NBC Sports Edge Forums

Next Closer to fall?

BirdDog20

I play in a rather deep league (12 teams x 29 players). Classic rotisserie w/ 15 position, 9 pitchers, 5 taxis. You can divide out your pitchers however you like.

I generally run 7 starters 2 closers, maybe pick up a third closer some time in the middle of the year. Primary goal is to finish middle tier in saves and let my offense carry along with sheer IP in counting stats. Been good for back to back, but this year, I was running Papelbon and Corpas ... and we all know what happened to Corpas. Unfortunately, I missed on Fuentes who was on waivers at the time Corpas blew his last save.

So now I'm looking for the next SetUp man to transition. Ideas? I picked up Heath Bell. Lots of the usual suspects are already taken: Shields, Marmol, Joba, Betancourt (already closer), Pena, Broxton.

Looking to hopefully have someone identified so i can have them on my taxi instead of having to be lucky enough to hear about it and snagging the newly annointed closer.

Was thinking the following in jeopardy:

Gagne (performance / injury history) - but no clear favorite.

Hoffman (performance / age) - Bell?

Perceival (injury history)

Ryan (injury history) - Accardo hasn't done that well recently though

Izzy (injury history) - Franklin?

T. Jones (age) - Aquilino?

Street (injury history) - Embree?

Nothing as nearly as sure of a thing as the Corpas tragedy. Lol.

I play in a rather deep league (12 teams x 29 players). Classic rotisserie w/ 15 position, 9 pitchers, 5 taxis. You can divide out your pitchers however you like.

I generally run 7 starters 2 closers, maybe pick up a third closer some time in the middle of the year. Primary goal is to finish middle tier in saves and let my offense carry along with sheer IP in counting stats. Been good for back to back, but this year, I was running Papelbon and Corpas ... and we all know what happened to Corpas. Unfortunately, I missed on Fuentes who was on waivers at the time Corpas blew his last save.

So now I'm looking for the next SetUp man to transition. Ideas? I picked up Heath Bell. Lots of the usual suspects are already taken: Shields, Marmol, Joba, Betancourt (already closer), Pena, Broxton.

Looking to hopefully have someone identified so i can have them on my taxi instead of having to be lucky enough to hear about it and snagging the newly annointed closer.

Nothing as nearly as sure of a thing as the Corpas tragedy. Lol.

Gagne - I think he'll continue to struggle and eventually be removed

Todd Jones - Just cause I think he sucks

Street - Casilla pitching beyond lights out, and Street might be traded

I think that several of these guys' injury history is behind them - Gagne i would put as the top, then maybe Percival. Then again, Percy could finish out the year and be a solid closer - you never know. Todd Jones is no better/worse than any of the other guys until Zumaya comes back, but then he'd be next. I don't hear much about the Cards' pen so i don't know if they have another person in line for the job if he does get hurt, but I don't know of another guy who would be hurt. Ryan will be fine, Street will be fine. Hoffman will close til he retires.

Gagne will definitely be removed the next time he blows a save (assuming its soon) I think Torres will replace him

Percival I do not see lasting all year and since Al Reyes is struggling I think Dan Wheeler gets a shot

I can see something going wrong with Kerry Wood eventually as well, being injury or a slew of blown saves (i dont know why)

Turnbow's last outing with 0ip 2bb 1h and a bailout by Stetter pretty much sealed it for me that he wasn't the guy. Riske has been inconsistent as well. Could be right on Torres.

Saw Casillas pitch on the ticket the other night. Looked impressive.

One other guy who i've been impressed with is Bulcholz out of Colorado if the Rox end up trading Fuentes.

Having dropped Gaudin as a streamer to pick up Heath Bell as a just in case (taxi), it looks like I may well want to backtrack and just keep closer tabs on this list.

you're just gonna have to wait until the trading season heats up in a another month or so...june 1 is a good time to start looking to see which closers will be sent off to different teams...guys like Soria will probably get traded, opening the door for major bullpen changes...it's tough though...i had/have corpas, and was lucky as hell to get fuentes (he had been recently picked up but then dropped prior to the final blown save). until then..get torres

you're just gonna have to wait until the trading season heats up in a another month or so...june 1 is a good time to start looking to see which closers will be sent off to different teams...guys like Soria will probably get traded, opening the door for major bullpen changes...it's tough though...i had/have corpas, and was lucky as hell to get fuentes (he had been recently picked up but then dropped prior to the final blown save). until then..get torres

i dunno if soria would be a trade candidate cuz he's young, cheap and good. i think the guys who are likely trade candidates are guys like: joe nathan, izzy and george sherrill.

