NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Newton 2017 Season Outlook

There's been some interesting (albeit "out there") speculation that the KB trade might actually help Cam. He's apparently at his best when he has WRs to stretch the field (i.e. Ginn, and to a lesser extent Olsen). Apparently the Panthers realized they didn't have a receiving group that played to Cam's strength so the KB trade is to promote Curtis Samuel and focus more on speed receivers alongside McCaffrey.

I guess they had two big dudes who couldn't get much separation and Cam throws into tight coverage a lot.

Not that it will make Cam any better, obviously, but it'll be interesting to see how the offense looks this Sunday. 

Edited by LongBalls
  • Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I know most of you have Cam while I on the other hand have Funchess. Do you think with now looking more to funchess, he gets the ball out of his hand quicker? Always seemed when looking towards KB as his first option the play took forever to develop. Getting the ball out of his hands to his play makers could really be beneficial. 

Unfortunately  I could only get my hands on Cam in a trade after Watson got hurt so here I am. I'm not expecting much from Cam but I'm facing Eli (opponent's QB on bye) so I hope he can at least outscore him.

I acquired Cam as part of a trade for Calvin Johnson in 2013 and I won the chip that year. I never started Cam that season and eventually traded him away. But his statistical volatility looks the same as it was in 2013.

31 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Unfortunately  I could only get my hands on Cam in a trade after Watson got hurt so here I am. I'm not expecting much from Cam but I'm facing Eli (opponent's QB on bye) so I hope he can at least outscore him.

I acquired Cam as part of a trade for Calvin Johnson in 2013 and I won the chip that year. I never started Cam that season and eventually traded him away. But his statistical volatility looks the same as it was in 2013.

In fantasy, youll be fine. Actual football....Hot garbage usually stinks.

Edited by Zekepeak86
4 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

In fantasy, youll be fine. Actual football....Hot garbage usually stinks.

I hope so. He's been held under 19 points in 5/8 games in my league this year (7 and 14 in the last 2 games respectively). I need him for the next 2 games against ATL and MIA at home, but I'm not very confident at all. That's what I get for trading Drew Brees to the Rodgers owner.

1 hour ago, mjb said:

Anyone starting Cam?  He just can't throw TD's for some reason..

I’m pretty much stuck with him in my 2QB league. The QB position has been such a wasteland this year due to injuries. One guy in my league is having to roll with Beathard and Savage, so I don’t feel quite so bad, lol.

I'm not sure it'll be changed. What are the rules for being called a forward pass? Does the ball have to end up further on the field than where it was thrown or does it just have to be in front of the past catcher? I attached screenshots of it. Cam tosses at the 8 yard line and that looks like where McCaffrey catches it. It's definitely tossed in front of McCaffrey though.

Full disclosure: I started Cam and am in a close match where a stat correction would help quite a bit.

Here's an imgur album of three frames from the score: https://imgur.com/a/CIsMk

First image is where cam releases, second where McCaffrey catches, third is showing the ball in front of McCaffrey.

2 hours ago, Silkk1211 said:

I came in this thread to see if anyone was talking about the pass forward to cmac because I watched live and it was definitely a forward pass. I am in a real close matchup so I won’t be happy if that stat error costs me!!

It is currently the difference in my game with a couple guys going tonight that I'm on the short end of in terms of projections so I could definitely use it.  It sure looked like a shuttle pass to me when I saw it but I'm biased.