NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cam Newton 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, petekrum said:

Agreed, he'll be fine for the season. Non issue.

Not a big issue for a QB to have surgery to his rotator cuff in late March? is this satire? No way you can be serious that this is not an issue. Have you ever had surgery on a rotator cuff? I have, and while Cam will have great doctors, I had one as well. And even with rehab, projections of being able to throw is very very generous here. To say it is a non issue is just not a reality. especially if its been hurt since Wk 14. The range of motion being a gradual process, we need to hear about how he rehabs before we know if its a non issue. If he had surgery in early January, I would feel better for training camp. He may participate earlier than he even should, but he is just coming off a rotator cuff tear and this time table is rushing him back.

4 hours ago, Mavis said:

Not a big issue for a QB to have surgery to his rotator cuff in late March? is this satire? No way you can be serious that this is not an issue. Have you ever had surgery on a rotator cuff? I have, and while Cam will have great doctors, I had one as well. And even with rehab, projections of being able to throw is very very generous here. To say it is a non issue is just not a reality. especially if its been hurt since Wk 14. The range of motion being a gradual process, we need to hear about how he rehabs before we know if its a non issue. If he had surgery in early January, I would feel better for training camp. He may participate earlier than he even should, but he is just coming off a rotator cuff tear and this time table is rushing him back.

Come week one of the season,  he'll be behind center as always. 

21 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Come week one of the season,  he'll be behind center as always. 

Not so sure about that. And there is now concern for re-injury. Will be interesting to see the approach the Panthers take with the offense next season.

The bigger issue is do they draft a reciever?

Olsen is on the decline and Ginn just left. He's going to continue to struggle unless they take a top WR. Hopefully Funchess can take a step forward and maybe Benjamin can at the very least not hurt the team by being on the field.

13 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

The bigger issue is do they draft a reciever?

Olsen is on the decline and Ginn just left. He's going to continue to struggle unless they take a top WR. Hopefully Funchess can take a step forward and maybe Benjamin can at the very least not hurt the team by being on the field.

I expect them to take one in the 3rd.

5 hours ago, Mavis said:

It was clear after week 14 that he was hurt.  Incredibly stupid to continue playing him last season.  Then they doubled down on stupid by having him wait so long to get surgery.

12 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

It was clear after week 14 that he was hurt.  Incredibly stupid to continue playing him last season.  Then they doubled down on stupid by having him wait so long to get surgery.

From what I've heard they waited because there was a chance it could heal on its own. Since it hasn't they've opted for surgery.

27 minutes ago, petekrum said:

From what I've heard they waited because there was a chance it could heal on its own. Since it hasn't they've opted for surgery.

Thats why this is not good. It didnt heal on its own, so they have to re-injure him to heal him per say. They have to take away the scar tissue then put it back together, essentially putting more stress on that shoulder to heal. Thats why waiting 3 months to do it is absolutely more than alarming on time frame. Its not that he will recover, I have no doubt time will fix him, but if he rushes back in an injury that should take more time than rushing is not good.

6 hours ago, Mavis said:

Not a big issue for a QB to have surgery to his rotator cuff in late March? is this satire? No way you can be serious that this is not an issue.

To say it is a non issue is just not a reality. especially if its been hurt since Wk 14.

So... it happened week 14?

He played Week 15 and threw 300 yards.

He played Week 16 and threw the ball 43 times.

He played Week 17...

All with it torn.

Now, they're going to surgically repair it...

and I'm suppose to worry he won't be able to play through it?

Currently the 6th QB off the board, behind the obvious 3, Luck and Ryan.

Ryan is a DND for me.  Cam will likely fall a round or 2 due to this news, missing OTA, hopefully he misses pre-season too, because I love bargains.

Ben, Wilson, Prescott, Carr are the next 4 QBs off the board.  I'd rather have Cam for 12 weeks than any of those guys for 16 I think.  I have no issue streaming for a few weeks if the price on Cam is right, even if we pretend he doesn't play week 1.  Yes it's an added risk, but his price will likely have that already factored in, so it's a moot point.  Cam has always had an inherent risk attached to him, at least this time we know.  A nice opportunity for a bounce back season, QB is the easiest position to replace if worse comes to worst, and by the time I draft, we should know exactly what the situation is.

As of right now, it's a non issue, until something happens that makes me think otherwise.

26 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

So... it happened week 14?

He played Week 15 and threw 300 yards.

He played Week 16 and threw the ball 43 times.

He played Week 17...

All with it torn.

Now, they're going to surgically repair it...

and I'm suppose to worry he won't be able to play through it?

Currently the 6th QB off the board, behind the obvious 3, Luck and Ryan.

