NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Newton 2017 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, alexander1231 said:

The Panthers continue to trot out Russell Shepard at the expense of Curtis Samuel who people thought they were gonna use like Percy Harvin or at least be Ted Ginn 2.0 to an extent.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Panthers continue to ignore the O-line while continuing to draft D-linemen when they are perfectly fine at that position.

Whenever your franchise QB is the leading rusher year after year since he's been in the league is a big cause for concern.

After the goal line dive, it was clear that Cam was hurt. His passes afterwards looked like he was just shoving the ball to the WRs/CMC. I get Cam is a dual QB but he shouldn't have to be the leading rusher when you got paid RBs on the roster.

Mike Shula needs to go and who ever is responsible for drafting.

Cam wanted to win bad last night and it showed by his sacrifice, but you can't ask him to throw 52 times on a bum shoulder. The OC needs to go..

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Wow....-3 for interceptions? That's a lot. It's only -1pt in many of my leagues. Rushing is 1 pt every 10 yards. 1 pt every 15 yards passing.

ESPN default is 4 point passing TD's, -2 for interceptions. I figured since I raised passing touchdowns to 6, I should raise interceptions to -3. Higher reward but a higher risk. 

On 10/13/2017 at 7:27 PM, TX Babe Ruth said:

After the goal line dive, it was clear that Cam was hurt.

It doesn't show up in the reports, but as I am going up against Newton twice next weekend, it wouldn't hurt my chances if he... well, is hurting (sorry Cam).

Is there any report of him being limited in practice so far this week? I'm afraid he'll have a monster game against Chicago, especially after 10 day rest.

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

It doesn't show up in the reports, but as I am going up against Newton twice next weekend, it wouldn't hurt my chances if he... well, is hurting (sorry Cam).

Is there any report of him being limited in practice so far this week? I'm afraid he'll have a monster game against Chicago, especially after 10 day rest.

I doubt they have practiced too much for this weekend yet.

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Hes been limited pretty much all year recovering from that surgery so I wouldn’t think that being limited this week would necessarily be indicative of a new injury

Okido. Then I'll accept the inevitable and switch from fantasy whiner to real life football enthusiast and try to enjoy the performance of one of the most interesting QBs in the league. To be honest, the fact that he is playing as well as he is with a banged up shoulder is pretty impressive.

1 minute ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

The Bears defense will get after you and they are not as bad as people think. It won't be a cake walk for Cam or the panthers.

I think the Panthers play better on the road for some odd reason, too.

They're actually the 10th ranked defense against QB believe it or not

32 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

They're actually the 10th ranked defense against QB believe it or not

Yeah but this I always consider a bit weird stat. Defense against WR or RB: sure. Defense ranking against TE or QB I take a lot less serious, especially when it's substantially different from the "against WR" ranking.

Besides, you need to consider Cam at least 50% as an RB.

Edited by Boudewijn

It seems like the more adversity and people that doubt Cam the better he plays the following week. So hopefully he's lower on the rankings rather than higher. Throw in some "must sit"s for good measure lol. They tend to look strong on the road too because back before they were getting excited our stadium would be filled with opposing fans and wine and cheesers, so the team would get zero crowd advantage. If an iconic team came into town they'd drown out the actual fans it'd seem. They sort of just adapted to this, so they aren't any better or any worse on the road. This helped lead them to some huge winning streaks in the past when they get hot. My biggest concern in this game, aside from the bad coaching, is the field condition. Soldier Field's surface is infamous for being bad. Hopefully the game doesn't get too ugly, but I confidently start the big guy each week. 

1 hour ago, FinsUp24 said:

Not liking the probable game script for Cam this week. It would be a shocker if the panthers aren't leading for most of this game and they love to pound the ball and kill the clock when they have a lead

I don’t get this rationale, if Carolina has a big lead then it’s likely because Cam has some nice fantasy stats...

Plus I think this game will be competitive so Cam is going to have to throw and run himself. 

17 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Big bounce back against TB this week, or stay way. Typically I like playing Cam coming off a bad game because he hates people knocking him. But he's been pretty bad lately.

Fantasy wise he has not been bad as of late, last game yes, but his 3 previous were very good.  He has also had some pretty bad luck with turnovers. At  least 4 of his INT's were not his fault and the fumble last week was not his fault either.

I see him doing well this week as long as his O-line can keep McCoy away... 285 yards 2 TD's + 45 yards on the ground.