NBC Sports Edge Forums

Next Closer to fall?

BirdDog20

QUOTE(a.k47 @ Apr 30 2008, 01:12 AM) *

well i own brandon lyons and was just forced to drop Tony Pena, so i'll go with Lyons. If i get more than 30 days or so out of Lyons before his next reacurring/season ending injury, i'll be pleased. ok so a lot can happen in 30 days, he might not be next, but he's still "most likely" in my books.

Cmon dude....it's Brandon LYON not "LYONS". Seeing as you own him and he was probably nothing more than a late round flyer of a draft pick for you and he is currently sitting as the #5 ranked closer (only behind Paps, Rivera, Soria, and Wags) you should at least be getting his name right. It's almost May!

lol i'm gonna go edit my signature now....shrugs

I hope Izzy is next to lose his job. He is a joke so far. 3 BS and a 7.11 ERA. Not too shabby

who would be in line behind him?

anyone on the farm?

i prefer that people get names right and all, but please...you knew who he was talking about, get off his back and go inventory all of your feces that you have stored and labled in jars in the basement. and in case you're too dense to understand what i meant there, it means you're being needlessly anal retentive.

Got to love this. I agree with you 100% Damn I hate that.

now smoltz seems to to have inherited the closer role before he even comes off the DL? wtf is that about? this guy is 64 years old...yes, he is amazing, great, HOF material and all that, but how is a better injury risk than soriano?

Ryan Franklin would be next in line. His ERA is at 1.93. Dont know too much about STL's farm system

My vote would be for Kyle McClellan. He's pitching well so far this year, he's young, has a good arm, throws hard and has decent strikeout potential.

Hoffman's arm would literally have to fall complety off before he would lose his job to Bell. Living here in San Diego there aren't too many players beyond Hoffman and Peavy on the Padres lineup that fans/front office love more. The Padres love having a 1-2-3 punch in Meridith-Bell-Hoffman and that has been the formula since the 2004 season when Petco opened. It won't change until Hoffman's contract is up and he's not the Padres biggest problem right now it's the offense which is tough to watch for us fans.

I am holding on way too tight to Broxton and I need Saito to faulter. Yeah, he also has a long leash, but he is also 97 years old.

I feel the same way. I released Saito into the draft this year because I didn't want to pay for his saves, and I was hoping maybe the Dodgers would package him with Pierre to convince someone to take on Pierre. Also, I figured since it was his third season in the league, guys would start figuring him out and Broxton would have take over. The Dodgers have so many talented young pitchers and many of them have been designated as relievers. They can't hold them all back forever. Broxton needs to close (for me anyway) and if Meloan takes over in the eighth, even better.

And like the Czar said, Saito's practically a walking fossil.

It won't change until Hoffman's contract is up and he's not the Padres biggest problem right now it's the offense which is tough to watch for us fans.

A trade of Juan Pierre, Brian Roberts and Jason Bay could fix that.

A trade of Juan Pierre, Brian Roberts and Jason Bay could fix that.

The Padres won't make that sort of deal and give up Headley or Antonelli. They say that they are building from the inside 'a la' D-backs and Rockies. So, the Padres will be pretty bad for the next couple years. Which is unfortunate considering the rotation of the past couple years and now are World Series caliber.

The Padres won't make that sort of deal and give up Headley or Antonelli. They say that they are building from the inside 'a la' D-backs and Rockies. So, the Padres will be pretty bad for the next couple years. Which is unfortunate considering the rotation of the past couple years and now are World Series caliber.

With Greg Maddux, Brian Giles, Jim Edmonds and Trevor Hoffman they are rebuilding? If that's the case, they better put a fire under it before Peavy and Young land in the East Coast.

To keep this on the the closer thread, Hoffman could be as much trade bait as Headley or Antonelli.

With Greg Maddux, Brian Giles, Jim Edmonds and Trevor Hoffman they are rebuilding? If that's the case, they better put a fire under it before Peavy and Young land in the East Coast.

To keep this on the the closer thread, Hoffman could be as much trade bait as Headley or Antonelli.

I agree they send mixed signals. The hope was to continue to be competetive and rebuild at the same time but right now it doesn't look to be working. Plus, most of those guys are on their way out the door with mostly one year contracts. Overall, it's a mess and you could see CY on the east coast but I wouldn't be surprised if Peavy was a Padre for a long time unless they trade him for a slew of young players like the Twins/Mets Santana deal.

Hoffman on the other hand will retire a Padre. The front office would never let him do such a thing, as going to another team, since he is a HOF in waiting.

I agree they send mixed signals. The hope was to continue to be competetive and rebuild at the same time but right now it doesn't look to be working. Plus, most of those guys are on their way out the door with mostly one year contracts. Overall, it's a mess and you could see CY on the east coast but I wouldn't be surprised if Peavy was a Padre for a long time unless they trade him for a slew of young players like the Twins/Mets Santana deal.

Hoffman on the other hand will retire a Padre. The front office would never let him do such a thing, as going to another team, since he is a HOF in waiting.

Hoffman is definitely HOF material but he is NOT trade bait. What team whats a 40 something year old closer who has been having problems since the end of last year?????????

Hoffman is definitely HOF material but he is NOT trade bait. What team whats a 40 something year old closer who has been having problems since the end of last year?????????

You would rather have Borowski (who will close again this year), Todd Jones or Eric Gagne as your closer than Trevor Hoffman?

A part of me thinks that Hoffman has been a little snake bit since giving it up against the Rockies last year but the guy is a gamer and he will come around. But yes, he will never be traded. The Padres have made that very clear.

Archived