Ryan is a DND for me.  Cam will likely fall a round or 2 due to this news, missing OTA, hopefully he misses pre-season too, because I love bargains.

Ben, Wilson, Prescott, Carr are the next 4 QBs off the board.  I'd rather have Cam for 12 weeks than any of those guys for 16 I think.  I have no issue streaming for a few weeks if the price on Cam is right, even if we pretend he doesn't play week 1.  Yes it's an added risk, but his price will likely have that already factored in, so it's a moot point.  Cam has always had an inherent risk attached to him, at least this time we know.  A nice opportunity for a bounce back season, QB is the easiest position to replace if worse comes to worst, and by the time I draft, we should know exactly what the situation is.

As of right now, it's a non issue, until something happens that makes me think otherwise.

Hello FFC, I'm curious as to your opinion on what you think happened overall to Cam and the Panthers offense that sent them in such a tail spin compared to Cam's really good season in 15'?  I love the idea of Cam slipping a round or two and i agree, the value could be a very fruitful one by draft days end in redraft leagues.  Cam took his hits in spades in 16' but i don't think his sack totals were all that far off his 15' numbers.  Something stunk last year in Carolina and to be honest, i have a hard time placing my finger on it.  Going through Cam's FF numbers from last year(standard/4ppTDpassing / 6ppTDrushing), he rode a crazy rollercoaster with some highs and many average to lows, just curious what you think could lead to a nice bounce back year for Cam and what has to happen for that to take place?

1 hour ago, FFCollusion said:

As of right now? No, he is about to have surgery, that is an issue. Your denial notwithstanding. I do have to say, I am quite relieved that Cam is going to be OK and its a non issue from all the arm chair message board doctors out there. :P While some talk the possibility of what it takes to heal, people talk in "I know better certainties."

We are not doctors and he could heal in a week for all we know, these guys are incredible human specimens, but to ever say when a man goes under the knife that its a non issue, we have to take that with a grain of salt as no offense FFC, as a person who went through this surgery, the doctor before hand informs you if the possible after issues. Not everyone is ADP and can heal like an alien. I just suggest caution while others say go full speed ahead, which I guess is OK for some. 

Edited by Mavis

33 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

Hello FFC, I'm curious as to your opinion on what you think happened overall to Cam and the Panthers offense that sent them in such a tail spin compared to Cam's really good season in 15'?  I love the idea of Cam slipping a round or two and i agree, the value could be a very fruitful one by draft days end in redraft leagues.  Cam took his hits in spades in 16' but i don't think his sack totals were all that far off his 15' numbers.  Something stunk last year in Carolina and to be honest, i have a hard time placing my finger on it.  Going through Cam's FF numbers from last year(standard/4ppTDpassing / 6ppTDrushing), he rode a crazy rollercoaster with some highs and many average to lows, just curious what you think could lead to a nice bounce back year for Cam and what has to happen for that to take place?

That's easy.  

The offensive line got decimated with injuries.  Off the top of my head:

LT Oher got hurt.  They then had to move Wimmers to LT.  And he was an average at best IMO pass blocker at RT, let alone LT.

Center Kalil got hurt.  

The backup RT got hurt.  That required them to move their RG to RT.

Then one of the backup interior linemen that was having to start got hurt.  

So at the end of the year they were down to:

LT #2

LG #1

C #2/3

RG #2/3

RT #3

Yeah, your entire offense is going to struggle at that point. 

I can go back and check my weekly notes for the exact configuration by year end at C/RG but you get the idea. 

This is also why it was pointless to leave Cam out there at year end.

A bounceback starts and ends with the OL (leaving Cam's health out of it for the moment).

They signed Kalil to play LT.  I have questions there still.  He's hasn't been healthy or good since his rookie year. 

LG/C/RG should be excellent. 

RT is still up in the air.  If I'm them I'm drafting a RT that can walk in and start this draft. 

11 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

The offensive line got decimated with injuries.  Off the top of my head:

Thanks for the info,96.  I wonder how the OL graded out for Carolina overall from 2015, then to 2016?  Injuries aside, just the way the Carolina OL ranked/graded vs other OL's across the league from that year to the next?

Edited by BlakeP42

13 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

Thanks for the info,96.  I wonder how the OL graded out for Carolina overall from 2015, then to 2016?  Injuries aside, just the way they ranked/graded vs other OL's across the league from that year to the next?

Can't tell you exactly how other sources had them graded but the following is how I evaluated them in 2015:

Norwell Kalil Turner GCG excellent combo.  Allowed them to power run at will and put them in favorable passing situations.