guys i got earkmarked to take over their role should they be traded are: neshek for the twins, chris perez or maybe kyle mcclellan for the cards, and hmm.... maybe radhamez liz, dennis sarfate, or jim hoey for the o's.

i dunno if soria would be a trade candidate cuz he's young, cheap and good. i think the guys who are likely trade candidates are guys like: joe nathan, izzy and george sherrill.

guys i got earkmarked to take over their role should they be traded are: neshek for the twins, chris perez or maybe kyle mcclellan for the cards, and hmm.... maybe radhamez liz, dennis sarfate, or jim hoey for the o's.

nathan reupped for another 3 years.......no way the twins trade him after showing that committment

I am holding on way too tight to Broxton and I need Saito to faulter. Yeah, he also has a long leash, but he is also 97 years old.

Nevermind, looks like Broxton may go down first. Check Broxton thread.

Aaaarrrrrrggghhhh!!!!!!

See if you can pick up Mike Gonzalez for the Braves. Stash him on the DL. I have a feeling Soriano is hurt bad an he is not long for the year (I just cut bait and he was one of my keepers). Acosta is unimpressive and Moyer is done for the year. I think ATL is waiting on Gonzalez, who was awesome in Pitt a couple years back.

See if you can pick up Mike Gonzalez for the Braves. Stash him on the DL. I have a feeling Soriano is hurt bad an he is not long for the year (I just cut bait and he was one of my keepers). Acosta is unimpressive and Moyer is done for the year. I think ATL is waiting on Gonzalez, who was awesome in Pitt a couple years back.

I stashed him in one, so I hope you are right, but I would never put faith in a guy to close just coming off of TJ until he is 100% back.

I also have Acosta though, so I'm okay either way on that one.

Its to bad Brandon Lyon seems to have turned the corner...I had high hope for Pena initially and then Qualls.

I think even when Milwaukee removes Gagne from closing duties they will be a candidate to go get a proven closer...Sherrill, Street, Gregg.

Casilla is worth keeping and eye on, Matt Lindstrom, Mike Gonzalez definately...I think Soriano is going to have problems all year, Doug Brocail...ewww.

Its a tough go right now looking for potential saves.

Broxton going down stings.

How is Acosta unimpressive? Is he getting the job done?

EDIT: Last 7.2 INN pitched: ERA 0.00 WHIP 0.97 4Ks

I stashed him in one, so I hope you are right, but I would never put faith in a guy to close just coming off of TJ until he is 100% back.

Exactly. It's Acosta's job to lose...and he's done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's in danger of losing it. Consider Gonzalez a situational lefty for 2008 unless Acosta tanks.

well i own brandon lyons and was just forced to drop Tony Pena, so i'll go with Lyons. If i get more than 30 days or so out of Lyons before his next reacurring/season ending injury, i'll be pleased. ok so a lot can happen in 30 days, he might not be next, but he's still "most likely" in my books.

well i own brandon lyons and was just forced to drop Tony Pena, so i'll go with Lyons. If i get more than 30 days or so out of Lyons before his next reacurring/season ending injury, i'll be pleased. ok so a lot can happen in 30 days, he might not be next, but he's still "most likely" in my books.

Cmon dude....it's Brandon LYON not "LYONS". Seeing as you own him and he was probably nothing more than a late round flyer of a draft pick for you and he is currently sitting as the #5 ranked closer (only behind Paps, Rivera, Soria, and Wags) you should at least be getting his name right. It's almost May!

Cmon dude....it's Brandon LYON not "LYONS". Seeing as you own him and he was probably nothing more than a late round flyer of a draft pick for you and he is currently sitting as the #5 ranked closer (only behind Paps, Rivera, Soria, and Wags) you should at least be getting his name right. It's almost May!

i prefer that people get names right and all, but please...you knew who he was talking about, get off his back and go inventory all of your feces that you have stored and labled in jars in the basement. and in case you're too dense to understand what i meant there, it means you're being needlessly anal retentive.

Kevin Gregg. What's this guy's deal? Any Marlin fans out there...pleae tell me, do you get nervous with him on the mound? Got the save tonight, but gave up another run and I Justin Miller is doing well so far.

Archived