightmares imaging how much worse he can get between now and then.

Edited by Cmilne23
5 hours ago, the_wolfman said:

Based on WAR he's been literally the worst player in baseball this year. Interesting article about it here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/albert-pujols-is-the-worst-player-in-baseball/

Heh, so of course he double-dongs.  Only question is whether he's an avid fivethirtyeight reader, a secret RW forums member, or perhaps both.

Year 6 of a 10 year/240 million contract and so far he's produced 8 fWAR for the Angels. This has gotta be the worst contract in baseball history. The only reason he has any fantasy value is because of all the RBI opportunities he gets hitting behind Trout.

6 hours ago, bombard27 said:

Year 6 of a 10 year/240 million contract and so far he's produced 8 fWAR for the Angels. This has gotta be the worst contract in baseball history. The only reason he has any fantasy value is because of all the RBI opportunities he gets hitting behind Trout.

5 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

What a waste. A damn waste.

I'm sure some people will say well, Pujols is still "knocking in a lot of runs".

But look at it another way: The Angels throwing away RISP opportunities by giving so many of them to Pujols. 

Are these posts sarcasm? 

Y'all are three days late and this ain't the vent and rant thread lol the old man has 8 hits and 10 RBI in 3 days- there are about 10 players on each of my teams who don't have that in the last 30.  Give the guy a break with these late reactions and over reactions, try being a Yankees fan. We've had wayyy worse contracts look at CC, Tex, Ellsbury, etc.