OTs were both weak in pass pro.  Both needed help.   Which made them vulnerable to extra rushers and the blitz.  Also made them vulnerable if they fell behind and had to go into throw mode. This played out in the Super Bowl loss to Denver.  Which as an aside was an awful offensive gameplan.  Carolina should have been content to play a smash mouth field position game and hope their D won it.  Because it was insane to expect Oher and Wimmers to hold up vs Ware and Miller ENTERING the game.  And after two drives it was obvious those guys were overmatched yet they kept dropping back to pass and leaving Cam vulnerable to the pass rush.   That should have been a game they ran the ball literally 35 to 40 times between the RBs and QB.  Yet they didn't.  Not sure if that was due to stupidity or hubris.  

Edited to add:  How do you slow down a vicious pass rush?   Punch them in the mouth repeated throughout the game starting in quarter one.  By the late 3rd and 4th quarters that D will be gassed.

I'll probably get crap for this, but I don't like the loss of Ted Ginn. Say what you want about Ginn, but he made plays in Carolina and had good deep ball chemistry with Cam. Who do they have to take the top off the defense now? Olsen wasn't as good last season, and after a monster Week 1 KB turned in a crap season. I do like Funchess, so there's still hope, but the lack of weapons is a bit of a concern to me.

That said, if Cam can make up for some of that with his rushing, he should be ok. I was all over him 2 years ago at his price (10th round plus in most leagues) and considered him a DND at his ADP last summer. 

The biggest thing I'll need to see is if Cam goes before the likes of Winston and Mariota, because if he does, I'll probably just wait and try to snag one of those two (or TyGod if they aren't there).

Edited by mrblonde1984

3 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I'll probably get crap for this, but I don't like the loss of Ted Ginn. Say what you want about Ginn, but he made plays in Carolina and had good deep ball chemistry with Cam. Who do they have to take the top off the defense now? Olsen wasn't as good last season, and after a monster Week 1 KB turned in a crap season. I do like Funchess, so there's still hope, but the lack of weapons is a bit of a concern to me.

That said, if Cam can make up for some of that with his rushing, he should be ok. I was all over him 2 years ago at his price (10th round plus in most leagues) and considered him a DND at his ADP last summer. 

The biggest thing I'll need to see is if Cam goes before the likes of Winston and Mariota, because if he does, I'll probably just wait and try to snag one of those two (or TyGod if they aren't there).

Ginn has been their best WR each of the past 2 years. No one gets open consistently deep like he does. If he could actually catch, he'd easily be a top-15 NFL receiver.

I don't see how this shoulder surgery helps Cam's rushing upside, which is a big part of his FFL value...he's only thrown for more than 4000 yards once in his career and that was his rookie season.

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

Ginn has been their best WR each of the past 2 years. No one gets open consistently deep like he does. If he could actually catch, he'd easily be a top-15 NFL receiver.

I don't see how this shoulder surgery helps Cam's rushing upside, which is a big part of his FFL value...he's only thrown for more than 4000 yards once in his career and that was his rookie season.

This.

Cam has taken a beating.   They needed do lessen his rushing load before this news of the. severity of his shoulder injury broke anyway.  

As for the Ginn role,  other than not having chemistry with Cam Charles Johnson can fill Ginn's role.  

I expect Cam to still run in goal line situations, which is where most of his rushing value is claimed.
It's something almost every QB does but Cam just happens to be the best in the league at it. 

Newton does have intriguing speed compared to most QBs but it's his agility and power that set him apart from the rest.

The WRs are a huge concern though. I lost count of how many drops there were on 3rd and 10s. I wouldn't be surprised if the team went WR in round 1 or 2. Benjamin isn't getting any better or younger and his contract is expiring soon, especially if they decline the club option.

6 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

It's something almost every QB does but Cam just happens to be the best in the league at it. 

Just happens to be?  He has 4 of the top 6 rushing TD seasons for a QB since entering the league. RG3's rookie season is #4, and Dak tied him for the #5 spot.

Did this injury happen recently? Why wait so long after the season has ended to address this issue? I don't understand when things like this happen.

Now the best case scenario is that he will be ready for Week 1 if all goes well in rehab. When this entire process could have been started much earlier. Maybe they were waiting to see if it'd heal without surgery?

Cam Newton is undergoing surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder Thursday.

The surgery was announced last week. Newton is expected to resume a limited throwing program 12 weeks after surgery and start throwing with the team in fourth months. That timeline makes him questionable for the start of training camp, and he could sit out the entire preseason. Newton should be ready for Week 1 if his rehab goes as planned.

Injuries like that sometimes heal on their own. It wasn't progressing so they had him go under the knife to repair it.

I like Cam as my fantasy QB as long as the value is right. He hasn't deviated much from his career averages outside of the passing TD explosion 2 years ago. As long as his running and rushing TDs won't be limited he is probably a lock for top-10 fantasy production at QB.